Friday, March 14, 2014

The Beauty of God's Discipline

God disciplines those He loves. I know I am His and have experienced this discipline. I want to tell you about it. You can also hear an absolutely beautiful sermon about the Father's discipline by Alistair Begg HERE

I have mentioned previously that our van was getting up there in age and we were ready for something newer, lower miles and in good condition. We have been looking but not did not find anything we were really sold on. (I thought the search would just go on and on!). Then while looking at local dealers' websites a chat box popped up and a girl asked if she could help me find anything. I told her some specifics of what we would want and gave her my email to let me know if they have anything that meets our specifics. The next day I get a phone call (I hadn't given her my phone number) and it was an old friend from high school (we graduated together). He had recognized my email and decided to give me a call since he worked for that dealership. 
We talked a few minutes and he informed me that they just had a Honda Pilot come in with seemingly everything we wanted (including price). He emailed me photos and Chris and I talked and looked up reviews. We agreed to go up Thursday night (after Chris was off work) to look at it. Chris told me though that in no uncertain terms...we were *NOT* coming home with a vehicle that night. We were coming home to pray and think it over first. I agreed. 
So we go and the Pilot is quite nice (I was excited that it had a moonroof which I had not been aware of before!). We took it for a test drive and came back and then Josh (the guy I graduated with) crunched numbers for us. We were there a couple hours. It was nice catching up with Josh as well. The numbers he came back with really seemed reasonable (great, actually) and I *tried* to contain my excitement. I was so nervous though that someone would stop in and buy it before we could pray and come back to get it. 
So I just sat there, on the edge of my seat, nervous and hoping we could get it. Chris said we would go home to pray about it (he kept quite calm but he really liked the Pilot too...and the numbers we were given). Josh told us if we put down $100, we could hold the vehicle and go home and pray on it. I agreed. Chris agreed...I think, because I agreed. (I think I was a little too over zealous at that point...but I digress...). So, Chris and I went and had supper and I thanked him *and apologized for being overly-eager*. We stopped at my parents' house to pick up the children and then came home. I went into my files and found the Jeep's title...but *not* the van's title!!! We planned on trading it in and everything depended on that! I started to panic. We sent the children to bed and spent hours searching through other files and papers and anything we could think of. I was sad, crying, angry, frustrated and upset. I was *quite* the grump. I stormed around, terribly sick of going through papers and completely confused as to why the title wasn't exactly where it was suppose to be!? 

So I was nauseous and just had to end up going to bed. I prayed and felt so terrible for my grumpy (sinful) attitude and asked for forgiveness. I also asked the Lord to please help us to find that title. I woke at 5 am...after less than 5 hours of sleep (which is not good for me...I am one of those types who truly requires at least 8!). Ruthie (the dog) was whining at my side of the bed. I had a burning creak in my neck and tried to go back to sleep but Ruth was not relenting. So I rolled out of bed, said another silent prayer and turned on my bedside lamp. I wandered over to my dresser and just looked around (aimlessly....ridiculously hoping to find the title)...and beside my dresser I had a box with some pictures in it and other odds and ends. A small box that really should be dealt with and organized (but one of those projects I always put off). Low and behold, I picked up some pictures and there laying in front of me was the title to the van! My heart lifted and I seriously began rejoicing and praising God. 

I thanked Him for leading me to that title (I mean, what an absolutely random/odd place for it to be!) and praised Him for disciplining me through this (the guilt I had for my unkind behavior, the nauseous stomach, the creak in my neck/bad sleep). I deserved discipline and I know that God loves those He disciplines...which made my heart soar even more!

My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline or be weary of His reproof, for the Lord reproves him who He loves, as a father the son in whom he delights. 
~Proverbs 3: 11-12


So...*all* of that to say that there is a beauty in God's discipline. The beauty is in knowing that He only disciplines those He loves. I wish I had handled this situation better....I am learning and growing every day. I am so very far from perfect and I am so thankful my Lord loves me and teaches me. 

Here are some photos of the new-to-us vehicle that the Lord blessed us with: 







I like the *fun* stuff of the car...you know, the moon roof, leather seats, 4WD, 3rd row seating and the like. My dad and Chris like looking under the hood! ;)


We are so thankful for this and that we were able to work with an old friend and get him a sale at his dealership. I an even more thankful that this experience has taught me much and helped my character to grow more toward holiness (even though I have such a long way to go).

Thank you for sharing in my excitement of the blessing of a new vehicle as well as taking the time to read what I wrote in truth and openness. Admitting your wretchedness is not fun, nor popular. However, it does make much of Christ...and less of me.

He must increase, but I must decrease.
~ John 3:30

In Christ, 
Katy :)
It's all about Jesus Christ being first....
and second and third and fourth and fifth. 
 What I'm saying is, don't put Jesus first. 
 Jesus is everything.
 He's not just first in the rank,
 He is everything.
 ~Paul Washer

9 comments:

  1. Katy,

    Thanks for sharing this story. This has happened to me before and I have learned from it. I even tell my kids to pray first before you get angry about not finding something. God always helps me find my lost treasures. Praise God!

    We have had a Honda Pilot since 2003. It has been an excellent car for us. Honda's are very reliable. We have owned 4 so far. We also own a Honda CRV. We travel all over the U.S. in our Pilot.

    God Bless,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. i needed to read this tonight! my husband and a friend who knows a lot about cars actually went to look at a car today for us! (a car that i was REALLY excited about and just KNEW that God had led us to it). anyway, when i got the call from my husband that it was not good and he didnt feel that we should get it, i did not react well. i cried and cried after i hung up the phone. i got angry and questioned God. i really believed that he had led us to that car! anyway, i needed to read your post tonight. thank you! my husband actually saw another car on the ride home from the first one they looked at and he is going to go look at it tomorrow morning. so you never know... thanks again for your encouragement, lora

    ReplyDelete
  3. It isn't easy admitting our short comings to the Lord ... but oh so liberating knowing He loves us unconditionally... forgiving all ... when we confess those short comings. I don't know how one gets through life without Him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. perhaps the answer to your prayers was sweeter due to the wait?
    we all must continue to learn, me esp!
    hope it gives you many years of safety, good service, and many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful Katy, I'm really happy for you. God's been disciplining me, too, lately. I don't like it one bit, but I know you're right about Him increasing and me decreasing.
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy,
    I'm so happy for you and your family!!! You are an amazing lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Katy, I also have had a time of correction from the Lord! Yet our Father does love to give us good gifts. May this van be a vehicle that runs for years...
    Loved this so much, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Discipline from the Lord is something most of us never seek - BUT, praise be to Him that He lovingly corrects us, thus bringing us back into unhindered fellowship with Him. Thank you for being so candid and honest with us, your faithful readers.
    Congratulations on the "new" vehicle. I had to chuckle to myself when you referred to the 4-wheel drive as a "fun" accessory on your car. Up here on the Montana plains, 4-wheel drive is a winter & spring time necessity. (deep snow in the winter and boggy mud in the spring). I'd be homebound 6 months out of the year without it.
    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy