Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Preparations

In the same manner in which we clean and prepare our homes in the anticipation of welcomed guests and family members this Christmas season, let us also prepare our hearts in anticipation of the Lord's coming. Christ, our most honoured and eagerly anticipated guest, desires to meet with us in a heart prepared for his arrival. So eager is he to meet with us that he offers to help us with our spiritual housecleaning, working with us; creating a resting place for Himself within our hearts.
~Katherine Walden (emphasis, mine)



Housekeeping, homeschooling, laundry, baking, fellowship and the like, are keeping me busy these last few days before Christmas.


Fresh from the oven homemade bagels, a gift for friends...

I've been wrapping gifts for loved ones, lately, too. Simple wrapping...but gifts from the heart! :)



The children were asked to go with my mother, this past Sunday, to her church. After their services, they were building and decorating gingerbread houses! (I have tried this before, myself, with the children and had no success. It was quite frustrating to me when the walls kept falling down...so I was glad they had *this* opportunity!)

The picture above is of Xavier's house and below is Madelyn's house. Jaxson gave *his* house to his great grandmother, who is suffering from Alzheimer's, to enjoy looking at...so we don't have a picture of his. He was sad that he didn't have a picture to show...but I think that sharing it with grandma was a beautiful thing for him to do! :)

Of course, Christmas preparations include the house-cleaning, baking, gift wrapping, gingerbread-house-making etc. But the most important preparations to be made are the ones in your *own* heart. I love the quote I began this post with. Our hearts need to be centered on the right things this season... a thankfulness for the beautiful Gift God gave us, in His Son and a focus on loving others.

Thanks be to God for his unspeakable Gift— indescribable, inestimable, incomparable inexpressible - precious beyond words.
~Lois Lebar

As we prepare for our traditional celebrations, let us remember those who will not be looking forward to this festival. Let us remember too how Jesus identified with the oppressed and the homeless. Let the joy of the festival touch more of the people of our world this year than ever before. May God be glorified and may people of good will once again experience His peace.
~Denzil John

I hope you enjoy the week ahead in glorious anticipation of our true Reason for celebration!
Thank you for stopping by.
Warmly,
Katy

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. ~Ephesians 3:16-20

13 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Katy....to you and your beautiful family!
    I love how you did your packages!! Simple is the way to go!!
    Enjoy your Holiday season!!
    Take care
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you Katy and your family. I am wishing you a blessed christmas this year. Thank you for the beautiful post.
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ver beautiful gingerbread house. Mine always loves licking their fingers as much as decorating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas to you and your family. I really enjoyed this post and I do love the simple gift-wrapping that you have created.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy,
    Wonderful post!! So true!! I made the bagles last night with the kids...thanks sooo much for this..we all loved them!! I give cookies as gifts every year, this year I will be adding the bagles too!!
    Blessings,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas Katy!

    Yes, we need to prepare our homes and our hearts for such a joyous occasion! :)

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The gingerbread houses look like your outside.. all white with snow!

    Thanks for sharing such thoughtful quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful thing for your young son to think of his great grandmother!

    I pray your family will have a delightful Christmas - simple, with simple joy!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post...thank you for sharing. I enjoy reading along very much. :)
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas to you and your family, Katy! I am so blessed to have found your blog this year. Your posts are always such an inspiration to me. :)

    I love your Christmas gift wrapping! I might just have to try that myself! I always hate spending money on fancy gift wrapping paper when it only gets torn up.
    Those yummy bagels are on my "to try" list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blessings and Merry Christmas
    Katy to you and your very special
    family...
    Your Gift wrapping is wonderful
    so simple, I also have used
    brown paper sacks too.. So fun
    too be creative and simple...
    Enjoy the week ... :-)
    Hugs
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the wrapping and the post. I got some brown paper that you wrap boxes to ship and I'm using that for wrapping, red twine, and felt snowflakes to write the to and from. Simple, but so 'me'. :) God Bless you all this season! Sooo sweet about your son giving the house to his grandma!!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy