Friday, February 18, 2011

The Smell of Spring...

It's windy, here...but oh so much more seasonably warmer these past few days! It has just been wonderful! It really gets you into spring-cleaning-mode, doesn't it? You can just *smell* spring in the air when you open the door or window! The mud that develops, as the snow melts, though, is just awful! The children, eager to enjoy the weather, have been out in snow boots and muck boots! Finishing schoolwork and housework was treacherous to them, it seemed, as they all were so antsy to get outside (there were frisbees to throw and paths to run, dont you know!? ;)!

I must say, too, that spring has come just in the *nick* of time, as I was really starting to feel the drudges of the winter blues setting in. Each year, I try to convince myself that I will not get them...but it seems I don't have much choice in the matter. Each year, after months of snow and clouds...my mind decides to start feeling frumpy. I find these quotes encouraging when I find this happening. I read them often:

"If a sudden jar can cause me to speak an impatient, unloving word, then I know nothing of Calvary love. For a cup brimful of sweet water cannot spill even one drop of bitter water, however suddenly jolted." ~Amy Carmichael
"If you look at the world, you'll be distressed. If you look within, you'll be depressed. If you look at God you'll be at rest." ~Corrie ten Boom
And~then, just when I don't think I can take another day of it...God blows His sweet warm breath across the land and almost instantly, I feel such a rejuvenation! The smell of the spring air gives me such hope and happiness! I know that, soon, the mud will disappear and the grass, leaves and flowers will begin growing!

Our days have been continuing on in their usual fashion....housework, schoolwork, bread & meal baking, knitting, reading, playing, fellowshipping with loved ones and the like. :)

Xavier, helping mama by wiping down cupboards in the kitchen...

Fresh bread...


A wonderful little collection of books, all ready to be soaked in by my mind and heart (I am already started in Gold Cord & have read snippets of His Thoughts Said...His Father Said...)...

**And...look at this great buy, I found, below. It's a recipe keeper/binder. Of course, we could all do the exact same thing with a plain old binder...but I found this one at Ollie's for a great price! Have you ever been to an Ollie's? It's just a great place! We don't have one near us, but there *is* one near my sister, so after visiting her on Monday this week, I stopped there to look around!

I think it is just fantastic! It has fun pages of tips, tricks, ideas and substitutions that you can use...

Then it has tabs where you can put in recipes you have written or printed out...

I still have more recipe pages to put in and I am sure it will continue to fill, over time. But I thought it was just so fun and wanted to share it with you. I found it, online, for you~if you want to order it HERE (Although, you *may* find it cheaper elsewhere, like I did!).

If you can remember, during your time of prayer, please lift up Chris's dad. We all love him so. He is coming home today after a few days' stay at the hospital in the next town over. He has had different troubles with his heart and, then, when his one arm went numb Wednesday night, my mother-in-love took him directly to the hospital. It is a blessing that she did...for after taking scans...it showed that one of the stents he had to have put in, previously, was blocked! Truly a scary thing. They did angioplasty and were able to fix it. I am so thankful for the wisdom and knowledge that God gives doctors and surgeons. It's amazing~the things they can do. Thank you, ahead of time, as I know the beautiful people who stop by this blog do keep me and mine in prayer. What a gift, to know, that people are praying for me and my loved ones. I feel as though I can't thank you enough. :)

Wishing you and yours an enjoyable weekend.
Kindly,
Katy
He must increase, but I must decrease. ~John 3:30

10 comments:

  1. Oh what a super cute recipe binder!! I love it! Ohh how I wish I could sit still long enough to read. I am *starting* to settle down at night.. I am usually busy doing laundry, caughting up on phone calls, etc etc etc. HOWEVER I am reading a great little "reflection" type book.. not so much a devotional persay.. it's The View from Goose Ridge" by Cheryl Bostrom I like it.. Anyway.. have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~You and your Family have our Prayers~ ~Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am LOVING the warm, breezy weather, I even hung a few blouses out to dry today! We have an Ollies close by and I find the best bargain books there too, they have a great selection:) Will definitely say a prayer for your FIL:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will pray for your FIL. Glad that he was able to have the stent repaired. We are having the same weather and it is so wonderful after such a harsh winter. I have the same recipe binder and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have definitely noticed the change in the sunlight and even though it is cold outside, the sun is warm and bright. I have even seen 2 robins already!

    I am praying for your dear father in law!

    Blessings,
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring is the air around here also. I am sure that there will still be some winter like day, but like you I needed the touch of spring. My winter blues have been bad this year!

    I'll be praying for your FIL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll say a prayer for your FIL. So glad your MIL took him to the hospital right away.

    I was having an unusually bad case of the winter blahs but a couple of days of getting out of the house this week helped.

    Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your FIL is doing better. Looks like you have a good little helper there with the chores.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just had to write you and let you know that i finally bought some Mrs. Meyers counter top cleaner (because of one of you older posts!) and i love it!! I wish i would've bought it earlier!!
    I love your blog...you always seem to be on the same road as me...and your words of inspiration help me more than you know...you are truly a messenger of God...and i am thankful he has helped me find you!!
    God bless you continuously and may you always find happiness in the simple!
    Your friend in God,
    Tonia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather from Illinois :)February 21, 2011 at 12:10 PM

    When I visit my friend in PA, Ollies is a MUST do during our visit! We don't have them in Illinois. I have petitioned the store to open some in Illinois. Still waiting patiently...

    I will be praying for Chris' dad. My mom has Alzheimer's. The disease has progressed very badly. She is only 64. I know how difficult it is to see our parents health decline. I will also pray for Chris and your family.

    In HIS love ~ Heather from Illinois :)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy