Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Homemade Artisan Bread

My mother found a great recipe for bread in a Mother Earth News magazine. She told me about it and I was eager to try it...so she graciously also bought me a copy of the magazine with the recipe in it!

If you would like the recipe yourself...and don't have the magazine...you can go HERE. Pages 2-4 of that link give you the ingredients and recipe instructions! The ingredients are super basic and there is no kneading!!! YAY!

So, I mixed my ingredients together and let it sit for a couple hours. Well...silly me...this bowl I used below ended up being too small and the dough rose up over the edges! *oops!*

So...I had to transfer the dough to a bigger bowl.....

Then I made a pizza peel using a cookie sheet and put corn meal on it to keep the dough from sticking. I followed the instructions for shaping it...although it didn't turn out as perfectly as I hoped because no matter how much I tried (flour etc.)...I couldn't stop the dough from sticking to me too much while trying to shape.

After letting it sit for a time specified and then cutting slits in it (to allow the dough to expand) and baking it on a baking stone....this is the result:

It tastes wonderful AND...I have dough in the fridge to make at least 4 more loaves *and it stays good for up to two weeks in the fridge!*.
I am so thrilled for this recipe. I look forward to perfecting my technique as I continue making these!! If you have or *do* try this recipe...please let me know what you thought about it! I can see this easily becoming a favorite in our home! :)

13 comments:

  1. Oh yes.. THAT was what I was going to do before I started going online and looking at everyone's blog.... *rofl*

    Thanks for reminding me.. I ehmm.. sort of.. actually forgot ;)

    Greetings from the netherlands!

    p.s. Doesn't that bread just taste THE BEST ever?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try that, looks simple enough and SOoooo Yummmy:)Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you don't have to kneed this bread. I will add this to my to try list.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I've made it.. in fact have some in the fridge right now.. planning on making pizza with some tonight..
    I oil my hands to keep the dough from sticking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love that bread to! It's a family favorite around here! (We got it from Mother Earth News as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! The shape of your bread is perfect, like something in a bakery. can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katy,
    I spray a little cooking spray on my hands before working dough. This works great. I am going to try that recipe this weekend. Thanks for sharing!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh...this looks like another great recipe. I just made your soft pretzel recipe today and I've posted a picture of the batch on my blog. Thank you for the inspiration and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh- that looks wonderful, Katy! Now that the weather is cooling off and I have more time indoors, I really want to start baking more loaves of bread and getting more comfortable with the process. Yours looks delicious, and I may have to make that recipe the very first one I try!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love homemade bread so I'll be giving this a try too. Thanks for sharing Katy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum Yummy

    I love the smell of fresh baked bread but I love eating it more. ;)

    I had no idea bread dough was able to be kept in the fridge. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Try their cinnamon rolls with the dough.. boy are they ever good.. I made some this morning and blogged about them.. now I want to try mixing up the whole wheat dough.. bet its good too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Katy!! I will be trying this recipe probably next week sometime!! I plan on using wheat flour instead of white.I`ll be sure to let you know how it turns out!! Thanks so muh for sharing the recipe with us!! The magazine looks really interesting as well!!!
    Hope you have a blessed weekend!!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy