Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Loving Encouragement in Truth

Like I had mentioned in my post, yesterday, I am reading Reclaiming Christianity: A Call to Authentic Faith by A.W. Tozer. Wow! It is passionate and a definite must-read for all Christians, in my opinion.

I don't know about you...but for me, I struggle with knowing when I am acting in a righteous way or not (in some things). There has always seemed to me that there is a fine line between unrighteous judgment and righteous judgment. Of course *self*-righteous judgment is wrong. Judging by my standards is absolutely not the way God wants us to do things. However, as Tozer brings up in his book, as the church of God (I don't mean an individual building...but Christians who make up the *church*), we are to stand against the things of the world and the evil one.

Of course, we are to live in absolute love, always. However, we are not to condone, accept (or especially participate) in things that are clearly spoken of as wrong-doing in God's Word. How can it be loving, to know another is engaging in things that are not of God, and not gently and lovingly warn them? We should have a heart for restoration...not condemnation. A heart of love....that wishes good for that other person. We should not bring up their faults to make ourself look "good".

Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted.
~Galatians 6:1

First, we must look into our own lives. Are we, in our actions and behavior, glorifying God in what we do? We must *not* be hypocritical. We should be living in authentic faith, ourselves, before restoring anyone else. But, again, I want to emphasize that if you are restoring someone...it must only be done in love, with glorifying God at the heart. It's not our job to pick people apart...but rather strive to help them because we love them and desire for them to love God and spend eternity with Him.

God has been opening my eyes so much lately. I have been praying for wisdom and knowledge on this issue. It is so important to me...because I would never want to hurt anyone...but at the same time, I don't want to mesh with the world by turning a blind eye to sin. For we are told....

For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
~Galatians 5:14

Knowing that thousands upon thousands of people die, daily, without the hope of an eternity with God....are we truly reaching out in love? Are we seeking to restore hearts to Him? If you were, unknowingly, on a path that led *away* from Christ rather than *to* Him...wouldn't you want someone to help turn you around?

Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.
~James 5:19-20

I write to encourage you as I am being encouraged. I am not perfect. I'm not sitting here to condemn anyone...but rather, as Tozer, I genuinely hope and pray for the true restoration of the church. I am here, a simple wife and mother....just sharing what God has layed on my heart. He loves you and desires for you to be part of His flock. He is the Shepherd. Love each other, gently restore each other and walk in the Spirit! The example of our daily living, in Truth, is a huge testimony to those around us!

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.
~Galatians 5:16

I encourage you to read THIS, entitled Encouragement to Soul Winners, from Charles Spurgeon. It's quite long...so you can skim and glean important parts or else...I hope you will set aside a quiet time to read it....if you can.

Thy Word is like a garden, Lord.
With flowers bright and fair;
And everyone who seeks may pluck
A lovely cluster there.
Thy Word is like a deep, deep mine;
And jewels rich and rare
Are hidden in its mighty depths
For every searcher there.

They Word is like a starry host:
A thousand rays of light
Are seen to guide the traveler,
And make his pathway bright.
Thy Word is like an armory,
Where soldiers may repair,
And find, for life's long battle day,
All needful weapons there.

~Edwin Hodder

My greatest hope is that you find encouragement in these words. Imagine the beautiful revival that can start when each heart is focused on Him. :) I would love for you to share your thoughts with me!

And before I go...I wanted to share a picture of the beautiful picture my mom found for me! Although I don't have a barn...it shows the sheep and chickens, I both dearly love! :) My mom knew that I would love it, to adorn my walls. She found it for a great deal...and I was so thankful for it! :)

I appreciate you coming by. Thanks so much for reading and sharing your heart with me. :)

Warm wishes for a beautiful day, friends!
Katy

11 comments:

  1. sometimes it's hard to not sound judgmental even when trying to lovingly approach someone about a sin, concern, etc.... i guess this is where we have to pray for God to give us the words!!

    nice picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie Thank you for sharing. You are a sweet spirit. To share your corner of life here is a blessing. Thank you for your example in words and deeds from the heart. It is a lovely encouraging one. Smiles, Angelia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Know that God is using you to help others. This I am sure of because I have shed tears while reading your last 2 posts. I am one of them. Sunday someone hurt me with such unkind words & threats. I have been haveing a hard time accepting that they were from someone I love with all my heart and that they could even say them. May God bless you for being a willing soul to share his word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love your blog! I'm a busy girl (like everyone else, I'm sure) but I always find the time to check out your latest post! This post was so right on. How true that we must be out to restore, not condemn. I have such a burden for the unsaved and the lukewarm.

    I have 3 of the homestead blessing DVD's. I got them last year for Mother's Day. I love them and have even used them as teaching tools for the girls at church. I would eventually like to get more.

    I love looking at your pictures. I just picture you having the most cozy home ever!

    Thanks so much for commenting on my blog. I too like to plan and be detailed, but am feeling quite overwhelmed lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! That is such a good post! I love Charles Spurgeon and can't wait to meet him in heaven some day. By God's grace he has single handedly mentored me through his book, Morning and Evening, for over 15 years now. If I was stranded on an island the bible and that book would be the only ones I would need.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to let you know that I absolutely LOVE your blog! It has been most encouraging to me. I look forward everyday to see if there are new posts! I love the pics of your home - it seems to cozy! Again, thank you for standing on your values and never being afraid to say so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right. We need to first examine ourselves before we even think to examine someone else.

    Lovely thoughts for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to check this book out! thanks for sharing....Have a blessed and joyous day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Speaking the Truth in love is always the right thing to do. (Emphasis on the word love!)

    I do believe that we must pray for wisdom in using His Word correctly, as well as ask Jesus to show us if we have any "logs" to remove before we seek to be speck removers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your farm picture, and would enjoy a real tour of your place...It looks very inviting! mm

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy