Friday, February 1, 2008

Proverbs~A Guide To Successful Living in Christ ~Chapter 1

Aren't the proverbs GREAT?? I love them! They get right to the point and tell you how to live. I decided to start reading the book of Proverbs and taking notes and really understanding it. I have a women's study bible and it wrote that it was a guide to successful living...and I realized how really true that is!

Proverbs 1:7 ~ "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

I used to think "fear" meant to be afraid of God and his wrath. It gave me a scared sense of who he was. It always confused me when I would read we were to fear the Lord. He wants us to be scared of him?? Nooo.... :) The word fear is best understood as a "submissive spirit of obedience". Fearing the Lord is essential and the start to our becoming of women of wisdom.

Wisdom is a term used a lot in Proverbs. There is even a chapter (that I plan on blogging about) that "Wisdom" is speaking.

A great quote from the side notes of my bible says: "Be wise and avoid being enticed by sinners. The path of evil, though appearing attractive, ultimately leads to destruction."

We should constantly and consistently be seeking knowledge and wisdom. This will help our journey in Christ. We should fear (submissively obedient) God and listen to and apply the counsel of the wise. Don't let pride or arrogance get in the way of wisdom. Whoever listens to wisdom will live safely and securely without fear of evil.

**Thanks so much for all the sweet comments I have been recieving on my posts. I feel truly blessed for the women I have met online and become friends with. I hope you all have a fantastic day! :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so glad you are going to read Proverbs and really study it...I am reading it, too! I look forward to any of your future posts on your studies of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love Proverbs, too. I am reading a book to my children called Proverbs and the Millers. It teaches a daily lesson from Proverbs with a short story.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love your blog look, too.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly enjoy all the wisdom in Proverbs. I made it a point last year to read one daily. That has been life changing. I look forward to your future studies.

    Blessings & joy,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post! I will definitely be following along :-)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy