Wednesday, July 29, 2009

If I wasn't sitting here typing this.....


.....I'd be doing a jig! As you snicker to yourself and think I am crazy...let me explain why! ;o) I just finished up getting all our homeschooling objectives written down. Now all I need to do is type it, print it and then get my affidavit notarized and then take it all to the school! Yippee!!!! I am not sure about the laws in other states...but here in PA, you have to have this stuff in by August 1st. Well....*teehee* (I blush as I write this) I sorta forgot about having to get this all in. Thankfully, another homeschooling mama and I were talking last night during my break at VBS Sports camp and she mentioned it! I about fell over! Whew! I am so so glad she reminded me! So I am happy I have the hardest part done...which is getting it all written out! YAY!!!

AND....thank you all so much for your input and such on my previous post about curriculums! I finally ordered everything last night! I just decided that the choices were never going to get easier and I just needed to make a decision and trust that God would be leading me the right way for the curriculums I chose for each child.

For Xavier, I got the My Father's World Kgarten curriculum. I like the pace of it for him and I think it will be a good thing to start out with. I just got the "complete" package...not the deluxe. :) Also....so far...since this is only my second year homeschooling...I don't get a bunch of different curric. and pick and choose. Like using one for math and another for language etc. I just buy the whole bundle so I know I am getting the right stuff. I supplement more in with workbooks I pick up at teacher's store etc. But for now...I am still getting familiar with the different curric. :)


For Madelyn, I decided on the Abeka 2nd grade kit. I just got the child kit. They also have a parent kit that has lesson plans and such...but it is another $100! I think I will be good at making up my own lesson plans. That way I can go at Madelyn's pace...not the book's. :)

I had been looking at Christian Light Education materials for Madelyn. Everything looked like it would be really good. But because it is from a Mennonite company...of which I have nothing against...I was a little wary because I do not agree with all of the beliefs that they have. I was not sure if or how any of their doctrine would be incorporated so I wasn't sure about it. But I must admit...it does look like a super curriculum! :) Has anyone ever tried it before?

Well, off I go...I have lots to get done today before I need to head to VBS sports camp again tonight. Hope you are all having a fantastic week!!!!! :o)

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it great to be ahead of the rush? I have taught the ABEKA program before. It's pretty good, but I was thrilled when I was able to make my own curriculum for my classes. I didn't homeschool but taught pre-K. I absolutely adored my job, but decided to retire (after almost 17 years!) right before my grandaughter was born.

    I'm sure you add a lot of your own fun to whatever you are doing. I was grateful that the church I worked for trusted me enough to allow me to teach whatever I wanted. So everything was Bible-based.

    We had children from all walks of life, from rich to poor, from Christian to non-Christian. I felt it was important for these children to learn about God and how to apply what they learned to their own life.

    This Bible verse has always been a strong influence on what I taught....

    "Even a child is known by his doings, wether his work be pure, and whether it be right." Proverbs 20:11

    Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katy!
    I'm excited that you're getting everything together for your second year of SCHOOL!

    Hope your vbs is going well!
    Tomorrow night is our program. When is yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! We use k 12 curriculum for our children. Right now I'm in the process of writing our daily schedule down. I needed the reminder to GET IT DONE! Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's wonderful you homeschool. :) Congrats on getting everything ready to turn in.

    I saw the cutes ME school stuff to decorate your school room at Michaels. I didn't buy it since I don't know what you need. They had CUTTTTTTTTTTTTE bulletin border and all sorts of things like boys and girls bathroom hallpasses. (Which of course I know you don't need but would be super cute decorations!) LOL

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you know we are doing the virtual academy thing with Aryanna this year. The use K-12 (like your friend mentioned) I'm super excited!!! She starts Aug 17th. Josh spent all week setting up her desk and chair. I think he is more excited than I am! HAHA

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy