Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Days of Cold

We had more snow, but a day of rain melted a lot of it...then came the wind chill. We have temps in the teens with windchills in the negatives! It's quite cold here in PA...I am so thankful for our woodstove. Although going out to load it is *not* my favorite chore! ;) Especially today, considering I stepped off our back steps and slipped and fell, twisting my left leg, knee and ankle. I sure must have been a sight as I limped/hopped over to the woodstove, determined to accomplish my task! I know most of my friends reading right now are probably fretting over all this...but be assured, I am doing *A-Ok*...I'm still a little sore and it kind of wrenched my spine a bit, which in turn gave me a slight headache...but nothing to worry about! :)

This is a picture of the children, yesterday, doing schoolwork at the table (with the wind, the schoolroom is much too chilly!)...

And Xavier, today, working away on his science...

I was so excited to see the sweet gift that came in the mail for me! Look at these beautiful snowflakes that my friend, Marie, crocheted and sent me! Aren't they just wonderful? I am a true lover of homemade things! I always feel so blessed to receive such a loving treasure made from the hands of a friend!

Making rolls...

Newest books I intend on reading...

Jax and Mad...

After talking to Chris on the phone at one point during the day...he told me that he would bring our tree and get it set up after work! The children and I were thrilled! Finally! A tree! This is the first time we have ever waited this long to put one up!

The children and I got busy making a paper chain...each color depicting it's meaning...


The dining room had to be rearranged a bit so we would have a spot for the tree!


The smell of pine now fills the air in our home! It definitely *smells* like Christmas now! We still have ornaments and things to put on the tree...but here it is so far...

I am looking forward to a wonderful celebration of Christ's birth! I will be praying for those who are struggling this Christmas season...with depression, addictions, job-loss, loss of a loved one and other reasons for hurting hearts. May they see the *hope* that Christ brought through His birth, ministry, and sacrificial death.
We will be welcoming people into our home Christmas morning who don't have family around to celebrate the season with this year. I am thrilled to have more people over and am really looking forward to it! My hope is to make them feel warm and loved.

A joy that is shared is a joy made double.
~John Roy

Do all the good you can,
By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can,
In all the places you can,
At all the times you can!
~John Wesley

I hope you will stop by again, soon! I always enjoy reading your comments and emails. Stay warm on these bitter cold days of December. :)
Warmly,
Katy :)

I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. ~Ephesians 3:16-20

16 comments:

  1. Katy, it sure is cold here also and we got hit with a big storm Sunday onto Monday and people were stranded in there cars and states of Emergency were declared in counties here. It was a biggie and the wind was something else. at times we couldn't even see the house across the street.

    Temps are below zero here as well so the children and I have been drinking hot chocolate as we do school work. Tonight I have candles lit and we are watching Charlie Brown. The children have sleeper jammies on to keep warm.

    Sorry to hear about your fall and hope by morning you feel 100%. My furnace just keeps running and running with the cold but at least we are warm. I surely won't want the heating bill next month.

    Love those snowflakes you were gifted with they are so pretty. How lucky for you to receive something so pretty.

    Stay warm my dear friend and enjoy your tree. We can't have a real one due to allergies and asthma. But that is ok.

    Hugs,

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you recover quickly from the fall! those snowflakes are lovely and so is your tree! My son is coming home on leave from the Army on sat. and will be getting married the day after Christmas so it will be BUSY for us! Stay warm and enjoy the season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no I hope you're not too bruised up!
    How does the outdoor wood furnace heat your house? I've never seen such a thing!

    Your dining room glows with warmth! the tree is just right in there....

    I bet your kiddos enjoyed making the chain...we made more paper snow flakes today! no real snow here yet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Katy, it is very cold in PA. I live in Northern PA and the wind chill factor and the snow makes for a very brisks conditions :)

    Oh but does your outside wood stove looks like it is doing its job perfectly.

    The snowflakes are so pretty. I am doing some for my mother...she lives in Florida and I think she needs to share the cold with me :)

    Stay warm dear friend...

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh girl...you remind me so much of myself. I really enjoy reading your blog. You are truly a "simple woman" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you don't have too much soreness from your fall...

    Here in Lancaster County it is windy and frigid but we haven't had any real snow yet...so cold when I go out to feed the horses and chickens!

    Your tree is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katy, I always enjoy visiting your home through your blog. It is always encouraging, thought provoking, and brings me smiles. You have a lovely home, and precious children. I hope you will be fine after your fall. I pray the Lord will bless and keep you always in His loving hands.
    Merry Christmas, and have a blessed New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those snowflakes are beautiful. Such a thoughtful gift!

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yikes! sorry you fell!! cory walks me EVERYWHERE when we are outside... LOL... i feel like an old grandma with him holding my hand and arm and taking small steps. haha! but it's worth it! if i fall, i have to go to the ER and i don't need to go there again!!

    the tree looks great! glad you got it set up! i bet the kids are excited!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh so very cold here to. Nothing beats wood heat. I sure hope to have wood heat here at the homestead someday. Right there with you on the fall. I fell on the ice twisted & cut my ankle going out to fed the animals. Two more days & hubby will be back doing this chore. Prayers lifted for our fast recovery. A beautiful tree you have. Your home remind me of the Waltons. I like your dinning room arranged like that. The littles look very into their school work. Such a great way of teaching at home. Your snowflakes are beautiful. I have finished up reading the Tasha Tudor book. What a lady she was. Wonderful you will be opening your home to others for Christmas. Stop by for a visit soon. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Katy, I am your very "infrequent" commenter...and AF wife who is from PA too. We now live in CO (new assignment), and I am surprised at the weather you all have been getting. My daughter is now in college in PA and she is so distraught over the snow....but it will pass. And you are blessed with that awesome wood stove!! Hope you feel better soon. Falls are very hard on the body as we get older;) I love your tree:) It is just perfect! I know you all are enjoying it immensly on these winter days:) I love reading your blog..you are so full of inspiration and guidance. Have a Merry Christmas:) Hugs, Erica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katy, Your tree is beautiful. I would love that fresh Christmas tree smell. It is so sweet of you to have people into your home that don't have family. I wish we lived near by and we would have had someone to spend Thanksgiving with. Christmas, if our OK family can come through the snow, we will not be alone. Our son is flying in from CA and we will all be together for the first time in almost three years,
    I wish you and your beautiful family a wonderful Christmas season. I be careful!--no more falling!
    Love always,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah.....the simple things in life.....they sure are going on in your house. Someone mention "the Waltons"....that is just what I was thinking.

    Temperatures her in NY state last night were around 11 degrees. Just thinking about it made me feel cold...but our house was cozy and warm.

    I love the crocheted ornaments. I have some that my MIL made years ago. They are keepsakes now.

    May you and yours have a lovely, warm day.

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Katy, i hope youre ok, thats scarry..
    love the pics of the house and children,so adorable..
    love, love the snowflake, they are so pretty...
    have a lovely wednesday, stay warm..
    God Bless,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Katy,

    Hope you are doing o.k. after your fall! Praying for you. your home looks so lovely and your tree is just beautiful! Those rolls look so delicious :-) Well I just liked everything about this post! :-)
    Have a wonderful evening!
    Blessings,Jill

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Katy,

    So sorry you hurt yourself whilst gathering wood and hope you feel better. Your blog and homeschool have an old fashioned flavor. We enjoyed seeing your children making paper chains. I fondly remember making them myself. They look so nice on your Christmas tree!

    Your rolls look like they taste so good and look so nicely displayed with your yellowware bowl in your kitchen!

    On our blog Corgyncombe Courant, my daughter and I are having a Giveaway featuring a Yellowware Bowl. We hope you stop by for a visit to our blog.

    Here is the link:
    http://corgyncombecourant.blogspot.com/2010/12/corgyncombe-courant-giveaway.html

    Christmas Blessings to you and your family!
    Diane and daughter Sarah

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy