Thursday, January 5, 2012

Making a Chore Chart


My children do their chores when asked. They all go out to feed the animals together, for instance...however one person would end up doing more than another would...making things seemingly *unfair* to each of them. We have tried chore cards, and dry-erase chore charts in the past. The problem with the chore cards (other than the fact that they get beat-up quickly) is that there isn't that feeling...you know, the one you get when you are checking things off on a list? It's a wonderful feeling when you can mark something *finished*. The dry-erase boards would end up with half of them wiped off and things not being marked correctly and just a lot of confusion.

So...I came up with a new system (that I truly hope will work well for us). The children have different chores on different days. When they complete each chore, they can hang their token on that specific hook. That way, they will have a feeling of accomplishment and I will know *what* it is they have accomplished (and what over-seeing/checking may need done).


 It's truly, through the week, going to be a team effort. For example, I wash the dishes and the children will take turns through the week, putting them away. I will sweep/dust mop/scrub all the wood floors and kitchen floor while they take turns vacuuming carpets. I will do the laundry...and daily, they will need to make sure any folded clothes of theirs is put away neatly. Sunday is a day of rest where they have no chores (other than to make their bed). Between Chris and I, we'll get the animals fed and I will do everything else that needs done.


If you decide to try something like this...you could get *much* more creative than I did. This took me a while to get together and I admit, I didn't get too picky with it. Maybe (if this method works well) over time, I will come up with some different/better ideas to improve it.




Do you have a chore system that you use and really like?

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

9 comments:

  1. Awesome idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katy for sharing this. I am in the process of trying to do a chore chart and this is a good idea.

    Hope you have a wonderful rest of the week and weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful idea Katy. You are terrific parents and these lessons will stand by your children right through life. Whilst I had loving parents I was never taught to do much at all and as a result did not know how to cook or take care of my home when I was first married. I was to shy to have guests over for meals because I really did not know what to cook. I am now middle aged and have had to learn through trial and error. I never had children but if I had, I would have done just as you are doing. It will be so much easier for them later when they move out of home.
    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I especially like the the respectful & immediate obedience. Something we are working on. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! My daughter is now 13 and when she was younger, we used star stickers on the calendar for each day when she completed a chore and after she accumulated a certain number of stars she would earn some cash to spend as she wanted. A few of my daughers friends (ages 13 & 14) have no responsiblties (chores) at home, which I find amazing.

    Take care and good luck!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas Katy! I am struggling with setting up a chore system (one that I can easily glance at to see who's turn it is to do what), and while I had great plans to get it started for 2012, we found out another little one is on the way, so I've been spending more time with my ginger-ale, and less time working out the details.
    I too love the respectful, immediate obedience, that is definitely going on the chart here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother had a chore chart for me and my siblings when I grew up. We put star stickers on each item we completed. I do believe the lesson has stuck with me, because to this day I have a daily rountine I do and even as an adult all of my "chores" are done as second nature. Hope it works out for you! :)

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous. (: Great job Katy! I bet the children will enjoy this system. I wish I would have thought to use something like this.

    Have a nice weekend!

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is Sooooo Great! I ♥ it and I'm making us one! Thanks thanks for sharing ♥

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy