Tuesday, December 6, 2011

It's Deer Season...


...And we are all busy each evening of this season, at the meat market, processing the deer meat that hunters bring in. The men-folk (and the children when they are allowed) work at skinning and cutting the meat into steaks. My mother-in-love and I (and this year, my mom is helping us too!) work at wrapping the steaks and roasts, making and packaging the hamburger and get it all bagged up and in the freezer.

Below is my Christopher and his uncle working one evening. There can be anywhere from 2 to 6 men, or so, busily back there cutting. It's great when a group of them are there, as we process the meat quicker, but more importantly because the men talk and laugh together...and to hear them joyfully laughing in unison is an absolutely beautiful sound.


The children love going down each evening. Some nights, their cousins are down there too...they all have fun playing together. Other nights, my children are the only ones there, so they help wherever they are needed and then play as they can. The walls of the freezers and coolers in the meat market are magnetic. The children were playing word games using letter magnets the other night. I took a quick break from wrapping meat to run and grab my camera...who says homeschooling has to be confined to the *home*? :)


It's a *busy* time of year for our family! I know, though, that especially for the children, it creates many wonderful memories that they will think back on fondly. I am recording this here, so when I print out this year's blog book...it will be saved and remembered. :)

I need to get going...I have much to accomplish today. Laundry, dishes and school work with the children are all awaiting me! Before I go, though, I wanted to share a link about womanhood that I have listened to recently that I truly feel each of you will glean much wisdom and encouragement from. It can be found HERE. :) You can listen to it while you are online checking your email or have it on in the background while you are doing your housework. If you listen to it, I would love to hear your thoughts on it! And if you find it biblically sound and right, as I do, I hope you will pass it on to other women in your life!
Thank you for visiting me today! :o)

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

6 comments:

  1. They will have wonderful memories of family, working together, laughter...such a blessing Katy.

    And yes! Learning takes place every where!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing the children working at the meat market. They are learning a valuable skill and making great memories. I love how your family works together. Just how I feel it should be.

    Have a great evening, Katy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! (: Little helping hands. There are some children that work at the market that processes our deer meat. They look like little pros that have been doing it for all of their short lives. (: We had deer roast for dinner tonight. Is your in-laws' market also a taxidermy?

    Thanks for sharing Katy! I'm going to check out the link too.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked that picture of your children playing word games. That's the beauty of homeschooling, isn't it? Learning does not have to be confined to a classroom, but can take place anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good memories for the children for sure...and the sound of laughter...I can just hear it through the words you write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stumbled on your blog from Monica's at Homespun Heart. I live in PA too:) Close to Lancaster County. I just listen to Voddie Bauchman he is Awesome. Thank you Katy.
    Shelby~

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy