Thursday, May 1, 2014

May First ~ Twenty Fourteen

May your days be many and your troubles be few.
May all God's blessings descend upon you.
May peace be within you. May your heart be strong.
May you find what you are seeking wherever you roam.
~ Irish Blessing

It's May first. As I sit here and type, Xavier is practicing his banjo, Madelyn is upstairs napping and Jaxson is in the living room playing Legos. The goat is out eating grass in the freshly mowed front lawn while the chickens forage for bugs (hopefully they will eat up all the ticks!). Ruthie-the-dog is laying on the floor at my feet and the sun is trying to poke its rays out from behind some clouds (which is quite a joyous site as we have been having a lot of chilly, cloudy, rainy weather lately). 


We are winding up our school year with less than two weeks to go (everyone, including this mama, is ready for a break!). Bikes are being ridden on nicer days as well as some jumping on the trampoline (that our neighbors so graciously let us use). It felt good to go out earlier this afternoon and get the front lawn mowed! The boys had told me earlier that they heard one of our neighbors mowing and when they went outside, they smelled that freshly cut grass and that it was wonderful! That is one of the joys of spring...the smells of fresh-cut grass, flowers and the like (although with the rain and chilly weather we have had...we are also getting the smell of worms around us lately!ha!).





I have had some different internal problems that may be from my gall bladder. I went to see my family doctor today and she sent me for blood work and tomorrow I have an ultrasound. I'm a little nervous to have surgery (although this won't be my first experience with surgery) but mostly I am bummed because if I *do* need the surgery to have my gall bladder removed, I won't be able to spin for 2 to 3 weeks! Oh well, if it is what needs done, then that is what I will do...I can't have any episodes like the past three I have had already. One of them was *really* bad...it occurred this past Sunday in the wee hours. The Lord knows what is best, always, so I know whatever happens is what is necessary. There is such a peace knowing that my life is in His hands. :)



I have been working on knitting like I mentioned in THIS post. Madelyn has been doing so as well. She knit up this dish cloth without a pattern (just out of her own head)...


I think she did such a nice job with it...although I am realizing, just now, that we took a photo of the wrong side. Oh well...you can still get the idea! :) I was impressed that she was just "winging" it!

I have also been *spring* cleaning. Well, just normal cleaning...but it *is* spring so I think I can rightly call it "spring cleaning". I have to admit, using Mrs. Meyer's products to clean makes it a *much* more enjoyable task! Using the geranium or lavender dish soap in hot, sudsy water makes washing dishes much less of a chore!


I love to buy things from them when they are on sale or offer free shipping!

My favorite scents from them are:
Lavender
Geranium
Basil
Rosemary
Lemon Verbena


I recently found this basket for the back of the toilet. I love how it keeps things contained and tidy looking! (The "Outhouse Rules" picture above the toilet was a gift to me from Madelyn!)...


Isn't it funny how simple things (like a basket) can make you smile?


I am using this *fantastic* chicken wire basket to house some bathroom "reading" material ~ quite necessary for some members of this family! ;) I am always switching things up though...so it may find another home at some point...


The children love to pick flowers they find blooming and bring them in...

So that is what we are up to. How about you?
Happy May! 
Thanks for visiting!
In loving kindness,
Katy

6 comments:

  1. Hello Katy! My name is Gretchen. First of all, I just want to tell you how much I thoroughly enjoy your blog. You have such wonderful posts and your background music is soothing to my soul. I wanted to let you know that I had my gall bladder out about 3 years ago. I was very nervous going in for the surgery but my gall bladder had "gone bad" and was making me very sick and after having it out and recovering I felt soooo much better. I will be praying for you and whatever the outcome for you. I, too, am a homeschool mama (to two boys, Joshua, 8 and Jackson, 6) and we live in Western PA (right outside of Pittsburgh) so I can completely relate to your comments on the weather :) Again, just wanted to say hi and thanks for your blog! P.S. I actually have the same basket on the back of my main floor bathroom toilet and it made a huge difference for me too. Ahhh...it really is the little things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gretchen! Thanks so much for stopping by, reading and taking the time to leave me a note!!! :) It's wonderful to *meet* you! I live in Western PA too....although I am north of Pittsburgh. :)
      Thank you for your encouragement about the surgery....I am really hoping there are no stones in there and that it all just goes away on its own! ;) One can hope and pray, right? ;)
      How funny we have the same basket in the same place! :)

      Keep on lovin' those boys of yours and I hope your homeschool year is going well!
      Have a great Friday!

      Delete
  2. Happy May day to you! My daughter had her gall bladder removed and it was such a relief for her to have it removed. It took awhile to regulate her system.
    Sorry for your discomfort.I am going to try those cleaning products! I was just in town today, I should of read this before I went in! Let me know what the Dr. says as I want to be praying for you!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Katy, I too just had my gallbladder removed on March 10 2014. I did not have any gallstones either but woke up last month with severe pain and vomiting. Which I had been having some pains now about a two year spanned but that one last month was different. I was placed on pain meds and sent home. I had a follow up appointment with my dr who did blood work and sent me to get an MRI done. Well the MRI show trouble in my gallbladder which my pain was always late night and after I ate greasy foods or dairy. It always started at the very top of my stomach under my right rib age. So when I went back to the dr to get MRI and lab result my blood work said my liver eneyzemes were up and the MRI show something wrong with my gallbladder. The dr then sent me to get and ultrasound of the gallbladder and it showed that I had sludge inside the gallbladder and thickening of the gallbladder wall. He sent me to a surgeon to look at my gallbladder. Which he wanted to remove it so my husband and I went and got a second opinion from another surgeon and he also agreed, but we still waited and tried a herbal cleanse which still did not work so I got it removed. I feel so much better now it's been post op. Glad I got it done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post made me smile, especially about missing spinning. Bless you, I've had gall bladder surgery. I know that an attack can be very painful. Trust in the Lord, He will get you through this.

    Loved the photos of your children. We used the same math when my children were young.

    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy May to you, Katy, and your family! Your children are growing up so fast. I have been here to your post but have not left a message because I have Fibromyalgia and there are day I just don't feel like typing...my hands and arms hurt as well as other problems that goes with it. But I do enjoy reading about your home, your children, your marriage to your wonderful husband and your faith. Thanks, Katy for posting. I have enjoyed reading what you write.

    God bless you and yours,
    Susannah

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy