Friday, January 3, 2014

A New Year & Trim Healthy Mama


I got to ring in 2014 with these sweet faces (and my husband's too!)...although I guess saying that finds me not totally telling the truth...as I (embarrassingly) didn't even make it until 9pm before I retired to my fleece sheets and quilts! Chris and the children stayed up a little past that but when I woke early January 1st...they were all sprawled out everywhere in the living room...snoozing away!

Before I headed to bed, though, I *did* manage to take a few pictures (we were watching The Hobbit **for the umpteenth time...we really need to get the extended version of it!**)...

Xavier and Ruthie...


Madelyn and Jaxson...


Usually, Ruthie is *my* sidekick...but I loved seeing her snuggled up with X...



With a new year now here, many begin a formal "diet" plan or trying to fulfill a resolution. Not me...as most of you know I have already lost a good chunk of weight over the past 18 months. Unfortunately, I had stalled. I love AboveRubies.org and had heard a lot about Trim Healthy Mama ...although funds were not in abundance, after talking with Chris about it, he told me I should order it (isn't he great!?)!

 I started implementing the plan mid-December, I think. I don't like to "wait" until a certain date to begin something. I don't want to "eat all junk food in sight and start next week". When I set my mind to something I like to do it *right now*. ;) I haven't been eating junk for over a year now (and had already decided to implement more whole foods anyway) so transitioning to their plan wasn't difficult for me! It had some "strange" ingredients at first...things I hadn't heard of..but as I read into them more, I found they weren't that strange at all...what *is* strange is all the horrible things they put in processed foods (the more things I read everywhere ~ the more convinced I am that whole foods is the way to go)! It has refreshed me to eat this way and I am looking forward to continuing it! Plus, I already exercise a lot so I had that part down! :o) 

Some of the things you buy can be a bit pricey...but I truly feel that if feeding my family (and my body) this way honors God and takes care of us, that He will make sure that we can afford it. I will do the best I can with what we can afford. Luckily, for me, my family has liked what I have served up to them so far (although some of the things I have made are single serving and I go the whole-wheat route for the rest of my family). If you notice in the picture above, I have my book well tabbed! There are actually tabs there that you can't even see in this picture! :)


Above, my first ever coconut flour pancakes (thus why they are not uber-pretty). They tasted like french toast!! They are topped with sugar free syrup! Deeeelicious! I have the recipe written down from the facebook group but can't find the recipe on pinterest or anywhere to give credit to who came up with it...but it is good and healthy:

3 eggs, beaten
3 T. coconut flour
3 T. coconut oil
1 T. water
1/4 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
Sprinkle of NuStevia (I don't have this so I didn't use it)

Mix and cook! Makes three pancakes!

S ~ Golden Flat Bread, pg. 270
(Not my favorite...but works when you need bread)

S ~ Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies, pg. 387
(again, my first batch so they weren't the prettiest!)

S ~ Creamy Broccoli and Cheese Soup, pg.335
(A huge family favorite here!)

The soup was so good and filling that we had some leftover. Jaxson and I finished it, happily, the next day! ;)


There are Trim Healthy Mama recipes all over pinterest and facebook! You can even (once you grasp the concepts they put forth) make up your own recipes to share! If you have adopted the THM eating lifestyle, I would love to hear about it! I would love to hear your experiences! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away and I will do my best to answer them...although you will never understand it all just from me answering a few questions.You really need to get the book to make it work! :) For me, it was worth the investment!

Happy New Year Friends!

Warmly,
Katy

It's all about Jesus Christ being first....
and second and third and fourth and fifth. 
 What I'm saying is, don't put Jesus first. 
 Jesus is everything. 
 He's not just first in the rank, 
He is everything. 
~Paul Washer

8 comments:

  1. I've been eating a low carb (kind of Paleo) type diet for over a year. My blood sugar is back to normal which was my main goal. I've also lost weight. I've found a lot of help at the forum at http://www.lowcarbfriends.com in the Recipe Suggestion section.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katy,
    I've been doing Trim Healthy Mama for a year now. I've lost a good chunk of weight and am feeling so good and healthy. I still have a ways to go before my goal. Thankful for this learning process. There's so much information in that book! I'm looking forward to hearing how it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katy,
    I've been doing Trim Healthy Mama for a year now and have lost a good amount of weight,plus I feel so healthy! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great book to own. Might see if I can get it here in Australia. I feel upset when I think about all the preservatives in the food we consume. Over the last year I have gone vegetarian/vegan and try to implement whole food eating. I have also have added juicing to the mix. I feel so much better, but my weight is still the same. I need to do more exercise now. A well tabbed book is a good sign :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy your blog and simplicity. I was wondering if you felt the book was worth the $35. Has it been pretty helpful? I also have 3 kids so I need my meals to be things my husband and kids will eat. I had never heard of this book until you mentioned it and I have now seen it on a few blogs. Thanks you so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend this book! I have learned so much and have made meals that my husband and children like! :) It is flexible! :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks! I appreciate your thoughts on this and I plan on ordering it. I am inspired by your weight loss. Hoping I will be as successful.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy