Sunday, May 23, 2010

Quiet Times with God

I really enjoy my quiet times with God. Mostly, they happen in the early morning hours while everyone is still asleep. Occasionally, though, they may happen numerous times through the day. If the kids are out playing on a sweet sunshiney afternoon...I will steal a few moments alone to sit and read God's word and reflect on it for a while. Do you hunger for Him? I never feel that I know enough...I am always seeking. Not because of myself...but because of my love for Him and longing to be close to Him...and know Him more.

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
~Psalm 19:14

I just began a new personal bible study Discovering the Treasures of a Godly Woman: Proverbs 31 by Elizabeth George. So far, I am really enjoying it. :) In addition to my quiet times, I am reading Reclaiming Christianity: A Call to Authentic Faith by A.W. Tozer. It's a great book that I highly recommend! What are you reading, and using for your quiet times lately? I would love to hear what you use! Often, I don't use a book to study...I will just sit and read God's word and try my best to see what He has for me in it and then apply it! :)

While running errands the other day, I needed to stop by a local store to pick something up for my mom. While there, I couldn't help but look around for a bit. It's a store I love...always getting new treasures in. I found the crock and the enamelware mug, in the picture at the top, there. Each item was only $2! I also found the watering trough for birds there, in the above picture! *Poor birds...I haven't filled it with water yet!* ;)

Today was church, followed by a simple lunch at home and naps in the afternoon. The sun was shining and bright...so as soon as the children awoke...they hurried out to enjoy the warm weather! While Chris went to visit with his brother for a bit....I spent time doing some housework and reading my Bible. A nice, slow day to enjoy! :)

Since we had a lot of rain yesterday...once Chris got home from his brother's, he started up the mower and mowed today before the yard looked like a field! :) I love the smell of fresh cut grass!
I got busy on supper while Chris mowed and the children busied themselves outside, off and on. *I say "off and on" because every few minutes, one of the littles was running in, in need of a drink of water, a band-aid for a boo-boo, or just "stopping in to see what Mama was doing"...!*

We had breakfast for supper....fresh eggs from the *girls*, corn muffins from scratch, and bacon from the family meat market! *Yum* We are so blessed for the food God provides. We have never truly known what it is to "go without". May we, as followers of Him, provide for others around us, so they may not need to go without either. Knowing how much He loves and values us...doesn't it make you just want to share that with everyone around you? :)

Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.
~Matthew 10:29-31

The boys received haircuts today followed by a warm bath. I think they look quite handsome! ;)

Madelyn had a lovely time in Massachusetts. From all reports (from my mom and aunts)...she was very well behaved and a big help with what they were doing. :) Hearing your children have been well behaved and helpful is such a blessing to a mother's ears, isn't it?

And before I go....I wanted to share something that has been on my heart. :)

One of my favorite verses (although, truly, I have many....how can you pick just one...or just a few, for that matter? God's Word is full of beautiful and wonderful things!) is Colossians 4:6, I quote it often....

Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

It is my goal to live my life in a way pleasing to God. I know He loves me and that I don't have to *work* for His approval...however, I do want to live a life that reflects and glorifies Him. Speaking in love and grace with gentleness is what I have been striving for. I sincerely desire to have a meek and quiet spirit....while still having the bubble-y and joyful personality that God gave me! :)

But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
~ 1 Peter 3:4

If this is also the desire of your heart...you may find these following links helpful to you! :)

Our Desire for a Meek and Quiet Spirit ~ Teri Maxwell
The Ornament of a Meek and Quiet Spirit

Thanks so much for coming by to visit. :) I really appreciate it. I hope you, through the good and the bad, enjoy the week ahead...having a thankful heart and praising Him continually! :)

11 comments:

  1. Lovely post Katy. Your boys look so sweet, much like their mama. Love all the bible verses and your thoughts. Hope that you have a wonderful and blessed week ahead! xxoo
    PS Breakfast for supper is one of our favs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Katy!
    I'm so thankful to see what God is doing in your life. Praise be to Him. He has been speaking to me, as well, about having times during my day with Him and not *just* in the mornings. We are to 'pray without ceasing'. I'm getting to that place it seems. :)
    Love your post...so refreshing. Love to hear about your days!!
    I'm off to do a Weekend Recap Post at my blog...stop by, we'll have a chat. :)
    Hugs,
    Natural Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. I just love nice slow days at home. Take care and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're always an inspiration for me....Thank you

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your life is an inspiration.....I am sure the Father is blessed as you seek Him daily and lead your children in a lifestyle that does the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing such another beautiful day!

    One of my favorite home school books that I often refer back to is Home Schooling with A Meek and Quiet Spirit by Teri Maxwell!

    That always helps me to keep my perspective straight!

    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy your beautiful blog and kin dof off topic but I was planting a garden of flowers today and I thought of you....I'll be posting pics soon so you can take a look! Maybe later tonight..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, it was so nice to "meet" you on my blog(prairiefyyourlife). I love your blog, its very warm and full of good feelings. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katy, You give me inspiration each time I come to visit your blog.Thank you.
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy, I love my quiet times with the Lord too. I rise before anyone in my house just to have my time with God. I hunger for it too. I am like a sponge, cannot soak up enough.
    I love your pictures and the breakfast looks wonderful...I am sitting here hungry.
    Thanks for your blog! I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your posts as always..
    hugs,

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy