Friday, April 1, 2011

Wise Words

"That's the way things come clear. All of a sudden. And then you realize how obvious they've been all along."
Madeleine K. L'Engle

I read, somewhere, that when we work hard at improving ourselves, we actually end up worse...because if we truly think about it, we are focusing,then, on *self*. But...the best way to improve who we are is to *love* and *do* for others!

It was then, it hit me like a ton of bricks. (notice above quote) In my attempt to "better" myself...I am continually thinking of myself! That's just all wrong! It got my mind all in twists and knots. Being selfish is the last thing I want to be...but is actually what I am making myself when I keep trying to be "better". I desire to develop my character, instead, by focusing on Jesus and His love....and in focusing on others.

Wisdom, in words of others, that I find encouraging:

Humility does not mean thinking less of yourself than of other people, nor does it mean having a low opinion of your own gifts. It means freedom from thinking about yourself at all.
William Temple

What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself.
Abraham Lincoln
A man wrapped up in himself makes a very small bundle.
Benjamin Franklin

Humility is to make a right estimate of one's self.
Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Snow has covered our area, again. The top picture of this post is what I awoke to, this morning....quite beautiful, but a bit depressing on the first day of April! I was blessed, however, by getting to visit my sister and spend lots of time snuggling Eloise today! That was definitely a reason for a joy-filled heart! It's evening, now, and I don't have much time. Dinner needs prepared and my family needs my ever-loving attention! So, quickly, I will just share some photos from the past few days!

Few things are better than being able to enjoy vegetables from the garden, on a cold day!

The children, playing legos...

Candles give my home a cozy feeling inside, when the weather is chilly outside!

My first time making monkey bread...

Cinnamon-Swirl bread, fresh from the oven...

...then quickly cut and enjoyed!

Schoolwork...


Snow...

The best way to start and end the day...

Thank-you for visiting! I hope you enjoy your weekend ahead! I hope you, unlike us, are enjoying warmer temperatures! ;)

Kindly,
Katy :)
He must increase, but I must decrease. ~John 3:30

13 comments:

  1. glad you could come over!!

    that monkey bread and cinnamon swirl bread look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very wise words, Katy. When we are so busy focused on ourselves we miss what needs attention elsewhere — how we can reach out to others. It gave me cause to stop and do some thinking. Thanks!

    Have a nice, warm evening snug in your home with your family. I enjoyed the kiddles today, even if I had to leave a bit earlier than I had planned.

    Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, we have a snowstorm right now :-( it's a bit cold, but perfect day to snuggle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great post... as always. The snow was here on Wednesday. Thankfully it is gone. Now if it would only warm up some! :) Your bread looks wonderful. I often enjoy cinnamon swirl bread toasted for breakfast. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a WONDERFUL post!! I so needed to hear that right now!! Thank you, Thank you!! We also had snow last weekend, I'm so glad that it finally melted though!! Have a Blessed weekend...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katy~ We are having warm weather and I truly just hate warm/hot weather. I would gladly trade you my 87' day with your snow anytime :) Have a wonderful weekend.
    Blessings,Joann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such lovely warmth the candles give your posts! Glad you got to have a joy filled heart as you held your little niece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wise words indeed - love the Abraham Lincoln quote! :)

    Your bread looks delightful too, makes me want a midnight snack.

    Have a wonderful weekend, Katy!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. So right on. We do go about this 'improvement' thing all wrong. It is important to recognize sin patterns in our lives, but once we do business with God on that, the focus should be outward, not inward. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful pictures. I love how you document your days. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. dear katy,
    very wise words!!here we have sunshine,it's t-shirt weather.it's to
    warm for my vegetables-seedlings.
    the bread looks very delicious.I think i will it try.yesterday i have
    rolls baked for my family.
    what for wool used you for your discloth?
    i wish you and your family a wonderful cosy weekend,
    blessings regina

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful words Katy!
    Have a nice weekend,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice post....... :)

    We are under a winter storm watch now!!! I need SPRIN! Stop over for a visit. :)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy