Saturday, February 26, 2011

♥ Life ♥

When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...
And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life.

~Monty Python's Life of Brian

Moments come when struggles boil over, with lots of tears and frustration. These are a part of life, which none of us like. But, we can use these struggles and mistakes, to grow, change, and humble ourselves...realizing our flaws and short-comings. We need to allow God to clean out our hearts and renew a right spirit within us. We need to let Him fill us to over-flowing (as I have to do, continually)...so that others can rightly see the love of Jesus shining forth from us! We should thank Him for the forgiveness and the humbling of self that He gives and accept His love and peace.

There are times where, like last evening, I will see that my children's ideas of *cleaning* their rooms actually consist of seeing how much they can shove under their beds. Oh my...the amount of clothes we pulled out from under there...unable to tell if they were truly clean or dirty...so in the laundry they *all* went (which gives you an idea of what I am doing today!). I was so frustrated and tears flowed, steadily. For me, I take these things personally. I am not sure if *you* feel that way as well...but to me, it feels as though the children aren't respecting me enough to do it properly. Now, of course, they don't see it that way at all....they see it as the quickest way to clean!

I fall short, often, but continually, to my relief, He picks me back up. Crying out my sadness, on the phone, with my mother helped me to calm down and get perspective. Chris was full of warm embraces this morning, to show his love. And my dad even called, encouraging me with scripture from his daily Bible reading time. God holds us when times are tough. He doesn't promise that everything will always be easy...but He does promise to never leave us.

But...in all this...God brought to mind that although they do know better, that as a mother, I need to become more consistent in holding them accountable. A weekly (or bi-weekly or even daily) room check may be necessary. Making sure folded laundry gets put away properly the first time, will save time in the long run, as well. So, I have learned that despite their wrongs in the situation...there *are* ways for me to improve it, as well. :) Laziness, a lack in making sure things are done the right way, is a fault of mine. I am so thankful for this time of growth. I have learned and gleaned much! :)

Some photos of *parts* of my life that give me joy...



Look at this older picture I found recently. Oh...it made my heart sing. I'm sorry it's a little blurry...but it is a picture of Chris and Madelyn, on her 2nd birthday! Look at her hair! The first few years of her life she had those crazy, tight, absolutely adorable ringlets! It is terribly hard for me to fathom how it is possible that she will turn 10 this year!?

Jaxson and Madelyn playing cars...

A freshly-made-by-Madelyn bed (I think she did a good job!)...

Her dollhouse...I love to see how she has things set up, from time-to-time...

Isn't this sewing basket, found at a thrift store a while back, so incredibly cute? I love it!

Madelyn doing some copywork...

X and his language arts...

Some fantastic bits of information about the Charlotte Mason method of schooling that I found HERE and copied, to have, and glean from (I love keeping things in binders...I have a binder for about everything. Is that odd? ;)...

Fresh, warm, Amish White Bread...

Steak salads for supper, one evening, (one of my favorites!)...

And...I also wanted to show you this fantastic perpetual quilted calendar that I won from Kathleen! Isn't it just fantastic? I think it is so creative and fun! If you would like one of your *own*, you can find them HERE. :)

Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.
~Oscar Wilde

Thanks so much for coming by to visit. I hope you have a great weekend!
Warmly,
Katy :)
He must increase, but I must decrease. ~John 3:30

16 comments:

  1. Oh that brings back memories, my son was terrible with cleaning his room and shoving *everything* under the bed! He would NEVER make his bed, so now that he's in the Army I asked him recently if he enjoys making his bed every morning, his reply was "I don't have to because I don't sleep in it" I asked him why in the world not and he said" we sleep on the floor in our sleeping bags, saves alot of time in the AM by NOT making beds" Oh good grief, I had to LOL at that one:D Hope you have a great weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed this post! You have a wonderful perspective.
    What a blessed life you have. And, as you know, blessed doesn't mean easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I had one of those mornings just today. It was with my youngest daughter and checking with me and listening to me.
    Blessings to you.
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I immediatley sang along with the Life of Brian song! lol The old 'clothes under the bed' trick sure bought back some memories! Love the pictures and your positive focus! Enjoyed this post a lot.
    'hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  5. My children are all grown and all four daughters are wonderful housekeepers, but it wasn't always like that! I remember our oldest daughter had been sent to clean her room and when I went to check she had crammed everything between her bed and the wall. Biting my tongue for a minute and getting control of my anger, I finally looked at her and simply said,"You know, rats really love to make their nests in areas like that." Needless to say, it was "hoed" out very quickly and never happened again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother said there would be "days like that". Just know that you have typical children. They are going to be alright and you are too. Your sister said she now had the hardest job she had ever had. Once a mother, always a mother. Even when they are grown, with kids of their own, you wonder sometimes when things are not going so well if you were a failure. My problem now is trying not to tell them how to live their lives. They are wonderful people and they just have to make their own mistakes and learn from them. Our downs make us more gratful for our ups.
    You are a great mother! I can read your blog and look at you, your husband, and children and know that.
    Love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it at your place. What wondeful memories you and your family are making in your HOME. Never to be forgotten.

    Hugs sweetie,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love coming and visiting to your
    wonderful home,such a sweet Photo
    of the Childern at the stove cooking,Blessings are make in
    heaven.. and you are so blessed

    Hugs / Blesssings
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  9. i swear, i didn't give your kids cleaning tips.... but it sounds awfully familiar! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy,

    I can feel your frustration. One thing that has helped our family,is a daily chore list. Every Monday the children have to make sure there drawers and closets are organized. Mom or Dad inspects their rooms. Also, I have instructed my children from a very young age that they do not stuff things under their beds. I would tell them stories about how mice and spiders like to live in areas that are not tidy. I want to be truthful and honest about bad habits. I am happy mother to say that they understand what Mom is telling them.

    Katy, it is all about training and it does take time.

    Blessing,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, for posting about Charlotte Mason. I just pulled my boys out of Public School last month, and I am still trying to find my way. Her methods are a true inspiration! Thank You again! God Bless You and Your Family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much Katy. The past few days have been a very difficult struggle for me,I blogged about it today actually, I was so frustrated! You always make me see things as they should be,or I should say..God shows me through you, and I appreciate you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wait til they're teenagers. :) My son is now 19, married and leaving for boot camp tomorrow (*tears*), and I was afraid to go into his room when he was a teen. I knew it would infuriate me, so I chose my battles and didn't make that one of them. My daughter, who is now 13, doesn't do much better, much to my dismay.

    Always love to read your blog, Katy. You're a wonderful mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Katy! My kids are often like that with the cleaning, and I have often been so discouraged! But now I check more often and keep after them!

    Just wanted to say I know how you feel!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. youre such a good person katy..

    ReplyDelete
  16. What is that on top of your steak salad?

    I understand your frustration with the "under the bed" method. One thing I go by that helps me is "inspect what you expect". I may not always get to inspect, but the kids think I will ;)

    Loved catching up on your blogs. We were gone in Florida for a week visiting my husbands parents who snowbird there from Michigan.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy