Sunday, August 8, 2010

Building Character...

"The purpose of Christianity is not to avoid difficulty,
but to produce a character adequate to meet it when it comes.
It does not make life easy;
rather it tries to make us great enough for life."
~ James L. Christenson

Hello and thank you for all the kind, comforting comments you each have left over the past few days. The days have been full and busy...but I thought I would stop, quickly, to tell you of the praises I have...as well as the things that continue to need your prayers.

I must say, that I do believe that the trials we go through, daily, are meant to build our character. We each have hundreds of choices to make each day (some more important than others...but all choices, nonetheless). I find that God is molding me, constantly. He gives me trials to endure and the choice of how I will handle them. As we each mature in life, our minds (for most of us) get wiser and we strive to always make the best and careful decisions that we can. The way we choose to, for example, respond to people can show us to be loving and compassionate or uncaring and selfish. The way we choose to talk to our spouse, or our children, friends or even the stranger at the grocery store...all reflect our character.

Although the past few weeks have been difficult, as life can be for *each* of us, I am thankful for the blessings God has brought forth in them and also for shaping and molding me in the process. Everyone who is affected by times of hurt, frustration or pain can look back and see how God was using those times to mold and strengthen their character. I really like the words of Helen Keller...

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experiences of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired and success achieved."

When I get a free moment of quiet during the day, I try to squeeze in a few pages of "Ruth, A portrait" by Patricia Cornwell. It is the story of Ruth Bell Graham. So far I am really enjoying it. Hearing about her parents and her childhood as a young girl and all the things they endured while missionaries in China is inspiring and humbling. The things these people endured so they could share the love of Christ with a hurting world, was amazing. God gave them such amazing strength. I enjoy reading how God molded and shaped Ruth's character over the years! :)

I have a few beautiful praises to share with you, first. My mother is doing well. She is still tired, after all that she has gone through...but her B/P is balanced out now and she is getting her energy back! It is a wonderful answer to prayer! :)

Also, my grandmother, who I mentioned HERE, *did* have a stroke. It was awful. She was unresponsive and the doctors figured she would pass on to her *true* home at any time. They said it could be days or weeks. What saddness filled everyone's hearts. Although she has been suffering with Alzheimer's...none of us were ready to see her go. Slowly though, she started becoming conscious and aware of her surroundings. I went in to visit her on Thursday evening and she knew who I was *Praise God!* and although she did say a few things that didn't make *any* sense...she also said somethings that *did*. :) She has been doing better each day and I believe, is expected to make a full recovery! Can you believe that? Our God can do anything! My grandma has had trouble with her knees for years and years. My dad says that she walks better *now* than she did *before* the stroke! It's just wonderful and I am so, so thankful! Thank you for the prayers you lifted up on behalf of myself and my family!

On a bit of a sadder note, however, the family of a young, dear friend that I mentioned HERE is still grieving...and will do so, perhaps, for a *very* long time. My sister made a short, sweet post about it HERE. Chris and I have prayed and cried off and on and will continue to as we all mourn. All prayers are greatly appreciated...but please, those for his wife, mother and brother are extremely important...thank you, truly. I thank God for dear friends, all over the country (and world) who take the time to pray on the behalf of those they don't even know...it means so much!

Jewels also posted an update about George, from his daughter, Alyson, HERE if you would like to read and continue in prayer for him and his family. Again, thank you!


Days have been busy...so much going on between homeschooling, housework, canning, running errands and reaching out to loved ones who need us. I fall into bed, thanking God for the *comfort* of a soft mattress and pillows. Each night, I am so glad to be able to drift off to sleep. Sometimes my mind runs amuck with the current and not-so-great condition of our nation right now...but I don't let it overwhelm and scare me. I know that ultimately, our God is in control and if we live, each day, the way we are suppose to...helping those around us, living good and righteous lives, praying for others and being honest, hard workers...that He will heal our land. :)

The days are pretty comfortable out...although a few days can get to feeling hot, especially when the children play a lot and I am busy around the home. All three of my children love watermelon and were happy to enjoy one for a snack one weekday afternoon.

Most days we get our schooling done in the morning...but not always. Some times we take things slow, or have appointments in the morning and end up doing some schooling in the afternoon. Some of those hours can be very hot feeling in the schoolroom...so the children get their little desks and take them into the coolness of my bedroom and we do schooling in there! :)


While Madelyn and Xavier are busy in their workbooks...Jaxson makes himself a "clubhouse"...

And...before I go, I must share the exciting news that a certain little guy has learned to ride a 2 wheeler!!!

He does absolutely fantastic and enjoys riding. He rode all over, his face turning bright red and beaded with sweat. Now everyone is bathed and tucked into bed...all is peaceful and quiet. My bed is sweetly calling *my* name as well. Tomorrow holds a long list of responsibilities I need to see to...so I best can a good amount of rest! :)

Again, thank you for all the loving responses to my last post. Your prayers, words and love were such an encouragement to me and I am truly grateful! :)
Kindly,
Katy :)


The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee,
and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.
~Numbers 6:24-26

7 comments:

  1. yea for Jax!! bet he is excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome pic of Jaxson on that *big boy* bike! Wonderful news about your grandmother, I hope she continues to recover as well as she has been and keeping the family of that young man in my thoughts and prayers, it is always so hard to accept the passing of a young one, my heart goes out to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to read that things are getting back to normal for you. I will continue to have your family and loved one in my thoughts and prayers.

    Yeah for Jaxson! They grow up so fast. I have also been busy with summer canning, getting the kids ready for school and lots of housework. We still are continuing to enjoy the last days of summer fun too!

    Nicki in WV

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy, I am so happy to read your post! God is so good! I'm so glad that your Mom & Grandma are doing better.
    And congrats to the little guy for learning to ride his two wheeled bike! That's awesome!
    Have a happy week!
    ~Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. So awesome he's riding a two wheeler! Glad to hear your Mom and grandmother are doing better. I am still praying for your friends. Many blessings to you.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always a blessing to see the smiling faces of the littles. I am a little behind in my reading list. But you have been on my mind and contined prayers are being lifted up to our Lord & Savior.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing post...filled with character and life...both the sad and the happy! I am so glad you dropped by my blog...so that I can find yours! I am following now...feel like you are a friend, already! Character....something so many people forget about....thank you for remembering!
    Rebecca (Moms Mustardseeds)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy