Friday, July 24, 2009

Green Beans & Grape Jelly

Yummmmmy! Last night for supper...we had these green beans with the roast I made. Oh my goodness...they were fantastic. (Of course they were snapped before I cooked them!) There is nothing like fresh, homegrown fruits and veggies! I am so thankful for the abundance! :) I just boiled them for a super long time...and they came out perfect!

Also, yesterday, I tried my hand at making grape jelly. I have never done it before...so I got out the recipe from the SurJel box and set to making it...using canned grape juice my MIL had made from her fresh grapes she has growing at her house!

Instead of canning it....my MIL shared this trick with me....you turn them over for at least 10 minutes after filling and sealing them. I waited about half an hour and then flipped them back over...and voila...they sealed! :)

It seems to have turned out fantastic! I haven't tried any yet...but they seemed to have jelled well in the jars so I think they will be good! And you can't beat juice from homegrown grapes either! ;o)


And, while I was stirring the grape juice with the surjel and then later the sugar...(you have to stir constantly)...Xavier took my camera (without permission....little stinkpot) and snapped this pic of Ruthie....

I was none too thrilled....however the picture did turn out cute of her. Look at her...doesn't she live such a hard life? ;)

I woke up in the wee hours this morning with a charlie horse in my calf. It is still pretty tender. I am fighting a bit of a sore throat too...and a smidge of a headache. I don't mean to complain...but goodness...I feel like I am falling apart today! I have lots to do...but hopefully some relaxing will be squeezed in...where I can read or knit....or maybe read with the kiddies! :)

Hope you all have an enjoyable day and weekend! Thank you for dropping by! :o)

14 comments:

  1. MMMM sure does look good!! Hope you feel better! Never tried it, but they say bar soap on top of a charlie horse works well,stange huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better. Perhaps a nap will fix you up. :)
    Or maybe some of that yummy jelly on some homemade bread!!

    All I know is I wish I was sitting at your dining room table right about now. heeheehee

    Got your letter yesterday night..mailing you today.

    TTYL Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy--that jelly looks so good. I didn't know you could just turn it upside down--cool. I'll bet that saved a lot of time.

    Hope you feel better soon. Have a great weekend. Take care. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our beans didn't do too well this year...we only got about one pot..we are going to try again this fall as we have two seasons....we are swimming in tomatoes though...your jelly looks good and I am sure be delicious.....apple juice makes nice jelly too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love homemade jam. I don't ever buy it at the store anymore. Our grapes won't be ready til late August or September. I make strawberry, blackberry, peach and grape. Lots of it too:) I just did 53 qts of green beans. I told hubby we weren't going to eat any right now. I don't want to look at a green bean!
    I love the country life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what else is really good? Fresh grean beans fried with cut-up bacon. SOOO good!
    Great job on the jelly. I tried to make jelly once and ended up using it as syrup. I should give it a try again, you've inspired me ;)
    And oh yeah, my kids like to try to sneak off with my camera too. I'll find it and see all kinds of interesting pictures on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You inspire me with all this canning:)!! hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. delich!
    HOpe you feel better soon..
    hugs and prayers,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love fresh veggies too! Your jelly looks great! My mama used to do that too!
    I hate to have charlie horses in my legs and I get them pretty often. I eat bananas and drink enough liquids, but I still get them. They are so painful! I hope your calf feels better soon.
    And have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just came from the garden with a big bowl full of green beans. I also made blueberry jam yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your jelly looks so yummy. I have never tried it with grape juice.
    I use frozen strawberries.
    I enjoyed reading your blog.
    I love green beans cooked in bacon.
    Hope to stop by again.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those green beans look delicious. Yummmm grape jelly! What a great treat for all year. Love the picture of the pup.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your canning! That will really be a treat this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was only thinking of you this morning and canning :D

    We have loads of citrus at the moment so have been thinking of making marmalade.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy