Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Thank-You Notes


A friend and I were talking the other day about the lost art known as *thank-you* notes. He was thanking me for sending him and his wife a thank-you (They were the ones who gave us the armoire that I posted about HERE)! I told him that he wasn't suppose to thank *me* for a thank-you note! The thank-yous would never end if we continually thanked each other for the thank-you! ;)  He commented that he and his wife value getting thank-you notes and send them as well. He noted how it seems to be a lost form of etiquette nowadays. I agreed.

It's terribly unfortunate that a simple act of gratitude often gets skipped. Why is that?

Occasionally, I will still receive a thank-you note in the mail for a wedding gift or baby shower gift that was given (but even those don't always happen!?). Of course, I don't give the gift in order to *get* a thank-you...but when one isn't received, it does seem a bit rude. I feel like manners have just flown out the window sometimes! My mama taught me the importance of writing thank-you notes when I was growing up...and it is something I have continued and tried to teach my children as well.


I know postage can get pretty pricey...but I think it is best when a thank-you is sent in the mail. Handing it to the person (just to save postage) seems cheap...especially when you are trying to sincerely thank someone for something they bought, made or did for you. I think it seems to say that whatever that person gave or did for you wasn't worth that stamp. The point of a thank-you note is to show gratitude to someone for their kindness. It's *worth* the stamp it takes to mail it. If you are unsure of the address of the intended recipient, don't just thank them on social media or email...find their address out...even if you have to ask them directly.



Something else I believe is important when writing a thank-you note is taking the time to write neatly. Nothing screams ingratitude more than a sloppy, I-wrote-this-in-five-seconds-flat thank-you note! Whatever kindness the person showed you, it deserves a decent amount of effort put into thanking them. **Keep neatness in mind when addressing the envelope and putting on the stamp too! Appearance matters when you are sending a thank-you!

Keep track of what gifts you are given. For instance, at Christmas, keep a list of the gifts you (and the rest of your family) are given and from whom. That way, after the season has quieted down, you and/or the children can sit down and prepare some thank-you notes. If you keep track of the gifts you are given then you can be specific in your thank-you note. This shows that you truly *do* appreciate whatever kindness was given/shown to you (and not just some generic "thanks").


You can find an etiquette guide on writing thank-you notes HERE. Do you write thank-you notes? Why or why not? If you don't already, I encourage you to start...and make sure you are teaching your children to do so. Having a humble, thankful heart is part of your witness as a follower of Christ.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this! :)
Kindly,
Katy

Linked to: Titus 2 Tuesdays

13 comments:

  1. Funny you write about this at this point in time. i am in the process of writing personal thank you notes for people that came to my daddy's wake and funeral and that gave money or flowers or other. it is truly a lost art the art of writing thank yous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post. I am one who has neglected this, just out of busy-ness. I hate being so busy. I also have neglected to send out Christmas cards the last 3 years. I'm going to try to be sure I send out thank you notes from now on. I think it's a nice idea! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy- I was blessed by you with a thank you note a few years back and still cherish it to this day. I love hand written notes of any kind. It sure is a lost art. I try to send handwritten notes to my friends but have been horrible about doing it this past year or so...need to get back in to it :) great post blessings joann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing, in general, is becoming a lost art. I miss the days of getting a sweet little note in my mailbox and sitting down to write a reply. I do write Thank You notes and always made my children write them, but now with my grandchildren, they just don't get it. By the way, I also say Yes Ma'am, Yes Sir, Please and Thank you! LoL That is also becoming a lost art...manners!

    Grace & Peace

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, they are very important!
    I send them!
    My penmanship leaves a lot to be desired, but I am trying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sad that thank you cards are becoming a lost art. Megan might moan and groan when I have her sit down and write thank you notes, but someday she will be glad I did.

    I find it annoying when the only thank you I receive is through a post on FB where a million people are tagged and thanked for coming to a party and for the gifts. If you must do it through FB at least take the time to write on each individuals wall.

    It seems that written invitations are becoming a thing of the past also. I get most birthday party and shower invites through FB. In my opinion it feels lazy and certainly not personal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Wendi! There is nothing worse than receiving a thank you over FB! I liken it to getting a Dear John text! Rude!

      Grace & Peace

      Delete
    2. Another reason I don't do FaceBook.
      Blessings,
      Mrs.B

      Delete
  7. This is I great post and I Thank You for it. I always send Thank You notes for gifts or kindnesses shown. I also do not give expecting a Thank You, but it is nice when people express their gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I miss the hand written note (of any kind) and have resolved to do more of this in the coming year. I think of the newly divorced mom needing a lift, a friend miles away you are missing, the grandfather that attends every event a child participates in. There are so many occasions to drop a hand written note or letter. It is surely a shame that it is not done more often. I remember receiving letters in the mail (before technology) and how excited I would get. I would keep that card or letter and read it and reread it until the ink was wearing off the page. I look forward to lifting others with my notes this year...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel it is the least I can do to thank some one with a special personalized thank you note. I always send them. My mother and both grandmothers thought it was "a good thing"! So my sisters and I always send them. Now, my daughter and granddaughter do, too. Glad you are teaching your children good manners, Katy. God bless........

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still send them too. I had a proud Mother moment - when our preacher did an act of kindness for my then 16 year old daughter and a couple of days later told me how thoughtful it was that she sent him a thank you note. I was going to remind her to send one and she had done it all on her own! :)

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Katy,

    I always send thank you notes. As a matter of fact, your post has reminded me that I missed one last week when sending them out for Christmas.
    I also teach my children to send them. Of the five, the 3 oldest boys are grown and it saddens me that only 1 of the grown boys consistently sends thank you notes. But, the youngest 2, who are still at home, sends them regularly, thanks to mom.

    Gotta go ... I've one more thank you note to write ...

    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy