Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"Winter is...



...the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home."
 ~Edith Sitwell


Although overdue, we finally got snow! Now we have an abundance of it...and although I am not a huge fan, it really was beautiful to watch it...great, big, beautiful, fluffy snowflakes gently falling to the ground. I believe that the snow you see in these photos may be short-lived, though, as the temperature is suppose to rise to the 40's here in a few days.


After schooling yesterday, the children suited up in snowsuits, coats, gloves, hats and boots. They have been waiting for a good snow to play in, and this one was perfect! Out they went...making tracks all over! Jaxson didn't last long out there though...he came in, just too cold to bear. So after snuggling him in some afghans, he took a nice afternoon nap. Madelyn and X played and played...I wish I had a photo, for when they came in, their cheeks and noses were red from the bitter wintry air!


The outdoor wood stove works steadily, day and night, keeping us warm. I was up at 5 this morning and noticed it was a bit chilly in the house (when the temps outside are extremely cold, the wood stove has to work even harder to keep our house warm). I put on my coat and gloves (plus Chris's hat and boots) and galumphed my way through the snow to the stove. It was almost out....after stoking it, blowing on it and adding more wood, I think I got it going well again. I may have to go out and check it, again, soon.

Some kindling and gloves, drying out over the heater vent...


Xavier, reading...


Although I am a candle-lover all year through...I am especially a fan of them when the days become night sooner and when the temps outside are cold! Most winter days, you will find candles and/or oil lamps lit throughout my home!


Around the house...




I am working at crocheting myself all new dish cloths for the kitchen. The others I had knitted in years past, are ready to transition to the *rag* pile...


Although my family isn't as *large* as I would like, I still absolutely love this book...


It is chock full of great ideas...for any sized family! I haven't had the chance to go through the whole book yet, but I fully intend to! From different parts I have read, though, it will be a valuable tool in this home! :) Another book that I highly recommend (that I just finished reading) is Chosen by God by RC Sproul. Fantastic, truly...I hope you will consider reading it!

I have a busy day ahead...a few errands to run, schooling to do and housework that needs done! Plus, I need to get back outside to check the wood stove! Thanks, so much, for coming by to visit! I hope you have an absolutely **beautiful** day ahead!!

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

9 comments:

  1. Good morning, Katy. I enjoyed my "visit" to your home, i hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snow is beautiful! We don't get it very often around here(maybe once or twice every other year) but when we do, everything else stops and we just enjoy watching it come down. So clean, and peaceful ;- )

    Have a great day in THE LORD!

    Amanda
    Matthew 6:33

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy,

    I LOVE your chicken/eggs for sale picture! Also, never thought to hang an old muffin tin on the wall; very country looking.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Ksty,
    It is always interesting to see what is going on on the other side of the world! It is hard to imagine all that snow here, it was very hot here during the week, we've had the Airconditioner running flat out and it is really too hot to do much outside after 11am. I love your candles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like you got more snow than us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in the process of reading Large Family Logistics. It is such a wonderful resource! My family of four is still pretty little, but we hope it continues to grow into a big family, so I need all the ideas I can gather. :) Have a beautiful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Evening! Your pics are very inviting! My goodness, lots of snow! Snow is "foreign" to most of us here in the Southeastern U.S., I find it beautiful, though!
    My apologies, I've been out of the "blog loop" for a long time and am trying to catch up! hope you stop by my blog...I'm back in the personal blogging swing (finally!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to visit your lovely sight...just found you.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy