Friday, January 11, 2013

What's the Difference?

I just finished reading a short book by John Piper that is just *full* of wisdom and Godly truths. It's called: "What's the Difference? Manhood and Womanhood Defined According to the Bible" (found HERE on amazon). Now this is not a *formal* review...just a sharing of my heart to yours.


I am very set on proper roles for men and women. Saying that, though, opens a whole can of worms, doesn't it? People start protesting with *but this* and *but that*. I am not saying that there are not instances where women have to take over the normal role of the man (such as when a husband is disabled etc.) and I am sure there are other reasons things have to be different than the "ideal"...but those should be the exception, not the norm. 

"Over the years I have come to see from Scripture and from life that manhood and womanhood are the beautiful handiwork of a good and loving God."
 ~John Piper, What's the Difference? pg. 13


"He [God] has shown us in Scripture the beauty of manhood and womanhood in complementary harmony. He has shown us the distortions and even horrors that sin has made of fallen manhood and womanhood. And He has shown us the way of redemption and healing through Christ."
~John Piper, What's the Difference? pg. 20

I have so, so many things underlined in this book that I would love to share with you. Instead of quoting them all...instead I completely recommend this book to each of you. You won't be sorry you have it! Read and re-read it. Soak it in and search out the scriptures Piper uses to reveal how manhood and womanhood is defined in God's Word!

"The greatest freedom is found in being so changed by God's Spirit that you can do what you love to do and know that it conforms to the design of God and leads to life and glory."
~John Piper, What's the Difference? pg. 53

And oh, how I LOVE this quote:

"...when life together is considered the weaknesses of manhood are not weaknesses and the weaknesses of womanhood are not weaknesses. They are the complements that call forth different strengths in each other."
~John Piper, What's the Difference? pg.58 (emphasis, mine)

Isn't that just wonderful? Men and women are *different*...but this is because we are not created to be the same. We are to complement one another. Where Chris is strong, I am weak. Where he is weak, I am strong. He is called to lead his family...I am called to submit. Is that always easy? No...but because he is to love me as Christ loves the church, Chris takes my opinions and knowledge into account before making a final decision. He is not domineering. In all actuality, he has *such* a weight on his shoulders...such a responsibility in leading. He was created to bear this load whereas I was not. I am created to *help* him. He is created to *need* me and I am created to *need* him...just in different ways. I don't see why feminists find this so offensive? I find it beautiful!


At the end of the book, Piper has a list of challenges for men and women. I wrote it out and personalized it for me to read and grow from. This is kept in my Bible to read and put into practice.
If you have read this book...I would love to know what you thought of it! Right now, I am reading Queen of the Home and plan next to read Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe.

I would love to hear what you think about the roles God gave men and women!
Thanks so much for visiting!

♥ In loving kindness,
   Katy

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this book ...I can't wait to order it!! And thank you for renewing my Faith in God!
    Lisa in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this. I am so skeptical to buy devotional books in fear that they will be someone's own spin on the Bible and not bible based reading. I usually stick to Spurgeon, Charles Stanley or Warren Weirsbe. I think I will order this to read though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read this book, a few years back,and I thought it was so good.

    I'll have to get it out and put it in my stack!

    It is a beautiful, the plan God has for men and women to be a complement to each other!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like John Piper. I've somehow never heard of this book, but it definitely looks like something that would be worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katy, I could not believe there was only 4 comments, I thought this is the most talked about subject on the planet LOL.
    Really I will have to check the John Piper book out.
    I have many books on biblical womenhood.
    I am reading Queen of the Home now. I got one for each my married girls for gifts.
    Have you ever been prompted by the Spirit or in the word to where dresses more or just more femine. For that is what I have been seeking as He is teaching me.
    Mine you I am much older but this has been a sweet new leading. And I don't mean just jumpers and long skirts, but an array of clothing that is modest and pretty.
    Lets just say I have been in all the thrift stores the last few months. I would love to hear what you think on this matter!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Roxy! :)

      I wear skirts the majority of the time too! I enjoy it! I feel much more feminine in them! I've been wearing skirts for the past few years and Madelyn does too. Occasionally we wear pants (to stack wood, exercise etc.) but typically we are a skirt-wearing mom and daughter! :)

      Delete
  6. I totally support what you shared on your post!

    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with your post. Sometimes people just don't understand.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy