Friday, May 28, 2010

"In family life..." (Updated!)

...love is the oil that eases friction, the cement that binds closer together, and the music that brings harmony."
~Eva Burrows

I really enjoy making my house a nice, cozy home for my family to live in. Of course, it's not about *stuff* but about the love that abides within the walls of each room! :) However, when you can find something functional and lovely in your home...it's always a plus! I have been on the look-out for a nice shelf to house some of my most treasured books. Fortunately, I found one! Former neighbors of ours who we love and miss, dearly, are having a yard sale.
I thought it started yesterday, so we drove out, in the mid-morning, to their home and they had just started setting up. (I had been mistaken...their yard sale is Fri and Sat...instead of Thurs and Fri). Lovely Miss Teah said she was so happy to see us and had just been thinking how she would love to have me there to help! So her and her husband asked if I would stay to help, and I happily agreed! So we set up while the kids played in the yard. (Mr. Chris...Teah's husband...even gave the kids a couple rides on his 4-wheeler! They loved it!) They fed us lunch and gave me money to get the kids icecream on the way home! Aren't they so sweet!? :) **We left around 3 that afternoon...the sun/heat was really getting to me and I started getting a headache and not feeling well! I dread when that happens!**

So*this* morning...when the yard sale was actually going on...the kids and I drove back out to their house! I purchased the book shelf in the pictures...as well as a couple small tables.

This is how I had it arranged, first......


But I moved it over here instead and I like it better.....


And set another table between the two chairs instead.....

**I updated this post with the newly arranged pics....since I didn't keep the shelf in front of the windows! :)

It's nearing lunchtime, now, so I had better get going. Everyone's tummies are growling! :) Thanks so much for coming by, I do appreciate it! I hope you have an enjoyable holiday weekend, remembering those who have fought for the freedom, we enjoy!

The runner is a gift from my mom! <3

I'll leave you with this lovely thought:

No matter what you've done for yourself or for humanity, if you can't look back on having given love and attention to your own family, what have you really accomplished?
~Elbert Hubbard (emphasis mine)

8 comments:

  1. looks good! i need shelves in my living room!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. like it better on the side... it isn't blocking the window.... what happened to your rooster shelf thingy?? i thought it used to be btwn the chairs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A love your thought - love and attention to your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog. Love the inspiration. Just became a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really good! I was so suprised that your neighbor's name is Teah...that is my oldest daughter's name. Spelled exactly the same way..... Have a blessed and joyous holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really LOVE the way you decorate your home! That shelf was a good find. I could use one myself, as my book collection is overflowing. Sounds like you are blessed with wonderful friends ~smile~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you got a great shelf! Love the runner too!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy