Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Second Week of Advent

We lit the second candle, of the advent season, this week. It's snowing here, in abundance! Today I have bread to bake, schooling to do with the littles, and housework. I have a few, fun photos to share before I go...

A few things I crocheted for Madelyn's dollhouse...for Christmas. An itty, bitty bowl, a basket with a handle and then a small rug! Since I am mainly a *knitter*...these items that I crocheted aren't too fantastic...but I know Madelyn will enjoy them in her dollhouse! :)

Homemade pizza for supper...

How sweet Ruthie rests. Doesn't it appear to be so uncomfortable?

Hot chocolate, with lots of marshmallows (that I buy in bulk), to warm us on these cold, blustery, winter days!

Good reading...

I am almost finished with Beautiful in God's Eyes by Elizabeth George. It has such a beautiful focus on the Proverbs 31 woman and how we can be beautiful in God's eyes! :) I am enjoying it thoroughly and trying to apply the ideas tucked in it's pages. There are some things mentioned in it that I was cheerful about because I felt I fulfilled those qualities...and then there were others that I realized I really needed to work on. How imperfect I am! If you haven't read it...I completely recommend it!

**And...I am quite thrilled because my recent issue of the Above Rubies magazine has arrived! How I love this beautiful read...a true treasure for wives and mothers. If you have received your issue...have you read the section by Colin Campbell? Oh my...how I agree with him!!

Being a stay-at-home wife and mother is one of the most difficult and most wonderful jobs in the world. Doing *just* what God created me to do. ♥ Watching my children grow day-by-day is something I truly treasure. Mothers, if you *can*...be home with your little ones...for these young years are such a vital time of encouraging and training them up. :) Children don't need more stuff...they need more of *you*!


It *is* possible to get along on one income. It takes some simplifying and shedding of *stuff*. Of course, there are unavoidable circumstances for some people (and that is a situation that God will guide you in!). But if you are working just so you can buy more *stuff*...truly, your children's greatest need is for **you**. I have such a heart for mothers to be at home...raising their young ones. HERE is a link to some important links and places that share the gift of being at home!

"I often wonder why people have children if they don't have the time, energy, or desire to raise them."
~Rebekah Teal,


Your children are only this age once...you can't go back. Enjoy each and every moment. They last only but a second. God made *you* to shepherd their hearts...not a daycare center, not other people...but you, their mother! :) You are qualified and able. Not through any strength of your own...but through His strength. I want to encourage you! If you need prayer or encouragement at all...please feel free to email me or leave a comment. :)

**I just wanted to mention, quickly, that my mom and I painted Madelyn's bedroom. I don't want everyone to think I did it all on my own! ;) But thank you, all, for each of your lovely comments. Each one is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for visiting. I have thought about addressing the issue of simplifying our lives in a post (or more than one). Many women may have a sincere desire to stay home with their children, but not know how to start simplifying. We'll have to see. I don't know it all...I am just a simple woman...striving to live how I am suppose to. I can share what I know and do, though. I will have to see if that is something people seem interested in!

Have a wonderful week.
Warmly,
Katy :)

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. ~Ephesians 3:16-20

12 comments:

  1. Katy,

    That book has been on my reading list for quite a while! I love reading her books! Also, the little items you knitted for Madelyn's dollhouse are precious! How very fun! Learning to knit is on my to-do list for 2011...thanks for suggesting that site! Hope everyone is feeling better at your home!

    Blessings,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be very interested in how to simplify our lives. I feel a real calling to stay home with my daughters but we would love 50% of our income and our health insurance. I just keep praying that God will guide me through this and show me the way. Thank you so much for your beautiful blog. It gives me hope.
    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. God grants wisdom in all things, even in finding ways to live simply. We always ask, "Do we really need it?"

    I also love "Above Rubies." It is so encouraging with every page I turn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy,

    Your blog is very imspiring; I enjoy reading it all the time. My golden retriever like to sleep the same way as Ruthie. He can fall asleep with his head on the door, wall, window - I don't know how he doesn't get a stiff neck; I know I would.

    ~Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read "Above Rubies" as well!

    I also have the Elizabeth George book but haven't read it yet. I will need to do that soon.

    We have been simplifying over the last few years, and we don't regret it at all.

    I have been fortunate to be home with my children, serving my family for all of our married years - almost 23 now! I am thankful for how the Lord has met every need!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok I couldn't read the whole post my eyes say that hot chocolate, and now I'm craving some, off to make the girls and I some!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dollhouse things are so cute. I also recieved my Above Rubies magazine too. It is my favorite. I only get two others taste of home and country sampler. both are gifts from past Christmases. I enjoy raising my children. We haven't always had everything , but that doesn't matter to me. We live a very simple life. I used to work before I had my first baby. When I quit to stay home my husbands boss thought it was such a wonderful idea he agreed to give Craig a raise to make up for what i was making at the time. God has never let us down. He has always provided. I have many stories about that. Well soory this is so long. I really enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to hear how you are/have simplified your life. It is something that I seem to constantly be striving to do.

    I couldn't agree more about mothers mothering their children. I do have some children that I care for in my home. I love them dearly, but I am not their mother. The thing that really makes me sad in all of this is that the 15 mo old boy that I watch became a big brother the end of September. While mom has been on maternity leave he continued to come to my home so that he "would stay in his routine." The only days he has stayed home with his mother and baby brother is when I said I needed to do something and he needed to stay home. (3 days out of her 12 week leave) It makes me so sad. I understand that she may need to work, but she let this great opporunity to be at home with both of her children pass her by.

    Sorry for the rant. This situation has been heavy on my heart for a while.

    The goodies that you made for M are adorable. Have a great day and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful post. I love the items you made for her dollhouse and I'm sure she will too! The pizza made me hungry, lol.
    Looks yummy. I always enjoy reading of your encoursgement about being a stay at home Mom. It is so comforting visiting your site and seeing what a wonderful Mother you are. :-) I also subscribe to Above rubies great magazine.


    blessings to you,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post of stay at home mother.

    Blessings Eveline!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the post, as usual!! My husband and I feel the same way. We make it on one income and sometimes I wonder how! But the Lord always leads and guides and provides. It takes a tremendous amount of faith and courage but is worth it!! You are very encouraging!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. cute little things for the doll house..
    take care,

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy