Monday, April 4, 2011

Praise & Thanksgiving

We would worry less if we praised more. Thanksgiving is the enemy of discontent and dissatisfaction.
~Harry Ironside

There are moments in my life when I battle the flesh...sometimes it just feels easier to be like *the world*. It can be such a struggle....other times it's not. What is the variable in these times? The amount of my consumption of God's Word and my out-pouring of praise and thanksgiving to Him (or the lack there of).

Raw truth...
My flesh wants to be in *control* of every situation...
My flesh always wants to be *right*...
My flesh wants to be *special* and *flattered*...
My flesh wants to eat whatever it wants...
My flesh wants, wants, wants.

My head hangs, ashamed. Struggling with the desires of the flesh depresses me. It causes me to be discontent and frustrated. Discontentment leads to a lack of patience and joy. It's one thing I can truly say I hate (and I don't use that word lightly).

I am so thankful, though, that God is stronger than the flesh. As I struggle with self, He is always there...loving me...Not because I deserve it, nor earned it...but because Jesus earned it *for* me. As I, in selfishness, start turning away, He gently tugs my heart back to Him. And so I dive, back into His Word and through crying out to Him and realize...

True Joy...
God *is* in control of every situation.
God *is* always right.
God *is* special and deserves my utmost praise.
God *is* the food I need to nourish my body with.
God is, is, is.

He knows how my heart beats. He knows my struggles and cares. He puts just the right things in front of me through His scriptures and through the Holy Spirit, expressed through the words of another.

So, the way to defeat feelings of discontentment, dissatisfaction and selfishness is to speak words of praise and thanksgiving to the *only* One who is deserving of it! Staying planted in His Word and in constant conversation with Him is essential to keeping my focus right.

I have found Ann V.'s book One Thousand Gifts to be such a blessing. I have read it and will probably re-read it many times. It is a beautiful book that focuses on thanksgiving....constant thanksgiving to God. :) If you haven't read it, you need to. You *will* be blessed. If you can't afford it, borrow it from a friend or even the library. :)



This weekend,
Chris and I worked at organizing our bedroom. With *no* closets in our home, our large bedroom can become a bit of a storage area. This can easily turn into a bit of a *mess*. We will, hopefully soon, be building a wall in our bedroom that will make one section into a closet.





The children spent the weekend playing and working on projects...

Chris and Jaxson, sharing a bowl of crackers and milk...


Outside it's cloudy with a storm on it's way. Madelyn and I are going to make Miracle Bread, together. Then we will join the boys, working on schoolwork. Housework will happen, throughout the day, as well.

I hope if you, like me, struggle with the flesh, at times, that you can find hope and encouragement in what I shared above. And if you haven't before, please visit Ann's site. You will find beautiful words of love, encouragement and joy.

Thank-you for stopping by. Wishing you each a wonderful day ahead.
Kindly,
Katy
He must increase, but I must decrease. ~John 3:30

10 comments:

  1. I've been reading One Thousand gifts as well and it truly has been one of the best books I have ever read. There is so much in life to give thanks to God for, so much to praise about, so much that we miss on a daily basis because we are so often focused on getting to the next thing and checking it off the to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for such wonderful words today. I thank God everyday for the life and family he has blessed me with, I also have to agree that One Thousand gifts is one of the best books that I have read so far this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy,
    Thank you for your wonderful writing. I look forward to reading your blog every day. Your last post couldn't have come at a better time. My husband and I are participating in a bible study about Gratitude. I must say this last week I have not felt very grateful but your post really put things in perspective for me.
    Thanks so much and I look forward to reading your next update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How true it is that Thnakfulness chases away discouragement! Hope you have a ownderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post could not of come at a better time for me!! This is something that I struggle with daily!! My mom just asked me yesterday what book I would like this year for Easter, well now I can call her and tell her One Thousand Gifts. Thank you again for your wonderful post. God Bless You and your Family!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have ready One Thousand Gifts and found it very inspiring and uplifting. I have started carrying my journal with me every where I go, though I must admit to not focusing as much as I ought to or as much as I want to...Thanks for the reminder! Blessings to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always find hope and encougement in what you share! I may not always comment but do always read and look forward to reading what you do have to share! It's very uplifting to me!

    I also don't have much closet space (two smaller than normal closets) in my house. I am a de-cluttering, organizing freak so I work with it. :)

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this post, I needed to hear this...

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet Katy,

    Thanks for sharing. We all struggle with the flesh...and you are right we need to focus our attention on being thankful!

    I have Ann's book and am reading it slowly...

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just discovered your beautiful blog Katy. This post was really lovely and spoke directly to my heart. Thank you so much.
    I will also try and get that book.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy