Friday, February 12, 2010

Making Bread

With all this snow and cold temps...one great way to get the house warmed up is to bake some bread! :)

One of my favorite bread recipes is THIS one for Amish White Bread.

When it is time to mix in the flour...although it doesn't say it in the recipe...make sure you mix well after each addition of a cup of flour. :)

And...if your home isn't 70* or above to let your bread rise...I turn on my oven to a low setting and set my bowl (covered with a damp cloth) near the vent thingy at the back of the stove...where some of the heat from the oven vents out.

Then you let the dough double (although mine sure doesn't look doubled in this picture, does it? But it was!)......

Then you divide the dough and put them in greased bread pans. Every time I make bread...I try so hard to get the halves equal....but every time...I end up with one loaf a lil bigger than the other! ;)

After covering them with the damp cloth and letting them rise for half an hour....you put them in a preheated oven for 30 minutes....and then.....

....out comes 2 beautiful loaves of bread!

Honestly...there is no comparison between homemade and store bought bread. Homemade is sooo much better! :) We love it here and I make it often. :) Do you make bread? What are some of your favorite recipes?

**And some people have asked me before if I have a bread machine. I do (it was a gift)...but I have never used it. ;) I prefer to do it by hand!

Well....I gotta run. We have schooling to do and I have some knitting to fix. Yes, fix. :( I goofed up a row and although I have fixed mistakes before....I am having trouble with this one. It's quite frustrating. I pray I can get it fixed soon and easily!

Thanks for stopping by! I truly appreciate it! :) Talk to you soon!

20 comments:

  1. I tried your bread recipe recently. I paired it with beef stew and it was wonderful! I also like to make my bread by hand. There is just something about kneading the dough that is calming.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the exact recipe I use! Mine doesn't seem to rise as well as yours, however. It is also good with 2 cups of wheat flour substituted for 2 cups of white. I do mine by hand--the bread machine makes it too packy.
    PS I learned to knit last weekend! Currently working on a scarf...may put pics up if I am brave! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have a bread machine that I have NEVER used. Bread looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bread looks wonderful..I can almost smell it! And the snow...so cozy from inside a warm, smelling like fresh bread from the oven house:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a bread machine that was gift also but I too have never used it! LOL I just love the whole kneading process! Stay snug! Oh, your giveaway giftie went in the mail yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bread sounds wonderful! That is one way to try to beat the winter blues. Thank you for sharing it with us! ~Dan~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Years ago I had a bread machine and the bread did not turn out well. For the past few months I've been making bread from a starter someone gave me. I am going to try yours, though. It looks easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm... Would this work with whole wheat+ bread flour? We have started "the kind life" and this recipe looks good. (well, all but the white flour)
    I used to love making bread but would "lose it" if my dough would sink from the littles bouncing around the house. Needless to say I've hung up my loaf pans for a while! :)
    Great Job! Looks Tasty...

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOU TRULY ARE A KEEPER OF THE HOME. THE BREAD LOOKS GOOD ENOUGH TO EAT.LOL...BLESSINGS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YOU TRULY ARE A KEEPER OF THE HOME. THE BREAD LOOKS GOOD ENOUGH TO EAT.LOL...BLESSINGS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful bread! I love bread making myself...Amish Brown bread is my favorite!!

    ~Mrs. M

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love homemade bread. I'm going to have to try a recipe other than the frozen dough I'm use to. :) (Semi-homemade is good too but I know fully homemade is better!)

    Have a Happy Valentines weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been wanting to make bread so thanks for the recipe;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Katy, thanks for passing by Far Above Rubies. I agree Homeschooling is one of the best things we can do for our children.

    Thank you so very much for taking the time to make a comment.

    We love comments!!! :)))

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, I'll have a slice toasted with jelly. Good post makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bread looks delich..I love hot bread and butter..yummmmmmers..
    hope you fix the mistake..
    have a lovely weekend..Stay warm..
    hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours!
    Love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Katy,
    There is nothing better than homemade bread!

    Love your chalkboard and the saying you wrote on it.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog. In regard to the Chalkink Markers, they are the best thing since sliced bread. Once they are dry, then do not smear and the colors are very vivid. To remove them you have to can either use window cleaner or a wet paper towel. Some times it comes off easy, other times it takes a little work, but it does come off. You'll have to check out their website...
    Click here to go to the Chalk Ink website They have a wonderful selection of colors, but I have found them at Michael's and have bought them on Amazon.com

    Take care,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for sharing your bread baking technique, Katy! Your bread loaves look so yummy I'm going to have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Seriously...if Amelia Kate got wind that y'all have snow...she would be on your front porch in 2.5 seconds. There ain't NOTHING like fresh bread... And I never use my machine either. I have always loved kneading my dough...I think it's cathartic! ;o)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy