Saturday, May 2, 2015

Easy-to-Peel Fresh Eggs!

Fresh eggs from our chickens are *such* a blessing! They are healthier and taste better! I struggled for a long time with hard-boiling them though. The shells were sooo difficult to get off and I ended up taking most of the white off with the shell! I finally found a way to make *perfect* hard-boiled eggs with an easy-to-peel shell! I have been doing it this way for years now and some friends have expressed an interest on how I do it! I put together a little tutorial for you!

You will need a double boiler/steamer pan or a steamer basket to put inside a pot you have. Put the eggs in the basket and cover with a lid...


Bring a pot of water to boil...


Then set the lidded steam basket on top....


Let the eggs steam for 20-25 minutes....then take them out and blanche them (put them in a bowl of ice water)...


Once the eggs are completely cooled off dry, label and put them in the fridge until you are ready for them...


The peels come off perfectly (of course the example I photographed had a little of the white come off....but 99% of the time that doesn't happen!)...


This method works so, so beautifully! It is great if you are making deviled eggs because the egg whites don't get all torn up and ugly! Also....don't forget to save those egg shells! They go great in the compost or to be used along with planting your garden! :)

If you do (or have) try this method, I'd love to hear how it works for you! We do it all the time here, so I can guarantee you it works! If you have any questions, let me know!!! I will answer you in the comments!

Thanks so much for visiting!
Katy :)

Linked up to:

Raising Homemakers
Homestead Blog Hop 28
The Art of Homemaking Mondays

9 comments:

  1. Hello, Thanks Katy I will be trying this! I would never of guessed that it would take so long to cook them! I do enjoy a hard boiled egg and with fresh ones it is a challenge! Hugs, Happy Spring
    Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny I was thinking about cooking up a pot of eggs today. We have had chickens for 30 years. The secret I learned about fresh eggs was from my children's 4H poultry leader . The reason fresh eggs cause problems is because the outer and inner shell membrane that product a growing chick stick to the egg itself if they are newly laid. Best bet is to stash away a dozen or so and wait a week then do the cooking. I put mine in a pot cover with cold water and a top. Bring to rolling boil and turn off heat. Let sit until one can comfortably place bare hand in water . Then proceed pretty much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this tip! I get so frustrated that when I have to make deviled eggs, I buy store eggs! (GASP!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! Our chickens won't be laying until probably September? We raised them from chicks and it's our first experience doing so. Can't wait to get fresh eggs! Have a lovely day!

    Blessings
    ,Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited to have found this! I love our fresh eggs but peeling them is a trial in my life. Will definitely be trying this out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, I am going to try your method! There is nothing like (frustration at) peeling a fresh egg ;) Thank you for sharing this on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! Will pin too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning! This post has been *featured* this week on the Art of Home-Making Mondays. We do hope to have you link up again this week. Happy Monday to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this - and will certainly be checking this method out..

    Katy - It was fun coming back to your blog - via JES - I haven't visited here in a while. I've missed you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have found if you take a tablespoon and slide it under the shell and run it around under the shell that pretty much the egg comes out clean ....works well for me......Thanks for this hint......Take care of yourselves everyone.....

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy