Thursday, May 30, 2013

In the Garden...

Gardening requires lots of water ~ 
most of it in the form of perspiration.  
~Lou Erickson


This past Monday, since Chris had off from work (and it was a beautiful day) we set out to get our things planted in the *big* garden. We planted rows and rows of potatoes, corn and green beans. Before planting, we (actually, Pa and Chris) used the tractor to lay plastic down first. Then we made holes and planted our seeds. We are hoping this really cuts down on the amount of weeds we get!

We are planting all the things I plan on canning and using a lot of in the big garden. The raised garden beds at our house are growing onions, carrots, peas, broccoli, lettuce (and eventually pumpkins and watermelon)! I don't necessarily plan on canning those things. We will just eat them fresh as they are harvested!


Everybody works together. Teamwork makes the job easier!


Madelyn and Ma working together...


We plan on having enormous amounts of green bean plants! (The backs of my leg muscles were killing me afterwards...I looked like a frog as I went down the row planting all the seeds after Chris cut the holes!)...


Mama and Jaxson...


Whew! Time for a rest! We were busy there most of the day! I got some sun (which started out a little red but has now turned into a nice brown). I lather Chris and the children with sunscreen...but never put any on myself. I like to get a bit of color. :)


Are you planting a garden this year? If so, what are you planting? I would love to hear about it! :)

We have been so busy....between finishing up the school year, gardening, church activities, housework, mowing, weddings, showers, dedications and lots of other responsibilities ~ we are always going, going, going! :) It's a good (but exhausting) sort of busy. Each and every night, I am so grateful to be able to lay my head down on my pillow in my wonderfully soft, comfortable bed. Because of this, I don't sit and have time to think out *thought-provoking* posts...lately they have just been simple, journaling-type posts....a way to keep memories from slipping away. 

I do appreciate that you still come by to visit. You each encourage and bless me with your comments and emails. *Thank-you* for them! And now, it is my bedtime. It's been a long day and there is more to keep me busy tomorrow (Lord willing). So I am unashamedly saying "so long for now" and carrying my tired body up to bed where I can collapse in a heap and drift off to sleep! 

Wishing you each a happy day (and weekend) ahead!
Warmly,
Katy

12 comments:

  1. Oh Katy isn't it just wonderful to be out digging in the dirt.. We always have a good size garden as well and it is just hubby and I.. All of our children are grown.. But I love having fresh veggies, i freeze and can as well..We have in our garden this year.. Tomatoes I prefer heirloom tomatoes and hubby likes early girls so we have both I have a variety of heirloom one favorite is hillbilly...we have early and late cabbage, onions, brussel sprouts, cucumbers pickling for pickles and straight eight for eating,zucchinni, crock neck yellow squash, melon, lettuce, spinach we get a good deals on peppers and green beans through the Amish... I have a herb garden with basil, oregano and I need to get parsley to plant.. We have raised bed with strawberries, I have already harvested my rhubarb, and this year we planted blackberry bushes... We have a few apple trees, cherry trees and a plum tree that won't be ready for a few more years.. But I make all my own jelly and jams as well.. Do you have fruit trees or berries? Sorry for such a long post, so enjoy reading your blog

    Blessings for a wonderful bounty of frah goods..
    Rhonda in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. The big garden reminds me of my grandparents. They always planted several big gardens. I have tomatoes, zucchini, pickle cucumbers, peppers and green beans in my garden. There is eating cucumbers, strawberries, cabbage, broccoli and lettuce in the raised beds. I also planted carrots, but they don't seem to be doing much.

    I am looking forward to seeing those full jars line up! Have fun picking all of those green beans. I am already tried thinking about that hot, back aching job! Seriously it is worth every ache.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have corn, tomatoes, carrots, onions, green beans, 3 kinds of peppers, and lettuce planted. Our garden is not nearly the size of yours though!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katy,

    We are also putting our garden in. This year we added a 2nd plot for corn, potatoes & onions. Plot 1 contains green peas, lettuce, cucumbers, Swiss chard, spinach, tomatoes, bell & jalapeno peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, green cabbage, okra, zucchini, summer squash, acorn squash, pumpkins and watermelons.

    We are praying all gardeners have an abundant harvest this year.

    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that quote you shared...

    Yes!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post katy, wishing you a beautiful weekend, best wishes x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just came in from planting, and thought I would sit down a little and catch my breath and read blogs... Your garden is wonderful and inspiring. We are not doing anything that big this year; just the beds near the house. Garlic, onions, a small amount of potatoes, tomatoes, all kinds of squash, chard, beets, carrots, lettuce and herbs. I have some new strategies that I hope will improve my harvest, and decrease weeds... we'll see; love your plastic. Also, I paused here so long, because I enjoyed reading about your garden and your family, and your music is so, so soothing and I didn't want to turn it off.
    Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Katy,

    We had a nice yield from our raised garden beds that hubby and our boys built last year. We've planted pretty much the same as last year: corn, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, Heirloom and husky cherry tomatoes, pumpkin, zucchini, pickling and slicing cucumbers, green beans, carrots, snap peas, radishes, garlic chives, basil, dill, and lettuce. We might plant some sugar baby melons as well. I like planting yellow and orange Marigolds here and there in the garden to add color. It's also fun in the Fall to use the cornstalks to decorate. Most of our plants we start from seed. Yep, it's a lot of work, (: but the work and watching the growth to harvest is so rewarding isn't it?!
    Gosh Katy, your face looks so slim! Have you met your goal?
    Enjoy the weekend!

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mitzi! :)

      Thank you for your kind words! No, I haven't hit my goal yet...I wanted to lose a total of 75 lbs...but I'll get there, eventually! :)

      Warmly,
      Katy

      Delete
    2. Oh, I don't doubt that you will! (: You look so fit that I thought you had probably met your goal, but hadn't mentioned it. I just think it's great how you've hung right in there and made a lifestyle change.
      My daughter and I are running / walking (whatever) (: our first 5k this coming weekend. It's a "Color Run" if you've heard of that. It's a benefit walk / run for children's charities. I'm a bit nervous, but she and I are excited too! Don't you have another 5k coming up as well?
      Take care and have a great week ahead. I've really enjoyed all the pictures you've shared lately. Thanks Katy!

      Mitzi

      Delete
  9. Katy I love your simple journal~ey blog!!!! You dont have to have thought provoking posts all the time. I think a life lived with joy is a great testimony!!
    What an awesome garden!! The extent of mine is one pepper plant, one tomato plant and a hanging basket of strawberries..oh and my 8 year old planted one potato:) He was so excited he dug it up the other day and now there is two so he quickly buried it back up :):) He also has a bean plant

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy