Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Homemaking: Juicing Tomatoes

One important part of homemaking is preparing food for your family, as frugally as possible. It is usually much healthier, from scratch, as well. Making and canning things for the winter is a good way to do this! :)


Tomatoes from our garden are ready...some were not usable because they got over-taken by the blight. Some family and friends, however, had an abundance of tomatoes and shared them with us! So ours plus theirs gave us a good supply to start with!

My Mother-in-Love and I plan on making spaghetti sauce and canning it! Tonight we worked, for a few hours, cutting and cooking, squishing and juicing tomatoes! I must admit, I don't *like* tomatoes....but I *do* like sauces, ketchup and tomato soup. ;)

Daddy showing the boys how it's done...

The children were a great help for a while!



They each loved taking turns using the juicer...although it became my official *job* during the evening, as the children eventually tuckered out of tomato-juicing and went outside to play in the dirt! ;)

Xavier wanted to wear bags on his hands to keep them from getting *icky*...it lasted a whole 3.5 seconds and he realized they were more of a nuisance than a help! ;)

It was busy work...and tiring after another long and busy day, today. But it was nice to all be together and talk and laugh. :) We will be making the juice into sauce by adding some ingredients from a recipe my SIL gave to us, from *her* grandma! I have never made or canned sauce before...so this all is a first for me. It's great learning something new! **I always love to find ways to care for my family!**

Oh, oh! *Annnd...our next couple rows of corn are ready. We will be busy, again, picking, shucking and cutting them off the cobs. We will probably plan on freezing the next few batches. :) I am so very thankful for everything the Lord has provided...I just pray He provides me with enough energy to get them all canned/stored for winter! ;)

Well, everyone is tucked in, after a nice, warm bath. Now it's time for me to slip inside the covers, as well. I have been reading "In the Presence of My Enemies" by Gracia Burnham...about missionaries who were captured and held for over a year. A true story that makes you so thankful for what you have and helps put the minor discomforts we may suffer with, in perspective. I may slip in a few pages of that before drifting off to sleep. Time in prayer would be a nice way to end the day, as well.

Warm hugs to you! Thanks for stopping by to visit me!
Katy :)




The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee,
and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

11 comments:

  1. this is really cool! i make tomotoe sauce at least once a week. from scratch for me involves organic canned tomatoe chunky puree, fresh onions, garlic, ground beef, bay leaf, italian seasoning and a little sugar. and lots of love. my dad taught me as i would watch him make it. i love the plastic bag gloves. your daughter is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little red jewels are ready to be picked. I like to eat them with onions itilan dressing & the fresh basil I grew. They are tasty. I would like to make my own sauce & ketchup. I will have to plant more plants next year. God sure has blessed your garden with a wonderful harvest. Blessings to you & yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no wonder i couldn't get a hold of you last night...

    here is a link for you: http://research-writing-techniques.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_use_the_comma

    LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so yummy! I love all the things you do! Thanks for always sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice to have the whole family connected canning....I have a much easier way to juice though..just get a food mill...makes it go so much easier.....think I've canned 40 or more quarts of juice, whole tomatoes, puree and soup this year...have some green tomatoes left so am making pickles....yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the pictures on the tomato sauce... It was a true family affair and this is always warming to the heart!
    Farmer
    www.farmer-rosehillfarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks like lots of fun for all to be had. Glad you had this time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing! As a single, young woman in my 20's I have been thinking about learning some of these things now before I get married and have children, so thank you for encouraging and teaching me! Titus 2 in action! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so jealous of those tomatoes! Ours are really slow to come on this year! Your helpers are so cute! Trust me - in a few years they will be some real help. Mine are now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy,

    Mind sharing the recipe? I've been using the same on for years and I'd like to try something different.

    Julie B

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so yummy!
    Pretty work in family.Blessings

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy