Thursday, October 1, 2009

"Reading is the basic tool.....

....in the living of a good life."
~Joseph Addison


Although not pictured above...the book I read the most is the Word. God's word is the most important thing you can ever read. However...I have come across some other books that have added to my knowledge of the Bible, Creation, forgiveness, peace, joy, parenting and truly enjoying my time at home with my children. You may have read some of these books...or maybe you haven't. But I completely recommend each one. They have touched and enriched my life.

The Mother at Home
by John S.C. Abbott

Oh this book truly made the light bulb come on in my head! Although written in the 1800's...it is applicable to any mother. It easily points out how to discipline your children for a pleasant home! He describes how teaching them well when they are young...will develop them into God fearing and obedient children as they grow and ultimately form a well molded adult! :) It explains ways that we, as mothers, fail sometimes...even though we have *good* intentions. It is a wonderful read and if you click on the title...it will take you to a website where you can read the other reviews about it as well! :)

The New Answers Book
by Ken Ham
If you are like me...your mind comes up with question after question about things having to do with Creation (since when I was in school...it was reinforced that our Earth is millions of years old...which is false!). Or maybe unbelievers pose you with questions about creation and you are unsure of how to answer. Well...this is a book for you! It has amazing facts and explanations for sooo many things! Fantastic! And it will just put you into awe how it all works and how glorious and incredible our magnificent Creator is!!!! :)

Lists to Live By: The Christian Collection: For everything that really matters

by Alice Gray, Dr. Steve Stephens, and John Van Diest
This is a fantastic little book of lists. Easy lists to read and remember. Great encouragement and and reminders of how we are to live as Christians...in love, prayer and humility. It is a great read...especially when you like short things you can read at a time! :)

Amish Peace: Simple Wisdom for a Complicated World

by Suzanne Fisher

This is an enjoyable book to read. Alot of us love to see the peace that the Amish seem to carry. But...you don't have to become Amish to have that inner peace. This book explains all that! Jesus is the source for true peace and also living selflessly. This book is full of chapters explaining little things about Amish life that when applied to our own lives, can make a big difference! :)

Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry
by Katrina Kenison

I am not finished reading this book yet...but Mrs. Kenison truly helps one to realize how time with our children is so valuable and so very short when they are young. They grow so quickly and although we can love and enjoy our children when they are adults as well...so many let the younger years of their children's lives just fly by without truly getting to know their kids! It's a truly enjoyable book so far and if you would like more info on it...click the title and the link will take you to a page where you can buy it if you want to...and also read more reviews! :)

The 100 Most Important Bible Verses for Moms
by W Publishing Group

This is a small book...almost in the form of a devotional..that my mother bought me not too long ago. It blesses me to read the short pages in this book. They are full of complete encouragement...reminders to be patient and loving and joyful. They make me smile! This is truly a great read for any mother out there! :)

*******

I have many other books I would like to read as well! I should make a list for myself so I don't forget! ha ;)! With the colder weather setting in....reading will become more prevalent in my home! *Knitting will be happening more too...which I have been doing alot of lately!*

If you have read any of these books...I would love to hear of what you thought about them! If you plan on reading these books...after you do, please come back and share your thoughts about them with me! I would truly love to hear them!

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to stop by and visit with me. I know we are all so busy and I truly appreciate it! I hope you all have a wonderful weekend ahead! :)

11 comments:

  1. I have read the Lists to live by book. I am a huge list person, I have an un natural love for them! So for me, the book was great. I used it as a quiet time book because it caused me to reflect and thnk. It has MANY great quotes and is a quick read, but keep it handy after you read it because you will want to refer to it!
    Be Blessed,
    Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS
    My husband is a huge science guy and has read the Answers book. In fact, it was big in his giving his heart to Christ. I really recommend it as a homeschool science tool as well.
    Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking about how much more I desire to study God's word lately. I just can't seem to learn enough and the more I learn, the more I want to learn - to be amazed each and every day!

    Those look like some great books, Katie. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy~ Just wanted to pop over here for a minute and let you know that I am having a giveaway on my blog in case you might be interested.
    Blessings,Joann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mitten Strings for God: Reflections for Mothers in a Hurry
    by Katrina Kenison

    This is something I'd be interested in reading. Some days I feel I'm so consumed with my own schooling it's as if I have to 'squeeze' in time to relax with my family. Everyone tells me 'you being in school is only temporary.' True, but I do try to make each day special with my family..because I'm afraid of letting these young years pass me by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katy, I haven't read any of those books, but have written them down and will read them. I love the peace of the Amish too, and we do know that only comes from our Lord and Saviour, Jesus! Thanks for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm I've never read any of those I'm adding them to my list of must reads. Thanks for sharing them. Hope you have a great weekend. Blessings,Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to say "Hi" and tell you that I love your site :) I recently started my own blog and look forward to getting to know fellow Christians and Homemakers :) God Bless You,
    Candi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops I almost forgot to leave you my link...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always look for a good book to read; thanks for sharing your list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am an avid reader. I seek to read God's word 1st everyday and I enjoy finding those great books out there that encourage me to live out God's word. I usually have several books going at once, to have inspiration for the needs at the moment. I really want to read "The Mother At Home" since you posted that quote the other day. Mitten string for God has my interest too b/c I always feels so busy and even though I am with my little ones daily, mothering, teaching and keeping house... I want to stop more and enjoy them. I often say I know I am home but I want to spend "TIME" with my kids, peaceful, meaningful time.
    Creation is my joy so I will love learning from the Answer book.
    I am also a list maker too so I know I would love the list book.
    My heart calls out for God's peace and I could learn from the Amish and the peace they live in. So it looks like all these books will be on my book list to read this winter. Smiles, Angelia

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy