Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Being Content....

I will confess...there are times when I feel discontented with things. My home is a (slow) work in progress and I can quickly become frustrated with things that need done/improved. I am truly ashamed of this fact and praying to improve my outlook on things...I desire a truly contented heart. I want to be a woman whose greatest want is to know Christ more and more. Often though, my earthly wants get in the way. Oh, that God would purge me of my selfishness!! This *is* my constant plea. For a discontented wife and mama (at least this one) is not a joy to be around.

So, please know that I am so very full of faults. I am so thankful that it is not up to *me* to earn my way to Heaven, for Christ, the Perfect One, did that for me. He saved my sinful, prideful, discontented, selfish heart. Life is truly but a vapor in the scheme of eternity. The material things of this world will one day disappear and be gone...for they are not truly what matters. The souls and hearts *in* my home (and all over God's Creation) are what matter! Sometimes I need to be more conscious of this.

Here is some encouragement I am posting for myself...and maybe for you, if you ever feel this way too at times...


"Christian contentment, therefore, is the direct fruit of having no higher ambition than to belong to the Lord and to be totally at His disposal in the place He appoints, at the time He chooses, with the provision He is pleased to make.
It was with mature wisdom, then, that the young Robert Murray McCheyne wrote, ‘It has always been my aim, and it is my prayer, to have no plans with regard to myself.’ ‘How unusual!’ we say. Yes, but what people noticed about McCheyne was how content he was to pursue one driving ambition: to know Christ (Phil. 3:10). It is not accidental that when we make Christ our ambition we discover that He becomes our sufficiency and we learn contentment in all circumstances."

In Christ Alone, by Sinclair B. Ferguson, pg. 190

Consider Jesus. Know Jesus. Learn what kind of Person it is you say you trust and love and worship. Soak in the shadow of Jesus. Saturate your soul with the ways of Jesus. Watch Him. Listen to Him. Stand in awe of Him. Let Him overwhelm you with the way He is.

-John Piper

Let us act on what we have, since we have not what we wish.
-John Henry Newman


Warmly,
Katy

10 comments:

  1. Hello Katy just wanted to say my daughter-in-law and myself prayed together just this morning about being content. Even some of the blogs I look at leave me feeling like I am missing out. But thankd God I know the truth as you do by your post. Blessings Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way very often.. I need to take my eyes off everyone else and concentrate on my own heart.. <3 thank you for the post truly encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy, Thank you for your openness to share the truth about our sin nature. As you have refreshed me may the promise be yours that you are refreshed today too! It is so easy to get caught up in the things we can see. But may we hold fast that which we can not see are so much more than what we understand. Your lovely compiled thoughts and truth gathered, washes my heart and spirit. I cry out with you friend, that there be less of me and more of Christ, that my selfishness be winnowed and blown away like chaff. Praying with you, Angelia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggle with contentment too. The blog world can sometimes make that it even harder. I love your post though, thanks for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy, I truly understand what you are saying, I find myself being eager for things to be done and completed, but then in turn I think, I need to reflect how lucky I am to have a wonderful home, a loving and caring husband, and hard working as well.. These things are just things and they really don't matter, what matters is our beliefs and love that we have in ourselves and our families... In time all will come together.. I laugh because I am the type that wanted it done yesterday, it's hard for me as well to keep my patients in waiting for task to be completed.. I try to complete them myself and sometimes accomplish them, others make it worse. lol.... Have a wonderful day..
    prim blessings
    ~Rhonda~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find contentment always just within my grasp; but not quite close enough to firmly grab ahold of it. No one is perfect but sometime I feel that I have failed on so many levels, by fighting with my husband more than I should and losing my patience with my teenage daughter and dealing with a relative that has a terminal illness and is not making peace during his last days, rather creating hard feelings & anger for many. Sometime saying you love someone just isn't enough; they need to be shown it also. I need to get back into the routine of church, I find peace when I am there.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it true? I think we all fall short and glorious it is to have a Savior who helps us and loves us and brings us back to remember our divine mission of motherhood ~ I am so thankful to be reminded so I don't forget! God Bless and have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for such an honest and moving post. I am at a spot in my life where I share many of the same feelings. Praying for patience and guideance to happiness. It is tricky, this faith thing. Hugsss to you my friend. We will find our way...with the Lord at our side.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been reflecting on this post, trying to come up with words for the feelings I share that are similar. I find that with the changing of the seasons (marking the passing of time) my feelings of "contentment" or "discontentment" become stronger. The end of a season raises many questions in my mind which I tried to explain in my blog today. Because I am usually so content in my life these days, I fear what tomorrow will bring. My weakness is in being able to "trust" in the Lord. That is what I pray for each day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katy,
    I really love your blog and love your mommy heart. Thanks for being so honest and down to earth!

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy