Thursday, September 27, 2012

Weight Loss Update (as requested)

Hello! :)

I have been getting many questions about my continued weight loss and progress. Thanks be to God, I am able to report that I am still losing. I have lost a total of 36 pounds (since my start date of June 1, 2012). People are really starting to notice and that is such a *great* encouragement to me!

Exercise: 

I am still spinning around four times a week at our local YMCA and on any other day (except Sunday) I workout to a DVD or a video on Youtube (for at least 30 minutes). Fat is diminishing and my muscles are growing (and defining). I can't tell you just how wonderful it feels to fit into every piece of clothing I have....actually, some of it is now too *big* for me! ;)

Food:

As far as eating, I basically figure I can eat whatever I want to as long as I stay within my daily ranges for calories, fat, carbs and protein. I choose to eat healthier foods so that I can eat a little more of then to fill me up. Just this morning, X and I were munching on some baby carrots (no dressing...although you can have dressing if you want to...but I hate to waste calories that way!). I like to have plain popcorn popped with only a little salt. I get low calorie bread for sandwiches...I use a little lunch meat, a tablespoon of light mayo and lots of lettuce and I have a delicious, filling sandwich! I like salads too...I use lots of lettuce and I measure everything that goes on it. I weigh out my meat when I have it to eat...that really is the key.

Portion sizes and recording what you eat...

I truly believe measuring out (and weighing) your food is very important (and really not difficult once you make it a routine). A serving is a certain amount. To have a cup of something and call it a serving (when a serving size is only a tablespoon) is filling your body with loads of extra calories and not truly being honest with yourself. A kind reader of my blog (way back at the beginning of my journey) told me about myfitnesspal.com. It is *fantastic*. It's free and it is what I use to record all my exercise and food intake.

Recording what we eat, in my opinion, is so crucial to losing weight and keeping it off. I plan on doing it for the rest of my life, Lord willing (whether it's online or in a notebook). So often, people lose weight then end up gaining it back because they aren't truly keeping an eye on what they are eating anymore. For me, I'm not living to "lose weight" (although it is great as it happens!) but rather just adopting this healthier lifestyle and weight loss is a result of that!

Eating Out: 

We don't eat out much at all. If we do, it is usually from Subway (which has such a great selection for the health-conscious people!). However, if we *are* going to go out to eat, I plan ahead. I don't want to get there and feel stressed about what to eat. Thanks to this world-wide-web, we have the ability to check out each restaurant's nutrition facts (except smaller more local shops...so we just don't go to those yet). Since I am a "planner" anyway, I plan what I will eat from wherever we decide to go! :)

I hope I have answered your questions well! If you have any others, I will try and answer them in the comments section of this post! Thank-you for your encouragement through this journey! 

Warmly,
Katy

25 comments:

  1. So inspiring! It's amazing how many calories one can consume "mindlessly". Great idea to write it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you, Katie! You've set your goals, and you're keeping up with them, something I've not seen many people do. I love eating popcorn for snacks too, although I do use a little butter on it. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update. You are such an inspiration in so many areas!

    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! Congratulations on your continued life changes!! I have started using myfitnesspal too and I love it! Thank you for all of your tips!
    (My husband is thinking I have lost my mind because of all of the organizing I have been doing because of your blog :) )
    Also, I have a question about your weight loss....my main problem is ALWAYS sticking-with-it! I can always go strong for about a month or two and then I lose motivation and quit. I was able to stick with it for about 6 months before I turned 40, because I had my 40th b-day in mind. But....now I don't have anything that keeps me continually going. I have prayed alot about it and asked the Lord for His strength...but I'll still reach for that cookie or two (or 3 or 4)! So...how do you stay motivated about it or stay disciplined on the hard days??

    Thanks Katy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allow yourself to have *one* cookie...but just figure it in to your daily calorie allowance on myfitnesspal. :) Moderation is a key! If you *really* want something...just have a smaller portion of it and figure in the right calories! And other times...you just have to deny yourself. It can be difficult...but definitely something we are to do in all areas of life anyway :).

      Seeing my body go down in clothing sizes is a real motivation for me...plus, I really enjoy spinning/exercising now so I like matching my eating with my exercise. :)

      A good treat is to get the breyer's "no sugar added" vanilla icecream (only 80 cals. per 1/2 cup) and buy cones. They are only 20 cals each. You can have an icecream cone for only 100 calories! It is *such* a treat!!! :)

      Delete
  5. Whoooo hoooo!!! Good for you Katy! That's just great. Don't you feel so much better already?! I knew you could do it. (:
    Also, wanted to send a belated best wishes on your recent wedding anniversary! I also gained a lot of insight from the links you provided. Thanks Katy. (: My husband and I have been married for almost 21 years and you know as well as many of us do that marriage isn't always easy even when two are crazy in love. I always refer back to "Love is patient, Love is kind, Love endures ALL things..." it's very humbling. (:

    Have a great weekend Katy!

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel so much better!!! Thanks so much Mitzi!!

      Delete
  6. Weight loss diets have a habit of being difficult and difficult diets are so difficult to follow. The people who prepare these diets, simply don't understand that all individual cannot be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Katy I'm not sure if you would want to share it, but I'm use my fitness pal also and would live to follow and be an encourager there. It's always nice to share testimonies and encouragement with others. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm SO proud of you Katy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am гegular гeadег, how are you evеrybody?
    Тhіѕ poѕt ρosteԁ at thiѕ sitе is genuіnеly faѕtidiоus.
    Stop by my webpage bet at home

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hiya! I know thіs is kinda off tοpic howeveг , I'd figured I'd ask.
    Wоuld уou bе interеѕtеd
    іn tгaԁing links oг maуbe gueѕt writing а blog aгticle оr νice-verѕa?
    My blog addresseѕ a lot οf thе same topіcs as yours and I feеl we coulԁ
    greаtly benefit from eаch other. If уou're interested feel free to shoot me an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Wonderful blog by the way!
    My webpage : CNA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Тhis info is pгiceless. Where сan I find οut more?
    Take a look at my blog post ... earn money

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! Dо уou use Twіtter? Ӏ'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm undοubtedlу enjoying youг blog аnd look
    fοrward to new poѕtѕ.
    Feel free to surf my web-site Dating

    ReplyDelete
  13. What's up to every body, it's mу first gο to see of this blog; this ωebpаge inсludes amazing and reаllу еxсellent infoгmation deѕіgneԁ for
    visitors.
    My blog post ... automobile

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gooԁ ρoѕt. I learn somethіng tοtally
    new anԁ сhаllenging on
    websites I stumbleupon еѵеryday.
    It will alwayѕ be eхciting to reaԁ content from other
    authors and practicе somеthіng from other ωeb sites.
    Here is my blog work at home

    ReplyDelete
  15. I аm геally imρresseԁ with уοur
    writing skills and also ωith the layout on your blog.
    Is this a paіԁ thеme or dіd yοu modify
    іt уoursеlf? Anywаy keеp uр thе nice quаlity writing, it's rare to see a nice blog like this one these days.
    Feel free to visit my blog post : Online Dating

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your style іѕ νeгy unique сomparеd to other people I've read stuff from. Many thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I'll just bοokmaгk this web site.
    My homepage ... Vehicle Auction

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there wοuld you mind letting mе know ωhich web host
    you're using? I've loaded your blog in 3 comρletely ԁіffeгent bгowѕers
    and I must ѕay thіs blog loads а lot quiсkеr then most.
    Can you suggest a good inteгnet hostіng provider at а
    faіr price? Thanks a lot, І appreciatе it!
    My webpage ; extramoneyinfo.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ӏt's remarkable to pay a visit this website and reading the views of all colleagues regarding this article, while I am also eager of getting know-how.
    Feel free to surf my web site ... Pet

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ηellо to every single оne, it's truly a fastidious for me to visit this site, it consists of precious Information.
    Review my web page : theregistrycleaners.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. Apρreciate thе recοmmendation. Let mе
    try it out.
    Here is my web page ... easy Money

    ReplyDelete
  21. There іs definаtely a lot to leaгn about
    thiѕ ѕubject. I lіkе all the poіnts уou maԁe.
    Also visit my page ; cars auction

    ReplyDelete
  22. Do уοu hаve a spam isѕue on this blog;
    I аlsο аm a blogger, and I ωas wanting to
    know your sіtuation; we have develοpеԁ somе nice methods and wе arе looking to eхсhangе tеchniques ωith
    οthers, please ѕhoot me an emaіl
    if interеѕtеd.
    My website :: make money

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy