Saturday, November 3, 2012

What I'm Reading...


I don't often read fiction novels. It isn't that I don't like them...because when I do read them, I typically enjoy getting *lost* in the story. The truth is that I am oft-times deep into a theology book instead. I love to learn and really make myself *think*. With theological books, you have to do just that...think!

It *is* nice, though, to be able to enjoy an easier read from time-to-time. I have always enjoyed Amish books from authors such as Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter. I recently found out about Vannetta Chapman who also writes about the Amish. Actually, I just finished reading her book Material Witness.

I believe there is a book prior to this one (that I haven't read), so when I first began reading it, I was a bit confused as references were made to previous happenings that I wasn't aware of. I wasn't sure if I was truly going to enjoy the book or not...sometimes details about what people were thinking in the book didn't seem necessary for the story line. As I continued on with my reading, though, I found myself really getting enthralled with the story! With each turn of the page, I found myself not wanting to put the book down (although as a busy homeschooling mother and wife, I found it necessary to close the book at times!).

As the story goes on, you find that the details you learned in the beginning about each person in the book helps you to know them better and follow along in the telling of the tale. I always love a good mystery and Material Witness was full of it (minus gore and terrifying details). It was just enough suspense to keep the pages turning without the horror story type of fear.

You can find a brief description of the story HERE to see if it would be something you are interested in! I would like to read the other books that go along with this series as I have grown quite fond of the characters in this book! It's funny how that happens, isn't it?

The end of the book left me wanting more! I truly hated to reach the last page! I want to know what happens next with the folks that I have enjoyed reading about! If you enjoy Amish stories and/or mysteries...I definitely recommend this book! If you have already read this book, I would love to hear what you thought of it!

What have you been reading lately?

Warmly,
Katy

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE reading the Amish books by the authors you mentioned! At the moment I'm reading a Christmas in Apple Ridge by Cindy Woodsmall! It's an Amish book also! It has (3) different stories in the one book. I'm on the second one. It's so good thus far!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to look for this book and the others that go with the story. You made it sound very interesting :) Can't wait to read it. I read my bible and study books,and such,but I do love reading Christian based fiction novels. Amish being my favorite. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this book....blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know I'm french but I love to read amish novels!!!!!! I received a kindle as gift last Christmas and I can bought some english books very easy yet. I just finished the storekeeper daughter from Wanda Brunstetter. Just enjoy this book. Be blessed my sweet friend
    Sandra from France

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Amish fiction too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. José van MerrebachNovember 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM

    Besides my Bible that I read every day, I have recently read books from Beverly Lewis, the Rose trilogy: 'the thorn', 'the judgement' and 'the mercy' which is the third book in this trilogy, which I'm reading at the moment. I just love books about the Amish!
    At the moment I'm also reading books from Karen Kingsbury: the firstborn series: 'fame', and at the moment I'm reading 'forgiven'.
    Of course I'm all these book reading in Dutch, although some of the books from Beverly Lewis I also have in English.
    I have the weird habit to read several books at the same time, but that's no problem for me. I just pick up a book and in no time I have 'lost' myself again into the story!
    Greetings from José, the Netherlands.
    (sorry for all the spelling mistakes....)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the review, Country Blossom. And I appreciate everyone's comments about Amish fiction. I have a real heart for these simple people. Book 1, Falling to Pieces, won the ACFW mystery of the year award, and book 2, A Perfect Square was a CBD bestseller. Thank you for reading Amish fiction! Blessings`

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't read lot of fiction either, but when I do I love Amish novels so thank you for the recommendation!! I just finished reading Papa's Wife...which is one of my all time favorite books so I've read it several times. Before that I read "First We Have Coffee"...another all time favorite of mine (biography). :). I'm reading through the Anne of Green Gables series with one of my girls and I think I LOVE it more each time I read it ;).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say, this novel by Vanetta Chapman is enthralling! The impressive thing about the story is that it will keep you at the edge of your seat until the last page. The transition from one mood to another is flawless. A book that is full of suspense and captivating characters.

    Regards,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete

I am always so grateful to read your comments! I thank you for the time you took to visit and share your thoughts with me. :o)
May you enter as a stranger and leave as a friend!
Warmly, Katy