Sunday, September 23, 2012

Covenant Keeping

When God stands as witness to the covenant promises of a marriage it becomes more than a merely human agreement. God is not a passive bystander at a wedding ceremony. In effect he says, I have seen this, I confirm it and I record it in heaven. And I bestow upon this covenant by My presence and My purpose the dignity of being an image of My own covenant with My wife, the church.
~John Piper

(This picture was taken a while ago...before my weight loss! ;)

Today, Chris and I celebrate 12 years of marriage. Considering the fact that I am only 31, that is over a third of my lifetime! It's hard to believe that all those years have passed already....and yet, it feels like we have known each other forever (Nobody knows him like I do...and nobody knows me like he does!). He is the peanut butter to my jelly...although we are individuals with unique qualities, we fit together perfectly.

***Husbands and wives, recognize that in marriage you have become one flesh. If you live for your private pleasure at the expense of your spouse, you are living against yourself and destroying your joy. But if you devote yourself with all your heart to the holy joy of your spouse, you will also be living for your joy and making a marriage after the image of Christ and His church.***
~John Piper

I love that God uses our differences (strengths and weaknesses) to grow and mature one another. Chris is the laid back, relaxed sort-of fella. Meanwhile, he married an uptight, schedule-loving sort-of gal! We can drive each other crazy at times...but in all honesty, we balance each other out beautifully. I praise God for my husband. It is my joy to be his helpmeet...that is what I was created for (and keeping that truth in my mind helps me to remember that my life is truly not about me...the only way to truly love someone is to serve them and put their needs before your own ~ Jesus taught this in word and in deed)!

***When a couple speaks their vows, it is not a man or a woman or a pastor or parent who is the main actor – the main doer. God is. God joins a husband and a wife into a one-flesh union. God does that. The world does not know this. Which is one of the reasons why marriage is treated so casually. And Christians often act like they don’t know it, which is one of the reasons marriage in the church is not seen as the wonder it is. Marriage is God’s doing because it is a one-flesh union that God Himself performs.***
~John Piper

(Oh, look how young we are here!)

Love is the thing that enables a woman to sing while she mops up the floor after her husband has walked across it in his barn boots.  
~Hoosier Farmer




The goal of the Christian husband and wife in their marriage is to have a oneness that is characterized by a loving spiritual and physical bond that glorifies God and thereby enhances personal spiritual growth (Genesis 2:24; Ephesians 5:22-33; Galatians 6:1; Hebrews 13:4). Oneness and spiritual growth are achieved as each partner helps the other become as much like the Lord Jesus Christ as possible. This spiritual growth and oneness in marriage does not happen by chance. It happens in direct proportion to how diligent a couple is in pursuing it.
~Martha Peace
The Excellent Wife


(Chris and his boys)

Before I go, I want to share a few links with you that I know will encourage you in your marriage. I hope you will take the time to check them out! :)

This Momentary Marriage ~ The Story of Ian and Larissa

Staying Married is NOT about Staying in Love ~ John Piper

Paul Washer on Marriage

Paul Washer ~ Why is Marriage Difficult?

The wonder of marriage is woven into the wonder of the gospel of the cross of Christ, and the message of the cross is foolishness to the natural man, and so the meaning of marriage is foolishness to the natural man (1 Cor. 2:14). 
~John Piper

Warmly,
Katy
A Wise Woman Builds Her Home

18 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to you both Katy and Chris. May you both have many many more blessed years together. I am celebrating my 34th birthday with my twin sister today so today is a special day for me also....I loved the saying you had up above about you two being different in ways but you fit together just like peanut butter and jelly. I feel the same about my dear hubby. May you two always be blessed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary to you both, wishing you a wonderful day. Best wishes jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your 12 year Anniversary.... Many many more blessed years for you both.. My dh and I are both on our second marriages, his first wife passed away at 34 and my dh and I were just too young when we married, we did have two wonderful children together and spent 12 years together.. My dh and I just celebrated our 13 year anniversary in August and I feel I have been with him forever as well. We are definetly sole mates...
    Have a wonderful day...
    Prim Blessings
    ~Rhonda~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats and blessings for many more!! We just celebrated our 20th!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary Katy and Chris. Wishing for you many more happy years together!! Enjoy the day. Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!! And it's clear you love him and he loves you... I can feel it through your posts.
    It has been 19 years for us:) an we are still dating:) in fact we went on one last night:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 12th anniversary, Katy and Chris! I wish you many more happy years together. It's obvious from Katy's posts that you both love each other and have a loving family. That is what God wants for us. My husband and I celebrated 37 years on Sept.5. He is still my best friend! I hope you have a wonderful day with many happy memories.
    God bless, Kathy in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary to you and Chris! Thank you for sharing the wisdom and knowledge you do about marriage, being a helpmeet and family! Have a very blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary, Katy and Chris! May you many more blessed years together!

    From a couple who has been married 47 wonderful years last May and very proud of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, congratulations and happy anniversary! You always write about your husband in such a loving, precious way that is a joy to read. I hope you get to do something special together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your wedding pictures are beautiful. Congratulations!! My husband & I just celebrated 21 years of marriage this summer ;). I loved your Piper quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary! May you both be blessed with many more years of happy days together! God Bless You Both!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary! May you be blessed with many more wonderful years together. :)

    Thank you for sharing your life with us. The love you have for Chris shows often.

    Stop by for a visit as I am having a giveaway. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Anniversary! I love all the points pointing towards the Lord. Amen!

    I found your blog via my aunts, so glad I visited! I too got married young :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Anniversary. You have such a lovely home and family. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good word... Our marriages are a picture to the world of our relationships with Christ! Have a great week:)
    Blessings, Roxy
    May God give you many more wonderful years together!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy anniversary, Katy and Chris!

    Tim and I are almost to 25 years this January....

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy