Saturday, March 13, 2010

Pretzels, Mac & Cheese....& Schooling!

The other day, I made some homemade soft pretzels....they turned out deeee-lish! They didn't last too long! ;) They are definitely a favorite in my home! Have you ever made these? What does your family think about them?

Do you make homemade mac and cheese at your house? If you don't....you *should*! It's super easy and soooo much better than the boxed stuff!
All you have to do is cook your favorite noodles on the stove. Drain. Then put half of them into a casserole dish. Layer different cheeses (any that you like...I use American, Mozzerella, Velveeta and Cheddar) on top of there. Also put on a few pats of butter. Then add another layer of noodles and then another layer of different cheeses. (Not every inch of the noodles have to be covered in cheese...after it cooks...you will stir it all together and everything will get coated!). Add a little bit of milk (I never measure...I just pour a lil in). Then I bake till I notice the cheese is pretty melted. Stir to coat all the noodles and serve! Delicious....yes! Healthy...not really! ;)


We are around 140 days into our homeschooling! Only 40 days to go! Of course, every day of the year is a wonderful learning experience for them...but we have to do 180 days of actual *work* and be able to document that to turn into the school at the end of the school year.

Jaxson...who is 4...likes to color alot during schooling. He also sounds out letters and words etc. while I am working with Xavier. I also work in a preschool workbook with him sometimes! :)

Xavier (who uses My Father's World Kindergarten curriculum) is working in his binder. MFW sends a pack of worksheets when you order their curriculum and I hole-punched them and put them in a binder to keep them organized....(and...because I love binders! ;)

Xavier is doing super well with his reading and I am so proud of him! Teaching your children to read, although difficult at times, is sooo rewarding...to them and to the parent! :)

Madelyn, who was feeling a bit *under-the-weather* yesterday...worked on her schoolwork as well...but because she wasn't feeling 100%, she was able to work at a pace that was good for her (and she was able to stay in her pajamas!).

I can hardly believe we are nearing the end of our 2nd year of homeschooling! I remember when Chris and I were wrestling with the idea of homeschooling. Is it what God wanted for our family? Could we afford it? Is it the best thing for our children? And now...I feel sooo at peace with it all. I *do* feel it is what God wants for our family. We *can* afford it. And it is *definitely* the best thing for our children!!! :)

If you have thought about homeschooling your children but have questions, concerns, or reservations....I encourage you to first, pray about it....and then...if you have anything you want to ask me...I would be thrilled to share with you whatever I can. I am not perfect...but I will definitely share what information I have about homeschooling! When we were first deciding it...I asked sooo many home-educating bloggers questions! Their help was wonderful and so appreciated and I hope to be able to encourage anyone else who wants to pursue this with their children. :) If you would like to see other past posts on our homeschool days....click HERE. :)

***And...if you worry about "sheltering" your children too much~ read THIS post and I may do one here on my blog at some point too. :)

I am much afraid that the schools will prove the very gates of hell, unless they diligently labour in explaining the Holy Scriptures, and engraving them in the hearts of youth. I advise no one to place his child where the scriptures do not reign paramount. Every institution in which means are not unceasingly occupied with the Word of God must be corrupt.
- Martin Luther

Instruction, and advice, and commands will profit little, unless they are backed up by the pattern of your own life. Your children will never believe you are in earnest, and really wish them to obey you, so long as your actions contradict your counsel... Think not your children will practise what they do not see you do. You are their model picture, and they will copy what you are... will seldom learn habits which they see you despise, or walk in paths in which you do not walk yourself.
-
J.C. Ryle, The Upper Room (1888)

8 comments:

  1. Homemade is always best and better, and that goes for schooling too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT POST! We're into year 2 of homeschooling (my son is in 1st grade).

    Great encouragement!!
    Stef

    ReplyDelete
  3. the food looks delich..
    love the way your squares are coming along..
    have a nice weekend friend..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I said to my husband, just yesterday, that I need some new recipe ideas. It's too easy for me to get in a rut. That mac and cheese looks so good! We NEVER eat the boxed kind, but I haven't made the homemade kind for so long. That and a little salad would be perfect!

    Your children look so sweet. They are blessed to be taught by their mother and father, just as the Lord intended!

    Deut. 6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I envy you, we are only on day 70..we started soo late this year. 1st grade and K-4 Abeka is a load, but as you said very rewarding!!
    Your little ones are too cute!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy! Homemade pretzels!! Now you have me looking for a recipe, so family and I can enjoy them! I always make homemade mac and cheese too, none of that powdered stuff for me! I am so impressed by your homeschooling! I wish I had that chance when our sons were young!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colorful map you have on the wall. Could you please share where you got it?

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy