Sunday, January 27, 2013

For the Mamas...

 "The souls of our children will last for all eternity, and if we believe Scripture to be true, the way we shepherd them will undoubtedly have repercussions far beyond our lives here on earth....My identity as a mother would be wrapped up inextricably in the very place in which my moral character would be formed. My home, then, became my kingdom over which I longed to rule well as I was crafting lives, my own children, for His glory." 
~Sally Clarkson, Desperate pg.10 

(sausage gravy and homemade biscuits for supper one evening)

"Understanding that the best and most lasting "work" I would ever do was wrapped up in my call as a mother gave me a grand scope for my life such as I had never known before."
~Sally Clarkson, Desperate pg. 11


As you can probably tell from the quotes above, I am reading the book Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe by Sally Clarkson and Sarah Mae. It is a truly enjoyable read...full of reassuring truth and encouragement. 

As much as I long to be a wonderful mother, I always feel as though I am falling short. Reading this book I find that I am not alone in my feelings...I am finding reassurance but also encouragement to keep trying harder (all while resting in Him ~ the more we are focused on Him and not ourselves, the better mothers we will be!) to be the best mother I can be...bringing glory to God in all I do. I desire to love more, nurture more and strive to lead by example with a selfless attitude

"When you learn to hold His hand and walk by faith and obedience, you just might find yourself in the Hall of Faith of those who followed hard after Him and were allowed to tell a story of faith in their lifetimes." 
~Sally Clarkson, Desperate pg. 37

I am constantly learning. It's such a process. Thankfully, I'm not in this alone (and neither are you!)! :)

 Madelyn and Jaxson baking together.


Have you read this book...and if so, what did you think of it? I am not finished yet...but I am already thankful to be reading it! I am thankful that God is using it to grow me (along with His Word)...and oh! How I need to truly grow!

Are there any other books you are reading (that are encouraging you in your role as helpmeet and mother) and enjoying lately? I have numerous books just lining up in my amazon wish list. Most are on theology...as those are my favorite studies...but others are on improving my walk as a Christian woman. :) I would LOVE to hear what you have been reading lately!


Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.


♥ In loving kindness,
   Katy

12 comments:

  1. Hello! I am reading/doing a book study group with some other women with the book- "The Me I Want to Be: Becoming Gods Best Version of You" by John Ortberg. I think it is very helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. F or years I've prayed for the souls of my children & others. I raised them up in church. Since the death of one of my children 6 months ago I have struggled with the question of his soul. I pray that If I did not convince him of the need of salvation someone else was able to. I pray I did not fail him as his mother. I have recently finished reading How My Savior Leads Me by Terri Stellrecht.. She tells the story of the death of her son her walk with God & the burden of lost souls reaching out to them & the ministry that has come out of their tragedy. Terri also has a blogs How My Savior Leads Me & Our Crazy Farm. Her book can be purchased there. Being a mother is a job that is most important. Blessings! Lara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy! I am looking forward to reading Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe. Right now I am reading the story of Janet Lynn Salomon in Metamorphosis of a Mom and the Excellent Wife.

    This was a beautiful post, thank you so much for sharing your heart.

    Blessings, Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been reading "Crazy Love" by fransis Chan! It really is encouraging and helping me understand more about God. I would love to know what is on your amazon list---I want to know more about God!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katy! I have been reading and enjoying your blog from here in the UK for a while now but this is my first comment! I have been reading "A Year of Biblical Womanhood" by Rachel Held Evans which I guess goes against the grain slightly but fits with my previous views to some extent. I am at a period of transition in my life as I go from 'career woman' to stay at home wife and mother with my first baby due in just a few short weeks now (with the intention to stay at home for as long as possible and returning to work only as much as absolutely necessary afterwards. I am praying that God will lead the way in this new season and help me to develop the skills that I am lacking whilst helping me to discover who I truly am in Him and what His plans for me are at this time. I guess I am still a little overwhelmed by the task ahead . . . .!

    Keep sharing! Many blessings.

    Debs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a blessing children are! Praying the best for you and your family as this little one arrives and that you will embrace your role as stay at home wife and mother! It was exactly what God created you for! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your kind words :)

      Delete
  6. Love your blog!! I have shared it with some of the ladies at our church, and they love it also!! They think you are the sweetest thing!!! If you have a moment can you recommend a really good Bible study book or guide? Thank you in advance :)
    Lisa in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind, thank you! :)

      I completely recommend workbook The Truth about Man by Paul Washer. It's a workbook bible study and really great. :)

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a great book, I need to get that one for myself :)

    Right now I'm working through The "Do what you can" Plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't even know Sally Clarkson had a new book out...it sounds wonderful and I can't wait to read it! I am in the middle of "Made to Crave" by Lysa Terkeurst....I'm really enjoying it (well, I don't know if 'enjoying' is the right word because it is convicting ;).

    Thank you for the encouraging quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jobs at your Home, Internet Online Jobs like data entry, copy pasting, Form Filling, Facebook Sharing Jobs, Clicking Jobs, Web Surfing, Google Jobs and Much More Earning Systems Online
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy