Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Warm Thoughts on a Blustery Cold Day


Today was grocery day...a busier day for the children and I. Menu-making, grocery list making, meat market list making, doing the actual shopping (plus stopping along the way to pick up chicken feed), schooling, housework and wood-stove tending has kept me busy! During times of rest, I spent time on knitting and crochet projects, as I like to switch back and forth between them. One of my crochet projects has been to make some new dish cloths for our home. One reason I prefer to crochet dish cloths than knit them is because it is so (so, so) much quicker! I like making them with simple double crochets (sometimes I use a double half crochet stitch instead). The *new* cloths are washed and ready for use... ready and waiting along some of my knitted dish cloths!


Currently, (although I don't have a photo of it) I am crocheting a pot holder. My sister-in-love has a few of them that her grandmother made her. They are thick and beautiful. I looked for a pattern and found one HERE. I'm hoping it turns out well! It seems easy enough!

Supper (a stomach-filling, family favorite: hamburger stroganoff over homemade noodles and green beans...and as a treat ~ rootbeer floats!) is over and the evening is winding down now. The hum of the warm air being pushed in by the wood stove is my background noise. I've done most of the supper dishes, but there are still some waiting to be scrubbed in the warm soapy water...they'll just have to keep waiting, as I am in no big rush to finish them! ;)


The whole life of a Christian should be nothing but praises and thanks to God; we should neither eat nor sleep, but eat to God and sleep to God and work to God and talk to God, do all to His glory and praise.
~Richard Sibbes


As I continue in my daily reading of the Bible and growing, growing, growing in wisdom and knowledge (oh, I still have soo far to go though) my mind is a whirl of activity...constantly praying...words of praise and thanksgiving to the Most High, inter-mixed with realizations of when I have sinned...expressing my sorrow and repentence to Him. He is so worthy....so *very* worthy of all our praise. I desire to know Him more (and more and more). I desire to share Him with others...do you? If so...HERE is the right way to do it! Sinners need to be aware of why they need a Savior.

Christ will be master of the heart, and sin must be mortified. If your life is unholy, then your heart is unchanged, and you are an unsaved person. The Savior will sanctify His people, renew them, give them a hatred of sin, and a love of holiness. The grace that does not make a man better than others is a worthless counterfeit. Christ saves His people, not IN their sins, but FROM their sins. Without holiness, no man shall see the Lord.
~Charles Spurgeon

Sometimes it seems that the American church’s highest value is what Francis Schaeffer called “personal peace and affluence.” We want to be accepted. We don’t want to be controversial. Above all, we don’t want to suffer. It is time for Christ-followers to stand up and say, “We must do what is right, regardless of the consequences.” “But Peter and the apostles answered, ‘We must obey God rather than men’” (Acts. 5:29). 
~Randy Alcorn

As I sit here and type, I am wrapped, snug and cozy-warm in an afghan...listening to a sermon. The children are watching a movie...winding down before bed-time. Chris is at bible study with good friends of ours. After wrapping up this post...I'll spend the rest of my evening in my Bible and working on my yarn-projects. My eyes are terribly tired though...so I see me heading to bed in the near future! To be honest...I am truly fighting my eyes to stay open and stay focused! I am one exhausted mama!

Here are a few photos from around my home lately...nothing overly exciting...but a window into my life, none-the-less! :)

Madelyn helping Jaxson with his schoolwork...


Supper, cooking away one evening...


A couple corners in my simple kitchen...



May your days be joy-filled...even in the difficult trials that come upon you. Joy is not dependent upon circumstances...but rather on a heart in love with the Creator. :)
Thank-you for coming by!

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

7 comments:

  1. How beautiful, Katy.

    I like your quote by Randy Alcorn. My husband commented that with the apostles their enemies took note that "they had been with Jesus." He says that the problem with the church today is that we haven't really been with Jesus!

    Have a blessed day!
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katy,
    I love stopping by and reading your blog! I find it refreshing and spiritually uplifting :-)
    Blessings!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your dishcloths! I need to learn to crochet. I love my knitted dishcloths but you are SO right, they take forever!

    Get some rest, busy mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you say about joy! :) Very true.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my goodness.
    what a lovely post.
    a sweet glimpse into your simple life. arent we are growing, growing, growing.
    and changing, changing changing.
    if we werent we truly wouldn't know HIM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The meal sounds so delicious and your words comforting

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy