Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday *Smiles*

"It's Friday! Have a whistling, singing, merry sort of day as you labor for the Lord, whatever your task: 'Oh, give us the man who sings at his work.' Thomas Carlyle"
~Liz Curtis Higgs


I just love Liz Curtis Higgs. What a joyful, encouraging and sweet woman she is. I love to hear her talk. Have you ever listened to her or read one of her books? She has a heart for the Lord and I whole-heartedly recommend her! :) She left the above quote on twitter and facebook...and when I read it, it made my heart glad and I wanted to share it with you.

My aunt was up earlier this week and the children and I met her, along with my mother, at a sweet little restaurant/petting zoo/mini golf/gift/icecream shop about 10 miles from where I live. Although my mom is still recoop-ing...she is getting better day by day. Her energy is increasing, although ever-so-slightly, by the day, as well. :) We were so glad she was able to join us.
After a delicious lunch...we headed out to see all the animals...


The deer came sprinting out of their little house to greet us. I like to *pretend* that it is because they loved us so much (but in truth, they were hoping for us to pass them in a treat of corn!).

It was very warm out...so we went inside for some icecream...(notice Xavier's extra-big smile? During lunch, he lost one of his top teeth!).

We all had a really nice time, but were all ready to head home then. :) We were so thankful to spend the time with *Grammie* and *Punkin* (the name the children call my aunt).

As I mentioned HERE, yesterday was Xavier's birthday. It had rained in the morning, so things were pretty wet outside. This put a bit of a damper on the children's plans of playing out-of-doors. So, the cure for a rainy day is a *movie*! :) I got out some popcorn boxes (a gift to our family one Christmas) and made some popcorn. I also made some lemonade while Madelyn popped in a movie.



While the children enjoyed their movie, popcorn and lemonade...I was working on canning peaches. :) I still have more to do today, as well as some corn to take off the cob and freeze.

My parents came for supper, last evening. They brought the corn and we supplied the hamburgers. It was a fun meal, complete with sarsaparilla for the littles, which they thoroughly enjoyed! (I had to take X's corn *off* the cob for him, though, because he couldn't eat it on the cob while missing that front tooth!)

Xavier had a lot of fun opening a few gifts. I love that smile! ;)

The days have been really busy...but as you can see, some of it is *enjoyable* busy-ness! :) There is much more that needs done *today*...so I best get going. I hope you have a wonderful Friday and weekend! Remember that Liz Curtis Higgs quote at the top of this post...I can't help but smile when I read it!

Joyfully,
Katy :)

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee,
and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

7 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing your day! looks like so much fun! Your peaches look beautiful, and so do the smiles on the kids faces! Have a happy weekend!
    christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. maddy has 80's hair in the top pic.. it's cute! haha!

    glad X had a nice birthday! guess it was kind of spread out a bit with aunt ginny stopping (ice cream!), then going to get ice cream at buff's/open presents when i was in town on wednesday... and then having grammie and pop-pop over for dinner, etc the next day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can now see much more curl with Maddy's haircut.

    Glad your kids still had a nice time indoors on X's bday. :) I love popcorn containers. We have plastic ones that look old fashioned.

    I had to look up what sarsaparilla was. LOL Root beer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy, your children always seem so happy. It is great how you make things so interesting for them....like the popcorn in the boxes.....just like at the real movies. Kids love that sort of thing.

    And your canned peaches are beautiful! They will be wonderful this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet toothless smile! So glad to hear that your mom's energy is increasing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun time, the kids always look so sweet. Glad to hear your mom is improving. Hope you all have a great weekend too! Blessings,Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to get a closer look at X's missing frount tooth my middle child (a son too) just lost two bottom teeth in the past two weeks and one tooth replaced two lol. I just think they look soooo cute when there teeth are missing. Love M's Hair. Does she fix it her self. It looks very pretty. I will hum a lil tune today! smiles, Angelia in TX

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy