Thursday, June 19, 2014

Quotable: Home

"Home, the spot of earth supremely blest, 
A dearer, sweeter spot than all the rest."
~ Robert Montgomery



“The way you keep your house, the way you organize your time, the care you take in your 

personal appearance, the things you spend your money on, all speak loudly about what 

you believe. The beauty of thy peace shines forth in an ordered life. A disordered life 

speaks loudly of disorder in the soul.” 

~Elisabeth Elliot, Let Me Be a Woman


"The best way to keep children at home is to 
make the atmosphere pleasant, and let the 
air out of the tires."
~ Dorothy Parker


Your home doesn't have to be fancy, expensive, or perfect to be enjoyed! It must be full of love and respect, joy and discipline. It is best enjoyed when it is neat and orderly, warm and inviting. My home is simple and (I've been told many times) cozy! We have a lot of home improvement projects that need to be completed...and we work on them as time and money allow. I would love to completely redo my kitchen, walls need patched and painted, ceilings need repainted, floors need redone, our addition needs to be worked on and finished (because right now it serves as an oversized mudroom!). Outside, we have to purchase and install a few more windows upstairs (and get a new one for the kitchen. When we bought this house, it was already there and is double paned. The inside of the double panes is dirty and I can't get to it to clean it ~ drives me buggy!), finish hanging the siding and finish a patch of the roof that needs replaced.

As the homemaker, I do my best to make what we *do* have as tidy, organized, lovely and cozy as possible. One friend, who reads my blog and sees my photos, visited my home for the first time, recently, and was surprised how much smaller it is in real life. She thought the photos made it look much bigger! So, my home is small and nothing "fancy"....it is very much a "fixer-upper" and we thank God for the ability to own our own home (with a VERY affordable mortgage) and work on it as we can. I would never want to be in a bigger/nicer home with a mortgage that could only be paid if my husband and I both worked out of the home. I consider it a *huge* blessing to be home to tend my children and keep my house...even though many see that as a less-than-desirable life.

Sometimes I feel frustrated and over-whelmed with things that need to be accomplished here...and then the Lord reminds me how blessed we are to have a home...and how truly, this is not our eternal home. Often, *home* can be idolized....or the *idea* of home can be. I refuse to make my home an idol. It serves us well and I *will* be thankful. God has been so faithful to us and for me to ever have anything less than the utmost gratitude is truly unacceptable in my eyes.


"A woman should be home with the children, building that home and making sure there is a secure family atmosphere."

~ Mel Gibson 
(I know, I know...there is a lot of controversy swirling around him...
but this quote of his, I believe to be truly *right* on!)



 “The way we live ought to manifest the truth of what we 

believe. A messy life speaks of a messy and incoherent faith.” 

~Elisabeth Elliot, Let Me Be a Woman



If therefore our houses be houses of the Lord, we shall for that reason love home, reckoning our daily devotion the sweetest of our daily delights; and our family-worship the most valuable of our family-comforts... A church in the house will be a good legacy, nay, it will be a good inheritance, to be left to your children after you.

~ Matthew Henry



Chris going up on the roof to measure for shingles...


We have had a lot of storms the past few days. They have been the worst at night. The children slept on the floor of my bedroom while Chris sat downstairs monitoring the weather on the computer and his scanner. Around 11pm, we were awoken by loud thunder, lots of lightning and no electric. It was pitch black and no air circulation (by the fan). We all went downstairs and found Chris sitting by lamp light. Our electric came on hours later, in the wee hours...but none of us slept well at all. Humidity with no fan or air movement is just awful. It saddens me that there are people around the world who must live in that condition without the option of a fan. I can't even imagine how hard that would be...unless you get used to it, maybe? I tossed and turned all night. I had to teach spin class early this morning too...I definitely think I am going to need a nap today! ;)


It is my hope to encourage you today, in the home God has provided for you. Maybe it is a very expensive home, well furnished with beauty at every turn....or maybe it is simple, terribly lacking in ways and needing much in the way of improvement. Or...maybe it is somewhere in between. I hope you find contentment in what you have. Use the abilities God has given you to keep your home clean, tidy, organized and well decorated (which doesn't mean spending a lot of money). Even a "less than perfect" house can be warm and inviting! :) 
Have a great rest of your week!
Kindly,
Katy
Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth

7 comments:

  1. This is the best homemaking encouragement I've seen in a long while. I think your home is wonderful. The care you put into it is obvious. I really like the stove in the corner, too.
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage
    A very humble home in need of many repairs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments today about keeping a home inviting and cozy. We have a modest home but it is our home and that makes it wonderful. Thank you for the reminder to be content with whatever we have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are actually moving in the middle of next month to "down size" so I can continue to stay at home. We are going from a expensive rental, to a 3 bedroom Mobile Home that is a 1/3 of the price we are paying now. I'm just thankful we found a place that is cheaper & that is cozy. Our family & friends think we are crazy, & can't understand why in the world we would ever want to live in a mobile home! I can honestly say God had to give us a huge lesson recently to realize this is what needed to happen. I believe with all of my heart that God wants me to continue to stay at home & has provided a place for that to happen! Yes it needed work, yes it is smaller, yes its going to be an adjustment, but God knows what's best for us!! Have a wonderful weekend, and I love your house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your words of homemaking encouragement. I really needed to hear them this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Katy, i just want to thank you for making time to write your blog on a regular basis. I tell myself most days that i will write a post then i get side tracked and it just does not happen! You have a young family and busy day's, yet, you make the time to write, thank you. Your posts bring me great comfort at times and its lovely to see your day in pictures :) Have a lovely peaceful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely post Katy.

    I love reading about your cosy Christian home. With the Lord's help, I am striving daily to make this happen in my own house. Thank you for the gentle reminder about being grateful for all our blessings and provision.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely blog! I love what you have shared. Our home is of the same stuff... Small but ours... but there are blessings such as only 1 bathroom to clean... And it is a work in progress. Our sun-room is in dire need of work, but that will be taken care of when the funds are available and I try and be thankful for what we do have which is plenty! And boy do I know those humid nights with no electricity. We have lost power twice during that muggy, thick heat right before a rain that can choke you and I lay in bed without that fan blowing wanting to cry! How thankful we are for the little things like a 3-speed fan once the juice comes back on! Thank you for joining up on the Art of Home-Making Mondays. I do hope you join us again next week as your blog is a perfect fit! P.S. I love the quotes you share. I have one of the Elizabeth Elliot ones in a post right now which is about to go out :)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy