Monday, December 12, 2011

Making Caramels

I made caramels this weekend! Oh my, they are quite delicious! They would make *great* gifts as well! I thought you may enjoy making these, so I kept track of what I was doing and am going to share the recipe with you here!

To make around 2 1/2 pounds of caramel...you will need:

1c. butter
1 lb. brown sugar
dash of salt
1 c. light corn syrup
1 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

*Melt butter in saucepan. 


*Add brown sugar and salt. Stir. Pour in corn syrup and mix well.


*Gradually add the sweetened condensed milk, stirring constantly.


*Cook and stir over medium heat until candy reaches firm ball stage (245 on candy thermometer ~ about 12-15 minutes).




*Remove from heat, stir in vanilla. Pour into a buttered 9" square pan. 


*Cool and cut. I wrapped each piece in wax paper. They can be made made *much* neater than this (below)...but I was just trying to get them done...and these were just for us at home. It they were to be a gift, I would have sized and wrapped them much neater. :)



I hope you will give them a try! They are a wonderful treat! :) If you do, I would love to know what you thought of them! Enjoy!


Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

14 comments:

  1. I'm visiting via Deanna's Creekside Cottage. I saw "caramel" to my right and knew that I'd be zipping over. Since it is a high weather system, I will be trying these today and I promise to get back to you with my results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look so delicious,great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do look yummy and I definitely will be giving them a try.. if you get a chance check out my blog.. I just posted a delicious and fast recipe for peanut brittle.. I'm munching on a piece as I type and its so delicious..
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your lovely family
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm these sound so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound and look delicious... I'll have to make for my grand's and send to them! Thanks for the recipe!
    Warm Regards,
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  6. how awesome, i will have to try this re pie out :) thanks for sharing!happy holidays!!hope you can check out my blog for some +vibes and inspiration! i'm also hosting 2 rad giveaways! bracelets worn by kourtney kardashian, courtney cox and vanessa hudgens! check it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katy - I LOVE how you wrapped them up all cute! Such a great idea for this time of year!!!! Thanks so much for sharing! I have Sunday School teachers that I want to give some small gifts to. I'm making glazed almonds, chocolate-covered Oreos, and I think I might add these in to the mix! Sound easy and look adorable all wrapped up! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm going to make these for my dad for Christmas. He loves Caramels!! I'll be using your recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look great! I picked up sweetened condensed milk while at the store today. I plan to make a batch of these tomorrow. They will make great gifts! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look delicious!!! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    I must also share how my Mom taught me to make caramel...the kind you use in turtles - yum! This caramel is the BEST you will ever taste. I promise! It is so creamy and good!!!

    1 can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)

    Remove label. Place unopened can in a pot. Cover with water so the water is 3 to 4" above the can. Bring water to boil and boil steadily for 4 hrs.

    Make sure water stays above can or can can explode (never happened to me but just in case)....just keep can covered with water.

    After 4 hours remove the can with tongs and place on a wire rack to cool.

    When cooled, open & enjoy the best caramel you will ever taste...it's even the color of caramel.

    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katy, they turned out beautifully. Perhaps too beautifully. I'm linking back today. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katy,
    I made wrapped caramels for the first time this year, and the recipe I used is the one you listed here. It makes a yummy caramel. Because sea salt caramel anything seems to be very big right now, after I cut the caramels into squares, I sprinkled a little coarse sea salt on top right before I wrapped them--quite tasty--and makes a fun gift.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm...Katy...I followed your link in your newest post to find this recipe and I've copied it out. I will have to give it a try. Hugs to you! Camille

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy