Friday, May 10, 2013

"It is not enough to be busy; so are the ants..."

"...The question is: what are we busy about?" 
~Henry David Thoreau

It sure has been a busy week...I feel that often I just can't find the time to sit and ponder the words I will actually type out into a blog post. Blogging can be very time consuming. I often put it off because I just feel like my brain is fried! ;) It's rainy today so I have a chance to sit and *think* a bit. If it was nice out, I would be out mowing or planting!

We are nearing the end of our homeschool year. We are finishing up workbooks and projects and then I will prepare our portfolios. We had our last day at our homeschool co-op for this year which was bittersweet (although we still have our awards day/picnic so we look forward to that!). It will be nice to relax more this summer (from schooling) but other sorts of busyness will arise. I should be planting right now...but we need to turn up our raised beds again....and then get out to the big garden too.

Madelyn working on an art project at our homeschool co-op...



Jaxson and his buddy getting ready for a performance they put on one night...



Daily chores keep me constantly busy....the normal dishes, laundry, tidying and sweeping floors...plus I keep focusing on different areas where I do a little deeper cleaning! It always feels so good to get something cleaned and organized (although, it's such a continual process, isn't it? There's always *something* to do)! We have been working at cleaning bedrooms (a constant process as well...oh dear!). As well as hoping to prepare our addition to begin building walls in there and putting up drywall! 


I have been continuing on with my Bible reading...I am in 2 Corinthians right now. In addition to that, I am reading a book by Jonathan Edwards ~ Altogether Lovely. It describes the beauty, glory and excellency of Jesus Christ! I would love to hear what you are reading lately!

Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose heart. But we have renounced disgraceful, underhanded ways. We refuse to practice cunning or to tamper with God's word, but by the open statement of the truth we would commend ourselves to everyone's conscience in the sight of God.  And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing.  In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.  For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
~2 Corinthians 4:1-6 (emphasis mine)



We have so much going on in the next couple of months. Bridal showers, weddings, gardening, canning, planning for the next school year, church events, picnics, Dinah's dedication and more (lots, lots more!)! I get tired just thinking about it all...but we just take it one day at a time and find joy in each thing we have the privilege of celebrating!


May I say, though, that despite the busyness that Spring brings with it...I am *so* glad it has arrived! I thought the snow may never go! It is an absolute joy as I step out the door to head to spin class early in the mornings and hear the birds chirping and singing away! Their songs make my heart glad! 


You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives.  
~Clay P. Bedford

Jaxson made his *own* microscope! It actually works too! I love his inventive thinking!


He has a light in it and the eye piece is made from an old set of binoculars, I think. He used an old teapot and fashioned it all together! Love this sweet memory!


Xavier working on some science work during schooling...



And now, I really must go. I have bedrooms to check (as they were being tidied while I was typing this out) and lunch to prepare. Although I folded a load of laundry earlier, while the children did some independent schoolwork, I think there is another load ready and waiting to be folded! Unfortunately, it's been raining today so I have had to make use of the dryer rather than getting to hang the clothes out in the glorious sunshine. :)
Thanks so much for coming by. I know I have been quite negligent in my posting (not that you are waiting on the edge of your seat or anything)! I always have good intentions...but before I know it, a whole week has gone by! I don't know how the time has started passing so quickly. As a child, I felt like time went s-l-o-w! Now that I *have* children, the time flies by much-too-quickly! 
I hope you are well. Stop by again when you can! 
Warmly,
Katy 

8 comments:

  1. I have the same chalkboard labels that you do but you seem to be better able to write on yours. Is there some special chalk that makes it look so nice? Mine does not look near as nice as your does!

    You can see how the writing on mine looks here http://outoftheashesirise.blogspot.com/2013/04/almost-done.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy! :)

      I use chalkboard markers...they are sooo nice to write with! :)

      Delete
  2. I am having the same problem with blogging. By the time I sit down in the evening I am beat! This time of year keeps me busy from the time I get up until late in the evening. I love it! I am thankful for the rain today as it as forced me to slow a bit.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. enjoy your weekend Katy, I always enjoy your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings...Katy. I am reading the bible chronologically for the year. But I started in the Spring. Have a good Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Miss Katy,

    I am determined not to think about school for at least a week when I finally determine that we're done. ~smile~

    I visited a friend this week in the hospital with her new baby, we have a wedding tomorrow, and another baby shower next week. This added to school, working at the church, working in the home, and just living life.

    Have a terrific May,
    Laura
    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katy!

    You sound like me lady! There just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day, AND the older I get, the faster the days (and years) go by. (; Enjoy them all! Have a wonderful Mothers' Day.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  7. My brain is often fried by the end of the day as well:):)

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy