Thursday, December 29, 2011

~ The Wife at Home ~



“A true home is one of the most sacred of places. It is a sanctuary into which men flee from the world’s perils and alarms. It is a resting-place to which at close of day the weary retire to gather new strength for the battle and toils of tomorrow. It is the place where love learns its lessons, where life is schooled into discipline and strength, where character is molded.

Few things we can do in this world are so well worth doing as the making of a beautiful and happy home. He who does this builds a sanctuary for God and opens a fountain of blessing for men.

Far more than we know, do the strength and beauty of our lives depend upon the home in which we dwell. He who goes forth in the morning from a happy, loving, prayerful home, into the world’s strife, temptation, struggle, and duty, is strong--inspired for noble and victorious living. The children who are brought up in a true home go out trained and equipped for life’s battles and tasks, carrying in their hearts a secret of strength which will make them brave and loyal to God, and will keep them pure in the world’s severest temptations.”


― J.R. Miller (emphasis mine)





Bread basket...



Madelyn and my nephew...


X, washing windows...


Jaxson...showing me his *invention*...




“Home is the true wife’s kingdom. There, first of all places, she must be strong and beautiful. She may touch life outside in many ways, if she can do it without slighting the duties that are hers within her own doors. But if any calls for her service must be declined, they should not be the duties of her home. These are hers, and no other one’s. Very largely does the wife hold in her hands, as a sacred trust, the happiness and the highest good of the hearts that nestle there. The best husband—the truest, the noblest, the gentlest, the richest-hearted—cannot make his home happy if his wife be not, in every reasonable sense, a helpmate to him.

In the last analysis, home happiness depends on the wife. Her spirit gives the home its atmosphere. Her hands fashion its beauty. Her heart makes its love. And the end is so worthy, so noble, so divine, that no woman who has been called to be a wife, and has listened to the call, should consider any price too great to pay, to be the light, the joy, the blessing, the inspiration of a home.

Men with fine gifts think it worth while to live to paint a few great pictures which shall be looked at and admired for generations; or to write a few songs which shall sing themselves into the ears and hearts of men. But the woman who makes a sweet, beautiful home, filling it with love and prayer and purity, is doing something better than anything else her hands could find to do beneath the skies.

― J.R. Miller (emphasis mine)

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post because it's my goal to make our home a place of happiness and where the love of God is present. For so many years we dealt with outside stress and that of two teenage children that rebelled and caused a lot of problems, and my health really suffered.
    So now we have a quiet home that I can finally enjoy and my two youngest children and husband who are such a blessing to me.
    I like that a home is a sanctuary, and that's exactly what mine has become at last.
    Thanks for such wonderful words of wisdom to start my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful words and thoughts from J.R. Miller. I know you love his writings as do I. The ring with the glory of this high calling we are called to.

    I love making our home a place of refuge....

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy,

    I just had to comment on your post. My all time favorite job was being a wife. I loved everything about it. Once my husband died so did that job. I miss being wife and part of a couple. My husband and I were together almost 23 years. I can not put into words how proud I was to be his wife.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. These words are beautiful and I will copy them and put them on my wall. This is who I strive to be. I fall short often but My Lord is always there to pick me up and dust me off, so I can begin again all over each new morning. I am so blessed and I pray you and the lovely folk who visit your blog are blessed as well.
    God is Good.
    Blessings Gail
    p.s. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a peaceful, restful and inspiring post! Thank you. As my children flit about me and are loud and noisy, sometimes I long for peace and quiet. So much of tht is my responsiblity. Am I Peaceful and quiet? Am I willing to be still and quiet my soul?

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy