Friday, May 8, 2015

Hand-Knit Pillow Covers!


My sister was married almost 6 years ago. I had been knitting blocks to stitch together into one big afghan as a gift for her and her new husband. Some of the patterns ended up being bigger than others and weren't able to stitch together correctly. I became quite disappointed about it and it became one of those projects that I set aside....for another day. Days, weeks, months, years went by. I had guilt for not working on it...but I knew it wouldn't work as an afghan so I basically gave up on the whole thing. You can see HERE where I was working on a couple of the panels.

My mom, during a conversation, asked about the afghan. I explained to her my dilemma...the panels weren't going to be able to stitch together evenly....which would have me end up with an absolutely messy looking afghan. She suggested making the panels into pillows instead. You know that little light bulb above the head that you'll see in cartoons? I had that...and it *pinged* on! :)

So....I went to Joann's and found pillow forms for half off (although they were *still* over-priced in my opinion). When I got home, I got right to work. I worked and worked at stitching panels together, around pillows. You can see them in the top picture. Below is a picture of the other side of all the pillows. Every side is a different pattern.


These two are my favorite patterns...



My sister came to town today (and I was too busy snuggling little Audra that I didn't take *one* photo!) and I was so, so excited to be able to *finally* give her their wedding gift (only 6 years late)!!! I am also thrilled to be able to share them with you! Many of you have been reading my blog for years, so you may remember when I started these years ago! Here is the finished product! :)

Thank-you for visiting!
Warmly,
Katy

Linked up to: Keep Calm, Craft On and One Project at a Time

9 comments:

  1. These cushions are beautiful, I love the one that looks like a wheat stalk it is so simple & beautiful.
    I love seeing your handiwork.
    Have a beautiful day, it is already the middle of the morning here in England.
    Fondly Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Have you ever tried loom knitting? The s shaped afghan loom is great for making an afghan all in one piece; no worries about panels matching up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH wow! How beautiful! and i love the music that plays on your blog! What a lovely surprise :) via frontier dreams

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cushions are really something special! The other week I was in town I saw a cushion with knitted cables and I loved it so much. I thought to myself, I need to make these for my lounge this winter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pillows are absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great solution. Maybe your mom could help me with my project that have been sitting around for years unfinished! via Frontier Dreams.

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy