Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Simple Living: Vacuum-Sealed Freezing

Would you like to save money, preserve taste and say *good-bye* to freezer burn? If so...you definitely want to look into one of THESE. **This is not an official review...just me...sharing this great method! :)


Do you have a vacuum sealer system? I was blessed to have won one from HERE. I had never used one before and was excited to give it a try! The thought of not ruining (and thus, wasting) food from freezer burn was wonderful! During this busy time of year for us, Chris and I hadn't had a chance to try out, but were anxious to. We had some time, recently, to give it a try...so with fresh meat I purchased from Chris's parents' meat market, we got ready to vacuum seal! I was given some already-made bags to seal in....but there is also a roll that you can make your own-sized bags, as well (which we did some of, as well!).

In the top photo, you can see we placed the beef roast inside a bag. Chris clicked a few buttons (to show if the item your sealing is dry or moist and such)...put the open end of the bag into the sealer...and it did it's thing!


You could hear all the air being sucked out of it! (It was so exciting! Yes, I know I am so simply amused like that!) After a few seconds, it releases the bag and you can pull it out...


Finished! Wasn't that easy?
I am so, so happy that I am able to save and keep food (especially meat) from getting freezer-burnt! Of course, I think canning is one of the *best* ways to preserve food (as the jars don't depend on being kept in a freezer) but this vacuum-sealed freezing rates a close second!


The beef roast was placed into the freezer, then we tried vacuuming sealing some chicken! **A word of caution: vacuum sealing can become extremely addictive! ;)


You can use the sealer system for other (dry) foods, as well! I have yet to try that, though. We have sealed some other things but I didn't photograph it all! ;) If you do this at home, I would love to hear some of the things you seal and keep fresh. :) I bet you could seal cookies and cakes, if you wanted to! Oh, the possibilities seem endless!

Before I go, I just want to say how glad I am so many like and plan on trying the caramel recipe I posted! They are truly delicious and I have had people ask me to make more (although I need to run to the store and get some more sweetened condensed milk first!).

It's cold here (and the wood stove is being a bit of a pickle today) but I am thankful the sun is shining brightly! Our day has been (and will continue to be) filled with schooling, housework and tending to the outdoor wood stove. We had spaghetti and meatballs for lunch (yum)...I have some meatballs left over...I think it's time to vacuum seal!! :) Tonight will be spent wrapping deer meat at the meat market again.

Thank you for stopping by to visit me here. The world-wide-web is such a strange thing, if you really think about it...isn't it? There are ga-zillions of sites and I appreciate that you took the time to visit my bitty-bit of a site! :o) Happy Tuesday!

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
 Katy

11 comments:

  1. glad it finally came! i'd be addicted too! haha! sounds like something maybe sandi and randy could use for business!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to own one, it sounds terrific! It's always interesting to read your blog, but most of all, encouraging! I hope you and your family ha a Very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visit because I LOVE your site! It makes me feel so warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have had our sealer for several years now and use it regularly. It has saved us lots of time and money. I don't think we could live without one now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so very handy. I would love to have a system like that. I'm sure it is a great job to do.
    Your recipe for caramels looks fantastic !!!
    Blessings to you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katy,

    We've had our sealer for years & use is quite often. I work full time outside the home and have frozen meals in it (such as spaghetti & meatballs) and all you do is drop the bag into boiling water for 8 minutes or so (single serving size) and you have a fresh meal (made a few weeks ago).

    Bags are pretty price, you can get a good price when you buy them by the case.

    Take care,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog, Katy! Thanks for entering my giveaway today over at Faith's Firm Foundation--I'm glad to get to know you! Have a blessed day:)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katy, I have had my vacuum sealer since 1989 and I LOVE IT!!! I also have the ball jar attachments so I can seal canning jars. That comes in handy when you have dry goods that you want to keep fresh but don't put in the freezer. I do love to be able to buy meat in bulk, seperate and then vacuum seal and freeze!!! So glad you are happy with your new toy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been wanting to try this for awhile now as I've heard great things about it. Always wonderful to find those things that enhance our lives each day. :-) Have a wonderful week!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl . . . good for you! Looks like you're always winning something. God surely provides doesn't he?! (: I'm excited to try the caramels! We'll be doing some holiday baking next week and the caramels will also be nice to gift to the neighbors. Thanks so much Katy! Have a great day!

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Save a newspaper the day a new baby is born to a friend or family member. Fold it in thirds or in half with the date showing, seal in your vacuum sealer, tie a pink or blue ribbon around it. Then save it for when the baby reaches their first birthday. It makes a great gift. I have done this for years and everyone is always pleased.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy