Saturday, May 18, 2013

Making My Heart Glad...

I have been convicted terribly lately with harboring feelings of discontentment in my heart. We own a home (that I truly love) that needs continual TLC. I struggle with being the type of person who wants to always have things done yesterday! Unfortunately, money and time are not in abundance...which is actually a good thing. The Lord has been teaching me (and re-teaching constantly since I seem to have a thick skull!) that I am truly blessed (which I *know* but always still dream of the new porch I would love to have built on and the desire to finish our siding on the dormers and new windows for the kids' rooms....etc.).

 It's so easy to *want* more in America (seeing that so many around you have a new car, new this, new that etc). But the truth is, even though we are considered among the "poverty" stricken of this country...we are rich in comparison to the world (in the top 1%). (It is easy to forget that many of the people who have brand-new everything are up in debt to their eyeballs! What a terrible burden to carry around!)

I need to remind myself that our worth does *not* come from what we have. This life is just a journey. We live to glorify Christ...our Creator! I don't need the best of everything (or anything, actually)! Oh how I detest the struggle with the flesh! How I wish to be holy and sanctified... completely...but it is a process, all part of the journey. 

Chris and I have chosen what we feel to be the most God-honoring path for our family. We live debt free (except for a bit left on our mortgage) and on one income so that I can be a keeper at home, educating our children at home. We have clothes, shelter, food for our bellies and comforts that most of the world does not. My husband works hard to care for us ~ I cringe to think of my greedy wants. Admitting this is terribly embarrassing as well...but I *know* I am not the only one who struggles with these thoughts and I felt that by sharing my short-comings, that I may encourage you! 

It boggles my mind to know that *the* Creator Himself loves me...that He continually disciplines and teaches me even though I seem to "mess up" in abundance. Oh, how I praise and thank Him for His patience with me. Being His makes me glad...His mercy is so great. In and of myself, I deserve to be smitten down and destroyed...and it would be perfectly just of Him to do so. My heart was wicked and selfish...but thanks be to our Lord Jesus Christ who gave me a new life and a new heart. It is only by *His* perfection, grace, mercy, love, and sacrifice that I can stand before a Holy God and know that I am accepted. Oh how thankful I am that it is *not* dependent upon *my* own goodness...because I would have no hope. His mercies are new every morning! :)

I continually pray that God will keep teaching me and growing me in wisdom and truth. May my heart always be renewed with thanksgiving and gratitude for what I *do* have and not on what I don't. I can always know when I am not spending enough time in God's Word and in solid, Christian reading. I can find myself becoming discontent and frazzled. The more I am in His Word and reading books such as The Excellent Wife or Disciplines of a Godly Woman (as well as many others) the more I realize my proper role as a Godly woman, wife, and mother. 

So many things truly gladden my heart. My cup runneth over and just scrolling through my blog every now and then truly reminds me of all that! 

Taking joy in things around me...

We have been having beautiful spring weather lately. Walking outside, carrying a load of laundry to the clothesline and just drinking in that beautiful sunshine and spring air makes my heart sing praises to God! Green grass, green leaves, blue skies, fluffy clouds, bright sunshine ~ how glorious a creation He has made!


My Ruthers and Jack-Jack...


Fresh eggs from the hens...


Growing seeds...starters as well as in my raised beds...


My Madelyn is always enjoying her knitting! Here she is at my dad's garage where we were getting to visit with my sister and my nieces!


X always loves being at the garage (or at Chris's dad's shop) to help work! He likes working hard and being with the "guys"...


Jaxson...such a silly boy...love that smile!


My niece, Eloise...oh is she a hoot! She always keeps us laughing! She's always surprising us with things she says and does!


And Dinah.....sweet, baby Dinah. You have never seen such a smiley, joy-filled baby until you have met her! She is such a delight. Delightful Dinah...that should be her name. I just love when I get the chance to snuggle her. She immediately brightens my spirits because she flashes that toothless smile my way and I can't help but smile back!


Xavier has been working on a model car. Daddy has been helping him and I love watching them work together! (X would be glued to Chris's hip if he could. Wherever Daddy is, that is where you will find X!)...



Although Chris doesn't cook or anything much, from time-to-time he likes to make some homemade tapioca pudding. It takes a lot of time stirring and mixing...so he plugs in the music and is absolutely hilarious to watch. He dances all over (and even sings) while never missing a beat mixing with his right hand and stirring with his left!


I love it! He makes me giggle!


I realized when going through my pictures, that I have a lot of them (so many things give me joy!)...but alas, writing a blog post can be a bit time consuming and I have been on here long enough. It's time to get other things done around this place! :) So they will have to wait for now...until the next blog post(s), Lord willing! 
I hope my sharing has encouraged you as you seek to live a life pleasing to God. I look forward to the day that I can honestly say that I have no struggles with discontentment or worldly desires. I know that day may only be in Heaven...but I know that I can keep growing in righteousness as Christ as my perfect example. So maybe I will never fully be rid of them (this side of heaven) but I *can* get as close as possible!! :) 
Thank you for coming by! I hope you'll stop again soon! 
Warmly,
Katy

12 comments:

  1. Katy...this post is wondeful. You have such a good perspective of all things. I take many lessons from your blog. Makes me stop and think about my own life and how I am feeling about all my wants and things I do not need. I think, then, about howlucky I am and how I need to appreciate what He has given me.

    God bless, Katy....
    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, Katy, simply yes.
    such a struggle we have in our lives,
    so good just to lay them down,
    in simple gratitude.
    you are Not alone, believe Me!
    this was a very inspiring post,
    thank you.
    blessings on your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is so good to teach us what is real and lasting!

    You desire these real and lasting things, dear Katy and He knows your heart. He has blessed you!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Katy for a post that I needed to read. Thank you for reminding me of what is important. God bless.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy thank you SO much for your honest post this morning it has touch my heart just when I need it. You are such a true blessing for me all the way to Sydney Australia. Your words today also reminded me of what is important as a follower of Christ. Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing. I have been there many times. Sometimes I feel I'm the only one on my street that doesn't have anything nice, but I know that I'm not. Some if my neighbors have told me that both of them have to work just so they can live with new cars and have all the "stuff". That's when I an so thankful for where I am. I have the best life to homeschool my children and be a mother to them. I am glad for God's love and how he helps us so much. I love my life and wouldn't change it. Keep up the good work I love reading your blog you encourage me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great post! A reminder for us all! I think we get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the world and just forget to take the time to look around and enjoy God's creations and to appreciate the things that God has provided us with. Family, friends, health and happiness are taken for granted way too ofthen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is a struggle for most of us!! I think its hard living in a society of want it/have it now, it truly makes it hard to stay out of debt, but you are doing the right thing, you are home, caring for your family, doing what God has called you to do, and most times that means we sacrifice the desires we want, but its so worth it in the end! We lived in a mobile home for many years because we chose for me to stay home with our children, did we have a lot, no, but we had EVERYTHING we NEEDED!! God bless you and your family Katy, you are truly inspirational in this world we live in today!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. On Facebook there has been a sign kind of picture that says, "if God is all you have, then you have everything you need". I think I need to write that on my bathroom mirror, so I am constantly reminded of who and what really matters.

    Bless you and yours,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Katy, Just a hello to you!! I know what you're saying and it is so true of most of us. I have found that even watching certain cooking shows and magazines can pull me in.
    Keep your heart open and He will help us through these times!
    For we are rich in grace and faith through Him.
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katy,

    I could have written this post. This is a struggle that I have often. I can tell you that the "stuff" doesn't feel the void. Well, maybe for a few. I am sure you know it.

    Thank you for this post. It is a great reminder for me.

    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful post!!!!! Indeed a lot to be thankful for

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy