Friday, January 10, 2014

"The shortest day has passed....

...and whatever nastiness of weather we may look forward to in January and February, at least we notice that the days are getting longer. Minute by minute they lengthen out. It takes some weeks before we become aware of the change. It is imperceptible even as the growth of a child, as you watch it day by day, until the moment comes when with a start of delighted surprise we realize that we can stay out of doors in a twilight lasting for another quarter of a precious hour."
~ Vita Sackville-West

Due to an "equipment malfunction" with our electric company this past Tuesday, we lost our electric in the wee hours. Here in PA that day showed temps (with wind chill) to -30*! It got a little chilly in the house but thankfully, the electric wasn't out too long! Chris and I were the only ones awake that early and I enjoyed the time with the oil lamps and candles lit throughout our home!



The boys decided to dress alike one day before we started our schoolwork...(it made me smile!)...



Cash...


Around the house a bit...





"Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour." 
-  John Boswell
I hope the start to your new year is going well. I pray that Christ is first in your life, always. I am staying quite busy here...homeschooling, home-keeping (and home-making), cooking, feeding the wood stove and tending to other responsibilities I have. :) I'm sure you are quite busy too...thank you for taking the time to stop by! 

I leave you today with this beautiful thought from Charles Spurgeon...

"If Christ be glorious, it is all the heaven I ask for. If he shall be King of kings, and 
Lord of lords, let me be nothing, if he shall but reign, and every tongue shall call him 
blessed, it shall be bliss to me to know it; and if I may be but as one of the withered 
roses which lie in the path of his triumph, it shall be my paradise."

Kindly,
Katy

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your day and the lovely quotes!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely post!
    a beautiful quote.
    have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds lovely. So glad your electric came on quickly. Blessings, Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog have been following it for years.. I wonder where you found the lovely chicken wire placemats? And.. did you make your kitchen sink skirt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea! Thank you for your sweet comment! Honestly, I don't remember where I got those placemats....I am thinking they may have been a gift from someone! And yes, I made my kitchen sink skirt!! :) Have a great day!

      Delete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy