Thursday, June 5, 2014

Eternal Things

"Our Master has never promised us success. He demands obedience. He expects faithfulness. Results are His concern, not ours. And our reputation is a matter of no consequence at all."
~ Amy Carmichael, Gold Cord p. 51

"...but a question comes and will not be quieted: What might it not mean for others if all of us who are seeking after a country of our own, a better Country, that is, a heavenly [one], lived more like pilgrims here?"
~ Amy Carmichael, p. 29

Is your heart weighing heavy with the cares of the world? You try, try, try but nothing ever comes out right? Things seem to be crashing in around you....everywhere you turn its another frustration, failure or disappointment. Are you weary and worn? Take heart...this world is not your home. If you are a child of God...a follower of Christ (if He is your all in all) ~ these things are but a drop in the ocean of eternity. 

"Nothing could ever matter again but the things that were eternal..."
~ Amy Carmichael, p. 15

Wherever you are....here and now...this very moment, all that truly matters is the eternal. Souls are living and dying and *that*....that is much weightier than your imperfections. All we can do, day in, day out...moment by moment...is seek Him Who is greater. Glorifying Him through our thoughts, deeds and emotions. 

"Selfish, selfish, selfish...it's all I am" ~ those thoughts swirl through my head day and night. It frustrates me, as "selfish" is the last thing I want to be. I am constantly realizing my own weakness and feeling utterly defeated....but then....as if He knows me (as He most certainly does...more than any other)...He reminds me what Paul wrote in 2nd Corinthians 12:9-10:

But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Amen! Hallelujah! I *am* weak....and I *know* it! He shows me that when I am weak ~ I am actually strong. Knowing that He is for me...I can endure it all! This does *not* excuse my selfish behaviors or thoughts...but rather it helps to encourage me to recognize them, repent and then let it go as He works through me. Then, as I let go of *me*...I can better serve *Him* by serving others!

"Follow no voice, not mine or any other which is not His. My soul, wait thou only upon God, for my expectation is from Him."
~ Robert Wilson

I am (among other books) reading Gold Cord by Amy Carmichael. It is a blessing, truly, and you will find such hope, encouragement and pearls of wisdom in it. I highly recommend it. It has helped me put my focus on the eternal. At the beginning of chapter five, they have this quote from Ellice Hopkins (may it encourage you tremendously)...

"Do you know that lovely fact about the opal? That, in the first place, it is made only of desert dust, sand, silica, and owes its beauty and preciousness to a defect. It is a stone with a broken heart. It is full of minute fissures which admit air, and the air refracts the light. Hence its lovely hues, and that sweet lamp of fire that ever burns at its heart, for the breath of the Lord God is in it. 

You are only conscious of the cracks and desert dust, but so He makes His precious opal. We must be broken in ourselves before we can give back the lovely hues of His light, and the lamp in the temple can burn in us and never go out."


I pray you realize that when you are His, eternity is what truly matters. Putting it all into perspective makes the cares of this world seem minute!

Here is just a bit of home to share...a bit of this and that from the past couple days...




My knitting is slower lately...as other things keep me busy during these warmer months. I still knit though when I need some down time! Here is a finished dishcloth and then another I am working on currently...



Oh how he wants to play...maybe X will teach him one day...



I mowed the front yard this afternoon. Soon it will be time to prepare supper...



Also, before I go, I want to share THIS video with you. It is about an hour long about the Amish life of one family. I don't agree with everything the Amish believe but this family doesn't seem to either. They truly seek the Lord's will and desire to honor Him in all they do (thus why they betrayed the Old Order rules of not being filmed). This family sees themselves as Amish Christians and I find their family to be absolutely BEAUTIFUL! If you have the time...maybe while folding laundry or preparing supper...I encourage you to watch this! :)

In Christ's Love,
Katy

It's all about Jesus Christ being first....
and second and third and fourth and fifth. 
 What I'm saying is, don't put Jesus first.
 Jesus is everything. 
 He's not just first in the rank,
 He is everything. 
~Paul Washer

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the video Katy. They actually live in Lancaster it looks like. I know a couple of saved Amish people that believe a lot of the same we believe:) What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy~ I don't agree with the Amish religionbut ohhow I love both their work ethic and the importane of family. Loved the pictures in this post especially the bango ones and the dishcloth. I am tryin to change all of my dishcloths to crocheted ones as they get older and worn out. Im also trying to stop buying napkins and use cloth ones. I appreciate your heart in all your posts you are a wonderful friend. Blessings, Joann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so admire the amish way of life, and truly believe that many of them have accepted Christ as their savior in their heart of hearts. Although they continue to follow the rules of their church leaders etc. I feel this is true of all denominations.....if they claim Jesus as their savior, than who am I to judge......if Christ dwells within.......it will be evident in the the life and actions of the person, no matter the denomination. Just my thoughts :) I always enjoy visiting you, your child are really growing up. Blessings friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post. So many meaty things to think on. Those books in the pic look wonderful. I could spend hours lost in those books.Thanks for sharing. Mary

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy