Friday, December 23, 2011

Days of December


Our days have been less hurried as of late. It's been wonderfully enjoyable. There are still the comings and goings of Chris to work, grocery trips and last minute shopping. But overall, there is a sense of rest in the air, a much needed one at that! You will find the children and I busy through the day still... schooling, tidying, washing, playing, baking and checking (and filling) the wood stove. We are taking a break from our school studies for today and the week ahead. It will be a nice time of re-charging for the new year. We were blessed on Wednesday to have my mom, sister and Squeezle over for a visit for lunch time (we usually meet at our dad's garage but I was babysitting my nephew from Chris's side and didn't have a proper car seat to take him anywhere...so *they* came to *us*!). Alas, I didn't take any pictures...but my sister took THIS one of Xavier and The-Big-Squeeze.

As I type, the children are out (and have been out there for a bit) in the garage (with their father's permission) making me a gift. Quite a fun little surprise! Such imaginations they have...oh! And now they have come back in, bellies growling for a snack! They are getting something now and going to snuggle into blankets and watch a movie. Our weather, although not overly cold, has been wet and soggy. Not very ideal for out-of-doors play. It's strange not having lots of snow here, now. We definitely seem to have the precipitation for it...just not the right temperatures. Although I am not a huge fan of the snow...the children are sure anxious to get out into some to play! But until then...they are finding in-door things to do...


Jaxson love to draw...


Madelyn, reading...


I keep busy too! Rolls for supper...


Watching a movie...


Schoolwork...





It's always more fun to read when you do so under a tent!


We had homemade mac and cheese and hamburgers for supper last night...


Followed by a rousing game of Wits and Wagers...



Madelyn won the first game!


Jaxson...the silly little guy!




"I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December
A magical thing
And sweet to remember.

'We are nearer to Spring
Than we were in September,'
I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December."


~Oliver Herford, I Heard a Bird Sing


We're looking forward to spending time, tomorrow, with my parents and sister's family for Christmas Eve. Eloise is growing so fast, it's terribly bittersweet. I'll be sure to snap some Squeezle-y photos tomorrow, to share! She is 11 months old today. Doesn't it feel like such a short time ago that I was posting about her birth?? My own children seem to grow so quickly, as well, but I guess, because I get to see them every day, it doesn't feel quite as fast as Eloise is growing and changing because I see her about once a week...and each week she seems *so* much older and changed! HERE she is back in July and again HERE in November! 

I hope you have a lovely weekend. I know most of you will be celebrating Christmas...and we will be praising Jesus...and loving him as we always do...just not in the Christ-Mass sort of way. He is Wonderful and Praise-Worthy for His birth, life, death and resurrection *every* day. ;) Anyhoooo...off I go to continue my day. Warm wishes for each of you!

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied
Katy

7 comments:

  1. I just love to see families play games together. My husband and I play with our daughter (age 13) a game of two just about every other day or so. Last night her and I played Monopoly (I won :))

    You're family is beautiful and happy.

    Blessings during this glorious holiday season.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merriest of Christmases to you Katy and to Chris, Madelyn, Xavier and Jaxson!

    May you continue in His blessing this coming year!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Katy, to you and yours! Be blessed!!

    Ellie :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is lovely to see your days. I always like qoutes, poems and such you add to your post. We just read this one out of our poems old and new poetry book a few weeks ago. I really like the lantern you have on the dinning table. Is that a real candle? I just adore Your daughter's sweet smile. Blessed be the name of our Lord our Savior Jesus Christ, each & every day, these are all Happy Holy days! Angelia in Tx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas to you and your family, may God truly bless you in the year to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Katy! Thanks for sharing all of your fun family times! Doesn't it seem so weird for C-mas to be here already? I was just telling my friend (who just moved here from Texas and was asking if this weather was normal for here) that I think the reason C-mas just seemed to appear out of nowhere is because we've only had two instances where we got enough snow that it laid on the ground. And it's been in the 40's and 50's! And a question totally unrelated... if I remember correctly, you taught yourself to knit? What resources did you use? I crochet and have been since I was in junior high. My grandma taught me and she also tried to teach me to knit, but I just couldn't get it back then. I've been wanting to try again, but I'm not sure where to start. Do you know of a good teaching book? One that would also tell me what supplies I would need to get started? I just know you're really into knitting and have really advanced in it, so I thought I'd ask you! Thanks! Have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Family games are so much fun. :)
    Have a wonderful Christmas and a very blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy