Thursday, January 26, 2012

Love is the thing...


...that enables a woman to sing while she mops up the floor after her husband has walked across it in his barn boots. 
~Hoosier Farmer

There is nothing like the feeling of a well-tidied *home*. Notice, I say *home* and not *house*. I do so for a reason, for a home is not one where you can't feel comfortable...where tension fills the air when things always have to be too perfect. A well-tidied house is cold and lonely feeling. A well-tidied home is full of warmth, hospitality, is eye-pleasing and comforting.

What’s more important to a sense of "home" is not perfectly arranged designer pillows, but the comforting arms of a mother or wife who is available and content when her family needs it. 

It is my goal, daily, to have a *home* where Chris likes to come back to after a long day at work. He deserves for it to be tidy and nice-smelling...a place where if he *does* bring some mud in with his shoes, he doesn't feel that he will be fussed at. It's simple to clean up and something I can tend to as he rests. Most nights, though, my Christopher doesn't get much rest time...between tending the wood-stove and other things that need his attention (here and helping others)...I want him to *know* that home is his sanctuary...a peaceful, restful place away from it all. 

A peek in the bathroom...


And the kitchen...


The blue little caddy was a thrift store find! I love it with that chicken wire. I need to sand it and repaint it (I'm thinking black...with roughed edges for a rustic look)...



This morning we had some freezing rain outside. Chris was out at the wood stove and I went out to see if he needed a hand. I noticed the outside steps were quite slippy (especially for me, as my legs are still terribly sore from my workout yesterday morning). The boys were in charge of the goats and chickens today so I told them to be very careful on their way down the outside steps and on the driveway...as it was icy. Those smart guys of mine thought it best to secure their go-kart helmets to their heads...just in case they fell. It may seem silly...but I must admit, it gave me a sense of comfort! I just love these fellas...


Working on a bit of school on a cold, wet, glad-to-be-inside type of day...



Chris will be home from work soon. Although *you* didn't know it, I stopped mid-post to go mix up rolls to rise and also to tend the wood stove. I will get supper started and look forward to my sweet-heart coming home. Warm wishes for an enjoyable evening and also, for the weekend ahead. :)

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

11 comments:

  1. your right...

    this is what a "home" is.

    and I'm certain your man thinks about getting home to this each day:-)!

    so beautifully and gracefully written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a Grandmother and I just love your blog. It is so wholesome and down to earth.

    Pamela
    Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are exactly right Katy! That is what home is, or should be! Your sons were very smart with their helmets too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! I know someone that has a beautiful, magazine type home and I am always afraid I will mess something up. I strive for my place to be a home. An inviting place for my family and a place where anyone feels comfortable. I love it when someone pops by grabs a chair at the kitchen table and and we just chat away.

    The boys and their helmets made me smile:) Stop by for a visit. I am giving away a copy of Courageous.

    Enjoy your evening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do seem very much content. I can learn from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the warmth from woodstoves but they do require quite a bit of tending too.LOL. The boys look cute in their helmets. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Chris sounds like my Tim...always working on something here or helping others when he is not at work.

    Your home is warm and cozy and welcoming and I am sure he feels loved and cared for by your thoughtfulness!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. wwhat a sweet soul you are....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your home is lovely. Thanks for sharing pictures of it. I think you have described my idea of home very well. I so agree with all you said. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree too...my husband tells me he loves walking into our *home* with fresh baked bread cooling on the oven.
    I love the winter days of staying inside the toasty home and enjoy being together with the kids, while they finish up their school. These are the moments to remember when we grow old...

    ReplyDelete
  11. your post is a beautiful love story! good for you and your whole family.
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy