Thursday, January 17, 2013

"Winter is the time for comfort...

...for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home." 
~Edith Sitwell

Remember this fella?


That's my Jaxson (remember his eye mishap last February?). We have some super-great, Lord-praising (although He is always worthy of our praise, isn't He?) news! I took him to an eye appointment with our optometrist yesterday and found out that he does *not* need glasses! His vision is just fine! What a truly wonderful answer to our prayers! He will still get checked once a year. Chris and I both wear contacts/glasses so there is a good chance he will need them in the future anyway! I am just glad that he doesn't have to *wear* that burden when young (and saving money is a plus too!).


In other news from our little homestead...we're still keeping busy with our schooling, chores, stacking wood (when daddy splits it) and playing. We had an abundance of snow and then, much to my delight, most of it melted away on an unusual-for-January warm day. I woke up this morning to go to spin class (yep, I'm still going every day) and there was fresh, thick layer of snow covering everything outside.

Getting through these few winter months is most-difficult for me...the cold, wet, rainy, icy weather is my least favorite. The first snow of the season is nice...from then-on, though, I could do without it. We had a pretty mild winter last year, though, and although I was glad for it...the result was that the ticks didn't die off. So this past summer saw lots of ticks on people and animals (I have yet to ever get one on me, thankfully...*shudders to think*). So, I will be *thankful* that these freezing temps will decrease the tick population! May my attitude reflect this quote:

"Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour." 

-  John Boswell


These three loves keep me on my toes each day (oh, how I continually pray for and try to have gentleness and patience). How thankful I am for each one of them...unique and lively they are! The house is always a buzz of activity when they are here...when they go to help their grammie (or another close friend or loved one) with a task, the house is so strangely silent. I do enjoy some alone time from time-to-time but I am always so glad when my children are back home again. The house just doesn't feel right without them in it! :)


"The art of mothering is to teach the art of living to children."
~Elain Heffner

"Children need the freedom and time to play. Play is not a luxury. Play is a necessity."
~Kay Renfield Jamison


We are all looking forward to seeing Eloise and her new, wee sister, Dinah this weekend! Chris and the boys have not gotten the chance to see the new baby yet so they can't wait for that...and Madelyn and I are thrilled to see the girls too! :) I can hardly believe that Eloise is soon to be two years old! I just can't fathom how the time has gone by so quickly. And now, littlest Dinah has joined the family. It's such a joy to watch children (my own as well as my nieces and nephews) grow. I love watching their little personalities blossom! Such a beautiful blessing children are!




I hope you and yours are enjoying your week. So glad you had time to stop by and visit! It's always great hearing from each of you through the comments and email! :) We are keeping quite busy (thus the reason for my lack of posting)...but hopefully I will be able to post again soon!
Until next time, Lord willing...

♥ In loving kindness,
   Katy

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Katy, on your new niece, Dinah! :) I too love the soft glow of the lamps....so cozy! I would take a little of your snow if I could. :)

    Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the snow. We had a nice snowfall, Christmas is gone and now I am ready for Spring!! This past Saturday it was in the 60's... talk about giving me spring fever.

    I am thankful for Jaxsons' news. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So thankful, his vision is perfect! What an amazing blessing! This is a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On our side of the state we have had little snow, mostly rain or fog. Gloomy but this weekend is supposed to be sunny!

    Enjoy the family and the cozy time of year!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The art of mothering is to teach the art of living to children." - I love that quote!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your house looks so cozy!

    Have a great weekend!

    :)Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katy, Your home just seems so cozy! I bet when people enter they forget the cold outside and just enjoy the warmth.
    Your sweet children are blessed to have a mamma that makes their house a HOME.
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes the winter months do seem long dont they. Love the music on your blog and left it open as I do my dishes:) So you are in my house at the moment:):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is all very new to me and this article really opened my eyes.Thanks for sharing wedding accessories cheap, prom dresses store, top wedding dresses with us your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy