Monday, December 19, 2011

The Makings of a Wood Shed

 Before I say anything else, I simply *must* tell you how thrilled I am...deer season is over!! The deer are cut and wrapped! Whew! It's been a long few weeks! I am so very ready for evenings at home as a family! :o)

In other exciting news in our neck of the woods...Saturday afternoon, Chris began building a wood shed! We have needed one desperately since getting the wood stove (wet, snowy wood does not burn well!)...but never had the time to get one built. Chris was determined, while the snow seemed to be holding off this month, to build one! So off he journeyed to Lowe's, in the next town over. He got the supplies and came back and began setting the poles. (I helped with this part!) To our joy, Chris's uncle came over (who builds for a living) and helped Chris. His cousin came to help too! He was able to get so much accomplished with their help! Since I took these photos (below), the roof is finished. Chris will also be putting on a back and sides to the shed too. I just love it and am so thankful for my husband and those who helped him. This will benefit us greatly (when the fire goes out in the wood stove, it's difficult to be out in the freezing temps and trying to get the fire going with wet wood! Even when we covered the wood with tarps, when it snowed it froze the tarps and piled on top of them, making it difficult to get the wood beneath them!).


It all looks like a very disorganized mess right now...but thanks to another kind friend who lent us a log-splitter, we'll get it all cleared out, logs split and well-stacked soon! :)


Inside, I've been crocheting dish cloths, enjoying candles and lamp-light, schooling with the children, baking, reading and housework (the laundry is never-ending...wash, dry, fold, put away...REPEAT! ;).






I made Chex Mix last night...a family favorite!


Chris has just risen from his slumber. Time to help him get ready for work!
I hope your Monday is joy-filled!

Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied,
Katy

11 comments:

  1. A wood shed is so helpful! How great to have his uncle and cousin help!

    I really like that candle - I've seen them around.

    Glad along with you that deer season is done! So much work, but a blessing to those whose meat you processed!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katy! First of all, I love the candle, it is really neat! And I am so glad that you were able to get a wood shed up, and the help to do it, what a blessing. I hope you have a wonderful day today!

    And yay! Deer season is over! Now you can relax a little more!

    Blessings,
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy! First of all, I love the candle, it is really neat! And I am so glad that you were able to get a wood shed up, and the help to do it, what a blessing. I hope you have a wonderful day today!

    And yay! Deer season is over! Now you can relax a little more!

    Blessings,
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the most interesting candle I've ever seen! Wow - that should last a while?

    Merry Christmas!
    Love,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing your wood shed will be!

    Yes, my dad is home from deer season, and my mom is so glad to have him home! :)

    Had to tell you that Joy learned to knit at the Nursing Home last week. She taught me some and it's really not that hard! :)

    Love your crocheted dish towels! I do love to crochet and I think you're getting me in the mood to get it out again and get started on something!

    Have a great week, Katy!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you will have dry wood this season! An extra blessing! Your dishcloths are so pretty:) every once in a while i find some at the thrift store probably donated by talented people such as yourself:) I always quickly buy them and use them till they fall apart:)
    That chair is just so cozy and inviting , makes me wanna curl up there with a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have a wood shed but now that the side porch is done and the roof is finished this works perfectly for opening the door and loading the stove.I remember those days last year when we were so cold and I had to go out and clear the tarp just to bring some wood into the house.I try NOT to let the stove go out especially at night so YES I do get up about every 4 hours to load the stove.The things we do to keep warm.

    That is nice to be able to use a log splitter,hubby use to have one but we gave it to my dad (BC he is getting too old to cut with the axe)

    Do you like deer meat,is it a big difference than hamburger.It has been many years since I had any and well we need to figure out a cheaper meat than the store,plus I would like to kill a deer on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great to get a wood shed, it will be such a blessing to you!!
    That candle is so cool, I have never seen one like that!! Hope your having a wonderfully Blessed day Katy!!:0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a blessing, a shed can be! What a blessing helping hands are! I love your pretty cloths, and am happy for you that the work of the deer processing is over for the year! Home to hearth, and kindred.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love your candle! And the lantern!! And your woodshed! :)

    By the way, you were the winner of Beth Moore's "Breaking Free" book from my Giveaway last week. If you could email me at tfomplus2 @ gmail.com with your mailing address, I will get that right out to you! Blessings, Kasey
    http://www.thesefiveofmineplustwo.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. The wood shed looks great. Love your music as well Katy.

    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy