Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Joys of Being a Homemaker

Things that keep my days busy as a keeper at home (in addition to homeschooling!)...


Our dryer (which does not have it's own official "laundry room" behind closed doors....yet) can be an easy catch-all. Socks that lost their partner, money found from jeans pockets and other items would tend to pile up there. It has always bothered me. It is now tidy and makes me smile whenever I walk past it (okay, maybe not every time!). The basket holds dryer sheets (as I like to use them numerous times...until they wear out...although in the spring/summer/fall most of our clothes get hung out on the line). The can holds money found in the wash...as well as the random buttons that find their way to the bottom of the washing machine from time-to-time.

And below is a photo of my laundry basket dresser. Remember when Chris made it for me? I just love it and it works perfectly for our needs! (Beside it, on the floor there, you will see my homemade laundry soap and on top of it is my cleaning basket!)...


In the bathroom, I keep things clean by daily routines of wiping, scrubbing, sweeping, dusting, organizing and re-organizing (...and ~ repeat)...oh, look, there's me! Helllloooo! ;)



The kitchen keeps me busy...cooking, washing dishes (and counters and cupboards), sweeping the floors and cleaning out the fridge...


Ah, there now, that's better! The children take turns putting away the clean dishes...


Under the sink, in case you were curious (because from time-to-time we can tend to be curious about such things, can't we?) holds a couple vases, my castile soap, vinegar, and oils. I also keep my cookie sheets there...


A basket of potatoes...


Preparing a roast for supper one evening (although I often cook these in the crock pot, this time I put it in the oven covered with foil. I let it cook slowly and it fell apart beautifully at suppertime. It was delicious! Also, I peel all the skins off of veggies and put them onto a paper towel then the whole thing goes to the compost. It will all break down, including the paper towel! HERE is a huge list of things you can compost!)...


Madelyn and Jaxson put together this puzzle (...and finished it! They put this same puzzle together 3 days in a row!) while Xavier and I continued working on his schoolwork...


In the dining room...



And the living room...


Jaxson's chalkboard decorating...


We had to make an hour trip to the children's pediatric dentist (who is really wonderful) on Thursday. It was time for cleanings and Madelyn had to get her last two baby teeth pulled (as recommended by our orthodontist). :o) Isn't Mad's skirt cute? That was a thrift store find and was bought for a song! (Hey, Kelly P. ~ Do you notice Jax's pillowcase?!?) :)


So, there was a myriad of things that keep my day filled to over-flowing with busyness. :)
We have lots of things in upcoming weekends to keep us busy too...getting ready for the fall festival (making cider etc.), birthday parties and an anniversary (in a few weeks, Chris and I will celebrate 12 years of marriage!). :)

Thanks so much for stopping by!
I hope you will stop again soon!

Warmly,
Katy

11 comments:

  1. Your organizational skills inspire me! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing photos of your life. Isn't it wonderful to have a clean home? There is nothing like the feel of it too. Thank you for sharing your home and how you stay on top of it all! :) Have a blessed weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  3. It brings a smile to my face to see that Jaxson still uses his pillow case. Love it! I think I have another length of that fabric in my stash. I should make up another so you have a back-up. :-)

    Katy, I never tire of seeing photos of your home! Everything is so lovely! You've been blessed with a good eye for decorating, that's for sure.

    Hugs friend!

    ~Kelly in MN

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, also, never tire of seeing your photos! You are such a wonderful homekeeper!! You inspire me to step it up a notch here in my own home. And...you are looking very slim & trim in that mirror reflection shot!! :) Have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this post. I also re-use my dryer sheets. I actually cut them in half and use a half sheet for each load. Then on the third load I use the two used halfs. So I get three loads out of one sheet!

    Hope you have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely busyness of everyday life!

    Dishes, laundry (we make our own detergent too), cooking...

    There is beauty in all things.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how you do it! Everything is always so clean and in it's place. I feel like I am continually cleaning our kitchen counters and there are just the two of us.
    Love you!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Marie! ;)

      Meeee toooo! I am always wiping my counters down through the day. Nothing in my house stays clean! I just keep cleaning things...over and over! :o) Did you see that dirty dishes picture above? ;)

      Hope you are well, friend!!!
      Lovingly,
      Katy

      Delete
  8. Yes over and over:) ... But with joy!!!
    Love your home and the joy within its walls

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh...this post made me want to jump up and get to it cleaning and tidying up our home! I do very little to no housework on Sunday's, the Day of Rest, so on Monday morning there is always quite a pile of dishes and other things to take care of. Now that our family is growing, (5 people in our house now!) it gets messy a lot faster than when there was just 2 of us!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy